Magnetic media

• @boomzilla said:

When you're struggling to eat, you're not worried that the meat in the pot is endangered.
    ...and it's awfully cynic and criminal, when you know this very true statement, to exploit it for the benefit of people already far beyond rich.That's what our countries companies are doing, with the complicity of our governments and of those of the exploited countries. Consequences of this ? Terrific salaries for distant workers, health issues due to bad work environnement, and any other aspect of this modern type of slavery.

• @cfgauss said:

This is totally going to blow your tiny little mind.
    Yes, a totally off-topic is indeed blowing my mind. (btw, thanks for having make me laugh a bit, this thread was becoming a little too aggressive)

• @toshir0 said:

@boomzilla said:

When you're struggling to eat, you're not worried that the meat in the pot is endangered.
    ...and it's awfully cynic and criminal, when you know this very true statement, to exploit it for the benefit of people already far beyond rich.That's what our countries companies are doing, with the complicity of our governments and of those of the exploited countries. Consequences of this ? Terrific salaries for distant workers, health issues due to bad work environnement, and any other aspect of this modern type of slavery.

I remember when this site used to be dedicated to technology, beating the crap out of hippies with a tire iron and putting your balls in pstorer's mouth while he slept and taking a photo.  But mostly the last two.

I miss the days when our insane, trollish elements were VB-loving Canadians and that guy who wrote a gopher server in Forth.

• ♿ (Parody)

@toshir0 said:

@boomzilla said:
    For the employees involved, they probably are terrific salaries.  Where else could they make as much money?!

More seriously, this seems to be a necessary step towards first world living standards.  If you've found the magical shortcut, then please let the world know. I suspect the quickest way is for a more advanced and better governed nation to invade and or colonize and get rid of the problem government, but IIRC, that's eeeeevil. Of course, even after the invasion, you have to leave something behind that's better, and that's still a tough process.  India, for one, finally seems to be getting there.

Consider that these people are typically starting off with very little infrastructure and education.  Just as first world countries did.  Their inexpensive labor is their competitive advantage, and allows them to raise their living standards.  Of course, many have governments that are basically kleptocracies, and so the people never really benefit.  Note that the problem isn't people in, say, the US buying cheap sneakers.

Of course, they put people out of work who were doing similar jobs in countries with higher standards of living, etc.  In turn, those more advanced countries sell other things to the developing countries, such as machine tools that they can use to build more stuff and sell to rich white people. Eventually, if allowed, they'll likely create something equivalent to the places where they started by selling their stuff.  Look at the evolution of post-war Japan.  From cheap sweatshop merchandise to decadent first world demographic bomb in about 60 years.

• ♿ (Parody)

@morbiuswilters said:

@toshir0 said:
    blah...blah...blah...
    I miss the days when our insane, trollish elements were VB-loving Canadians and that guy who wrote a gopher server in Forth.
    Nobody shares ignorance like this!

• So I installed my new video card cooler, and I was able to play some Fallout 3 again. I produced this amusing 1-2 of images.

The cooler is totally great. The card runs about 35-40°C, now, instead of 56+°C — and its fan is running at its minimum! I'm going to see if I can get some extra mileage out of it by overclocking.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@toshir0 said:

@boomzilla said:
    shareholders
    ...are all thieves. Only actual work
    earns money.
    MPS? Is that you?

Rhetorical scenario, you lend your mate $X (of your own hard earned) to start up their own company. After a while they turn a profit, and repay you (say) 5 years later exactly $X, and continue to make a profit.

How pissed would you be? By the way, how are you going to pay for your bills in retirement? I'm certain that problem is fairly common across the planet where 'money' is earned, and bills in retirement aren't usually paid for the work you do when you're 90, but funded by money that was used to buy shares/gilts or (certainly in the case of the UK state pension) ponzi scheme. All of which are not income from work you've personally done.

