Nobody shares knowledge better than this

• @SpectateSwamp said:

We
    Please elaborate.

•  @SpectateSwamp said:

Yesterday started out a little funny.

We got there at 7:45 thinking that the T-off was at 9:00 (nope it was at 1:30)

The golf pro said we should take a cart and check which hole was best sun wise.

Err Swampie Didn't you decide we should all stay on topic? a bit earlier? If this is your idea of on-topic then I hate to see what you think is off topic...

•  @LooseJuice said:

It is deplorable to me that someone like you has suffrage.  Will you join me in this cause to end your suffrage, SpectateSwamp?

He seems to be working on that. I'm sure we[1] can all[2] agree that the world would be a better place if people like Mr Swamp had their suffrage removed...

[1] For an arbitrary value of "we", tending to include those with at least a moderately sized vocabulary

[2] Subject to the usual exclusions. And some unusual ones, probably.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

Now we have a real good demo for the upcomming Ladies tournament on tuesday.
    Yes.  This will go over really well when you ask the tournament players to back up 10 feet to improve your lighting.

• SSDS just got better with the GolF option

@bstorer said:

This will go over really well when you ask the tournament players to back up 10 feet to improve your lighting.

It was cloudy and raining so I didn't have to ask them. For the most part they were far more interested in viewing their swing than the extra 10 feet. Most of these golfers weren't really competitive either.

Just like any project, Doing produces results. Be it doing Desktop Search or golf video. Talking is cheap and produces nothing. I am putting in a new option; the GolF option. A few minor modifications to the GF option. It will make it extremely easy to share golf swings with the golfers. On the first 2 demos we had to try and video in just the swing. Sometimes we would start the video too early or miss them altogether. Now we will only worry about shutting off the camcorders as soon as we heard the Ping of the ball. I'll add a new element similar to the "Start==" This will be the "before_end=3" SSDS will calculate the start point as 3 seconds before the end of the video. The GolF option will produce an additional set of 2 lines that will have "speed=125" and "before_end=3" added to the first of those 2 lines. (are you still with me?)  So within 15 minutes of getting off the course they will see the videos. Ie 13 second clip plays at full speed and the last 3 seconds will play at 1/8 speed. Then on to the next etc etc. Previously we would copy the results of the GF option and mass edit in the "speed=125" and add that to the existing GF results. Then run that group randomly. A 15 second golf swing video would take over 2 minutes and would lose the audience. I would take the video home and spend hours and hours looking at it so as to play just the KEY 3 seconds in slow motion. This GolF option eliminates that 5 or 6 hours of editing and makes it far less intense when shooting the video. Just start recording when they address the ball and stop it as soon as the Ping is heard. The cameraman behind the golfer will record for an extra second just to see the flight of the ball and mass edit the "before_end=3" to "before_end=4" Nobody but nobody can touch SSDS for doing golf video.

Geez this program is great. So easy to change and improve.

• @bstorer said:

This will go over really well when you ask the tournament players to back up 10 feet to improve your lighting.

It was cloudy and raining so I didn't have to ask them. For the most part they were far more interested in viewing their swing than the extra 10 feet. Most of these golfers weren't really competitive either.

Just like any project, Doing produces results. Be it doing Desktop Search or golf video. Talking is cheap and produces nothing. I am putting in a new option; the GolF option. A few minor modifications to the GF option. It will make it extremely easy to share golf swings with the golfers. On the first 2 demos we had to try and video in just the swing. Sometimes we would start the video too early or miss them altogether. Now we will only worry about shutting off the camcorders as soon as we heard the Ping of the ball. I'll add a new element similar to the "Start==" This will be the "before_end=3" SSDS will calculate the start point as 3 seconds before the end of the video. The GolF option will produce an additional set of 2 lines that will have "speed=125" and "before_end=3" added to the first of those 2 lines. (are you still with me?)  So within 15 minutes of getting off the course they will see the videos. Ie 13 second clip plays at full speed and the last 3 seconds will play at 1/8 speed. Then on to the next etc etc. Previously we would copy the results of the GF option and mass edit in the "speed=125" and add that to the existing GF results. Then run that group randomly. A 15 second golf swing video would take over 2 minutes and would lose the audience. I would take the video home and spend hours and hours looking at it so as to play just the KEY 3 seconds in slow motion. This GolF option eliminates that 5 or 6 hours of editing and makes it far less intense when shooting the video. Just start recording when they address the ball and stop it as soon as the Ping is heard. The cameraman behind the golfer will record for an extra second just to see the flight of the ball and mass edit the "before_end=3" to "before_end=4" Nobody but nobody can touch SSDS for doing golf video.