• @toshir0 said:

@cfgauss said:
    This is totally going to blow your tiny little mind.
    Yes, a totally off-topic is indeed blowing my mind. (btw, thanks for having make me laugh a bit, this thread was becoming a little too aggressive)

Missing, of course, the fact that I was entirely serious and referring to law of large numbers like arguments and ergodic theory, and is the reason every mathematician in their right mind takes free-market economics seriously.

• @PJH said:

@toshir0 said:
    @boomzilla said:
    shareholders
    ...are all thieves. Only actual work earns money.
    MPS? Is that you?

Rhetorical scenario, you lend your mate $X (of your own hard earned) to start up their own company. After a while they turn a profit, and repay you (say) 5 years later exactly $X, and continue to make a profit.

How pissed would you be? By the way, how are you going to pay for your bills in retirement? I'm certain that problem is fairly common across the planet where 'money' is earned, and bills in retirement aren't usually paid for the work you do when you're 90, but funded by money that was used to buy shares/gilts or (certainly in the case of the UK state pension) ponzi scheme. All of which are not income from work you've personally done.

You're not thinking big enough.  What about food?  Under the labor theory of value, a person who lives near verdant nature and simply gathers his food without doing much work does not deserve to eat as much as someone who works 16 hours a day trying to grow wheat in a desert.

In fact, the problem with the labor theory of value is even deeper than that; utility cannot be used as a measurement of value.  Hence, if I spend 100 hours digging a giant hole in the middle of nowhere for no reason that benefits nobody, the value of that hole is equal to 100 hours spent digging irrigation ditches that will feed thousands.  Because the only basis of value is the labor done.  If Marxists cede that the utility of work should have some bearing, their theory falls apart, because utility is a subjective and relative valuation made by individuals.  And when people are allowed to make their own valuations, the rest of Marxism goes out the window.

The only way Communism can maintain logical consistency is by demanding that value is an absolute, objective measure based on the labor that went into something.

@morbiuswilters said:

You're not thinking big enough.  What about food?  Under the labor
    theory of value, a person who lives near verdant nature and simply gathers his
    food without doing much work does not deserve to eat as much as someone who
    works 16 hours a day trying to grow wheat in a desert.
    Ah. That would clearly fall under hyperbole, and thus would be missed by toshir0. I was trying to keep the rhetoric simple so they could construct simple straw men. And there you go, enabling them to make corn dollies....

• Wow. Such a work to answer all these points. I think that if the ideas I've written were this absurd, this bad, and this silly, you all wouldn't have had to deploy all these means. I understand it upsets you because it's totally endangering your life-style. But at least don't think I'm putting myself in a better role. I'm just like you all, raised and fed in the western rich countries. But I just want to live in a moral way, and stop being a distant oppressor of the south countries peoples. I won't try to participate to no blood-bath-style revolution, I've always disliked communist theories (although morbius just want me to be that man... why ? can't really say...), so stop arguing about communism : I don't care.

But I think we're all missing the main problem, that screws capitalism and communism also : ressources aren't in infinite quantity. It's a finite planet, you know ? Hoping for an infinite growth is just illogic. Ever heard of peak oil ? Your well-learned theories about the Market doing so well for all people's good is a nonsense for that reason. Long-term issues never won't be important as long as there's short-term benefits for shareholders. When oil's prices will be ten or a hundred times the price it is today, what will happen ? I hope then solidarity will prevail on competition. But America has another solution... moronic survivalists.

@toshir0 said:

Wow. Such a work to answer all these points. I think that if the ideas I've written were this absurd, this bad, and this silly, you all wouldn't have had to deploy all these means. I understand it upsets you because it's totally endangering your life-style. But at least don't think I'm putting myself in a better role. I'm just like you all, raised and fed in the western rich countries. But I just want to live in a moral way, and stop being a distant oppressor of the south countries peoples. I won't try to participate to no blood-bath-style revolution, I've always disliked communist theories (although morbius just want me to be that man... why ? can't really say...), so stop arguing about communism : I don't care.

But I think we're all missing the main problem, that screws capitalism and communism also : ressources aren't in infinite quantity. It's a finite planet, you know ? Hoping for an infinite growth is just illogic. Ever heard of peak oil ? Your well-learned theories about the Market doing so well for all people's good is a nonsense for that reason. Long-term issues never won't be important as long as there's short-term benefits for shareholders. When oil's prices will be ten or a hundred times the price it is today, what will happen ? I hope then solidarity will prevail on competition. But America has another solution... moronic survivalists.

Would I be totally out of order to think that this isn't MPS, but someone else?

Just askin'...

• ♿ (Parody)

@toshir0 said:

I think that if the ideas I've written were this absurd, this bad, and this silly, you all wouldn't have had to deploy all these means.
    I see that in addition to economic ignorance, you follow a school of logical ignorance.

@toshir0 said:

But I just want to live in a moral way, and stop being a distant oppressor of the south countries peoples.
    I believe that you believe this, but what you seem to be advocating does exactly that.

@toshir0 said:

But I think we're all missing the main problem, that screws capitalism and communism also : ressources aren't in infinite quantity. It's a finite planet, you know ? Hoping for an infinite growth is just illogic.
    Yes, this is an important issue.  And for better or for worse, there doesn't seem to be a better way to allocate scarce resources than through a market.  To paraphrase, a market economy is the worst kind of economy, except for all the other kinds.

@toshir0 said:

When oil's prices will be ten or a hundred times the price it is today, what will happen ? I hope then solidarity will prevail on competition. But America has another solution... moronic survivalists.
    We'll use something else.  Or make our own oil.  Or we'll all die. But I don't plan to wallow in my own angst and spout nonsensical misanthropic platitudes like you apparently do.  I try to make my life better.  These people you're oppressing:  they're also trying to make their lives better, whether you want to let them or not.

• @toshir0 said:

I think that if the ideas I've written were this absurd, this bad, and this silly, you all wouldn't have had to deploy all these means. I understand it upsets you because it's totally endangering your life-style.

Another fallacy.  I'm not threatened by your ideas personally, but millions of poor around the world have suffered and died as a result.  By the same token, racism and neo-Nazism pose no threat to me, but I am appalled by those who preach them.  I am strongly opposed to seeing Fascism, racism or Communism gain ground anywhere, not because it poses a direct threat to me or my standard of living, but because they have destroyed so many lives in the poorer parts of the world, and have the potential to destroy many more if permitted to spread unchecked.  It is my compassion for the poor that makes me committed to seeing them assume among the powers of the earth the rights of man which are their birthright, so that they may thrive in a free, capitalist society; slaves of no state and no man.

@toshir0 said:

But at least don't think I'm putting myself in a better role. I'm just like you all, raised and fed in the western rich countries. But I just want to live in a moral way, and stop being a distant oppressor of the south countries peoples.

And I'm saying that you need to seriously reassess your presumptions and conclusions.  You are making horribly flawed (and stupid) statements, supported only by logical fallacy and a lack of intellectual rigor on your part.  Your entire conclusion that capitalism is immoral is predicated on the false assumption that one cannot create wealth, but only steal it.  This moronic lie has its roots in Communist propaganda, and a truthful, open-eyed evaluation of the facts refutes it completely.

@toshir0 said:

I've always disliked communist theories (although morbius just want me to be that man... why ? can't really say...), so stop arguing about communism : I don't care.

The fundamental basis of your ideals is Communism, despite how you muddled and confused you've become.  You're trying to distance yourself from Communism because it has such a dark history, but you are making a mistake: corruption of collectivism didn't lead to Communist brutality, collectivism always leads to brutality.  Outside of the micro-view (family, a small village, a bunch of hippies on a farm), collectivism always falls apart due to inefficiency.  The only way to hold large-scale collectivism together is with force and violence against those who would leave.

@toshir0 said:

ressources aren't in infinite quantity. It's a finite planet, you know ?

Human ingenuity is far less finite.  Capitalism (and to a very small degree, Communism) has led to many advances in technology which allow us to use resources in fantastic new ones to fulfill age-old desires.

@toshir0 said:

Hoping for an infinite growth is just illogic.

Who the hell is hoping for infinite growth?  Where do you get this nonsense?  Of course, we hope for rapid growth in developing countries and steady growth in developed countries, but that's not nearly the same as "infinite".

@toshir0 said:

Ever heard of peak oil ?

Of course.  It's why we continue to develop alternative energy technologies.  In the meantime, there's still half a century of oil left, at minimum.  And that's not even considering that we will probably be able to synthesize it cheaply within 30 years.

@toshir0 said:

Your well-learned theories about the Market doing so well for all people's good is a nonsense for that reason. Long-term issues never won't be important as long as there's short-term benefits for shareholders. When oil's prices will be ten or a hundred times the price it is today, what will happen ?

That must be why so many US companies are making millions of dollars developing competitive technologies.  Of course, it's not as if we're just suddenly going to be going along about our business in 70 years and suddenly the last drop of oil gets used up and we all die instantly.  You pathetic little Communists have no imagination, no belief in humanity, no concept of history or advancement or development.  You are trapped in a belief system that preaches every good thing we enjoy must come at somebody else's expense; that the only ethical solution is to revert to the most primitive form of agrarianism to pay penance for our "sins"; living in poverty and struggling day-to-day only to die in misery, like good, humble little animals.  You're just preaching a semi-modern form of pagan superstition.  It's pathetic and stupid.  I'd rather believe a magical sadist who lives in the sky with my dead pets and relatives created me to see how sentient animals react to torment; at least there's the hope that if I kiss his ass enough he'll let me into Muslim Heaven where they keep all the virgins.  Thankfully, I am under no obligation to believe either.

Meanwhile, the sun's gonna blow up in 5 billion years, or we'll all die of a supervirus or asteroid hitting Earth.  So I'm not sure your solution is particularly sustainable, either, and it's a lot more miserable, plus yours has no hope of ever getting humans off the planet before the supernova comes.  Yours is a dead-end, which is why natural selection doesn't favor whiny, ambitionless, anti-competitive losers.

• ♿ (Parody)

@morbiuswilters said:

...the sun's gonna blow up in 5 billion years...
    We're all dead in the long run, but if we're lucky, SCDR will no longer be requiring magnetic CDs by then.

• @boomzilla said:

@morbiuswilters said:

...the sun's gonna blow up in 5 billion years...
    We're all dead in the long run, but if we're lucky, SCDR will no longer be requiring magnetic CDs by then.

The whoosh from the pneumatic tube was followed a second later by a thud as the container landed.  Captain Broadstache sighed deeply as he opened the tube and extracted the fresh mimeograph inside.

"From The Desk of The Commissioner: Captain Broadstache is ordered to report to the Commissioner's office on April 7th, 2010 at 3:00pm for an emergency meeting," it read.  The Captain crumpled it into a ball and mouthed the words "cocksucking nephew fucker" before going back to work; this wasn't going to be good.

------------------------

Broadstache arrived at the SCDR Executive Pyramid 5 minutes late for his meeting with the Commissioner.  Commissioner Longbrow was one of the Old Boys; he started his career in 1909 at the age of 12 collecting South Carolina's newly-enacted Hooker Tax.  Now he was in control of it all.

"Broadstache, you know why I've called you here?" asked the Commissioner.

"Probably, but I'm gonna let you tell me," replied Broadstache.

"You killed 17 orphans in that shootout with Tax Bandits last week!  You're a loose cannon!  These Jew reporters and Greaseball Wop bloggers are crawling up my ass wanting answers!  And the Agency's own Jew lawyers are saying we'll probably be sued!"

"When I see a man deducting office supplies as a business expense, and then turn around and see him give some of those same office supplies to his kids to draw with, well, it just makes me sick.  And I've got an oath to uphold; an oath that's bigger than you, that's bigger than 17 deaf orphans and that's bigger than my wang, even, which is quite big," replies Broadstache with anger.

"Yes, yes, we've all seen your impressive wang.  But tell me, do you want the cost of 17 tiny coffins coming out of your paycheck?" inquired that guy.  "Might I remind you that only the first 63% is tax-deductible."
    Broadstache bit his tongue.  That other guy continued, "We've got a new case for you.  Some punk-ass kid who thinks he's too good to pay taxes.  Goes by the name 'toshir0', to some of his friends.  Well, not friends.. people who flame him on message boards."

"Go on," prompted Broadstache.

"He thinks Capitalism is the oppression of the poor for the benefit of the few.  He favors some kind peaceful, democratic collective where people work together.  Says paying taxes to further the military-industrial rape of the world is wrong.  He's getting quite a band of followers.  He could make things quite difficult for us.  You know the kind?," Longbrow said with the emphasis in places that would indicate he's ordering an assassination.

Broadstache grunts his approval.  Yeah, he knew the kind.  He saw a lot of Commie punks who didn't like paying their taxes in a prompt and courteous manner back in 'Nam.  Killed a lot of 'em, too.  Blew their heads off at point-blank with all kinds of super-cool guns and shit.  A lot of 'em were kids.  Kids and widows.. Nuns.. homosexual poets.. blind jazzmen.. fellow Americans who skirted the tax system by buying bootleg cigarettes or LSD.  Yeah, he killed all kinds of stupid Commie hippies.  Once, he even had Ho Chi Minh in his sights, but the brass wouldn't give the order.

Of course, the "sights" Broadstache had him in were the range computers for a few thousand long-range nuclear artillery pieces, so it wasn't your standard RoE, but even so Nixon was a pussy Commie-lover for refusing to okay a strike.  And for having the MPs pump nitrous oxide into the ventilation system of the control bunker where he was holed-up.  Fucking pinko MPs.

Then there was the time he was sent after a high-level South Korean general who had defected to the North, without setting up proper withholding.  They sent him in to get the little fuck, disavowing any knowledge of his existence.  That was a hot, hellish 19 years crawling around the Da Nang, living like an animal.  Never found the son of a bitch, but everywhere he went Broadstache left his calling card: he'd gun down an entire village of children, then cut their backs open and rip their lungs right out their back.  He called it a "fallen angel", 'cuz the lungs sort of looked like wings when you were stoned off your ass on opium.  Also, it was sorta metaphorical, for the lost, uh, innocence-and-stuff of a nation that had abandoned tax-revenue-generating capitalism.

At this point, Broadstache realizes he's been staring straight ahead for several minutes and an awkward silence has filled the room.  "I'll find this 'toshir0', and I'll put one in him.  Just like I used to put my massive dong into the slope bitches when I raped them, often thinking of the massive profits my psychotic killing spree was generating for American corporations and their overpaid CEOs."

Longbrow gets a nostalgic look about his wrinkled-ass old features.  "That was a good war.  The best war, really.  Making money for Wall Street, punching kids in the face, cutting down everything that moved with machine gun fire, dropping acid before calling in a napalm strike on an orphanage.  Good times...," Longbrow signs.  "Well, I suppose you will be on his way."

But the man known to the locals of 'Nam as "Friendly Jim" because he was the nicest American they had ever met was already gone, his cat-like ability to sneak around undetected honed in the great Rape and Torture Halls of Saigon.

• :belt_onion:

@dhromed said:

My dinner companion had a "mixed grill" consisting of what looked like two types of meat, but it apparently tasted very nice. I had lamb; prepared in a most agreeable fashion. It was absolutely delicious and I left the establishment in higher spirits than with which I had entered.
    That reminds me of the team lunch we had a few weeks ago at a Maroccan restaurant. I ordered the grilled lamb and a colleague of mine ordered the mixed grill. Both were priced the same but he got exactly what I had PLUS two different kinds of meat.

I mean... WTF?

• @bjolling said:

I ordered the grilled lamb and a colleague of mine ordered the mixed grill. Both were priced the same but he got exactly what I had PLUS two different kinds of meat.

What a coincidence!

I do think he got more than me.

• @morbiuswilters said:

Bedtime Story

+2 funny

+5 amusing