•  Have you ever downloaded the codez? I can tell you he must have written it himself. And beware, there mightbe aliens even in his code. Think of variables like e, ee, eee, and so forth.

• @ClaudeSuck.de said:

Have you ever downloaded the codez?

Have you read the thread?

• @SpectateSwamp said:

I am putting in a new option; the GolF option. A few minor modifications to the GF option.
    This is pure fucking genius.

@SpectateSwamp said:

On the first 2 demos we had to try and video in just the swing. Sometimes we would start the video too early or miss them altogether. Now we will only worry about shutting off the camcorders as soon as we heard the Ping of the ball.
    Why not just video the entire thing and then edit it down to the relevant sections? I'm just saying it might work, give it a shot.

@SpectateSwamp said:

This GolF option eliminates that 5 or 6 hours of editing
    How the fuck does editing a few minutes of video into a series of short clips take 5 or 6 hours? It should take no more than a few minutes to edit the clips down if you have any degree of competence.

@SpectateSwamp said:

Nobody but nobody can touch SSDS for doing golf video.
    Anyone with a camcorder and video editing software can do this (hell something like virtualdub is free as well)

@SpectateSwamp said:

Apart from the fact nobody understands the code and nobody has access to VB5 either. So easy that you have been talking about porting it to linux etc and converting it to C for over a year with absolutely no progress. That does not sound easy to change to me.

• Golf video shoot-out challenge - can't touch this search

@spenk said:

@SpectateSwamp said:
    This GolF option eliminates that 5 or 6 hours of editing
    How the fuck does editing a few minutes of video into a series of short clips take 5 or 6 hours? It should take no more than a few minutes to edit the clips down if you have any degree of competence.

Good question SpenkSwamp Editing takes more than a few minutes for the 180+ video clips per tournament. Ie 90 to 100 golfers videoed twice using 2 camcorders.

First off we wanted to display the video (both full speed and slow motion) right away while they are having their banquet.  Secondly we wanted to show the interested golfers their clips from both camcorders. Those participants would initially have to make a note of the Video # that they or their friends were in and we would enter those numbers at prompt #3.

The only editing that we will need to do now is to cut and paste the Flight # and Names from the list of golfers (provided the day before). During the tournament we check off the order that each flight tees off so we can match up the name with the videos. This requires opening up the previously entered list of names and flights and pasting them into the text file created by the GolF option. As well inserting the call to the background option to display the names in large font with the slowed print. That step might take an hour. So by the time the banquet is over and prizes awarded the completed USB sticks will be available for all. 

Once I have the changes in place I'll do a screen reshoot and post that to my dropshots account. I challenge you ALL to golf video shoot-out.

Check out those golf videos at:

http://www.telusplanet.net/public/stonedan/osoyoos_golf.htm

I'll be switching those videos out daily with the next set.

• @dhromed said:

@ClaudeSuck.de said:

Have you answered a question with a question?

• Golf video suppliers are being called out.

Yup I hope the big big gunners of golf video show up for this championship. SSDS whips them all. SpenkSwamp can do this and that with his software. We'll see. The asistant pro said they had software that could show Tiger's swing up besides the player and that they could upload it to the net. I was interested and wanted to check some of their stuff out. He then said that he hadn't used it this year. SSDS obviously whips the software that they have at most of the Pro-Shops. Are you listening Golf software vendors. SSDS is calling you all out. Big big championship with T-Shirts and Magic stone replicas as prizes. We're ready on all counts. When you are good you just know it. Prizes for the best SSDS golf implementations as well. I'll help you all out. How's that for sharing. You'll end up loving your camcorders.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

Yup I hope the big big gunners of golf video show up for this championship.
    Yes, you'd better watch out, you entirely hypothetical and bizarrely specific subindustry!  Your imaginary asses are going to get handed to you if you dare to show your theoretical faces at this completely unknown championship played at an irrelevant course in the middle of nowhere!

• @bstorer said:

@dhromed said:

@ClaudeSuck.de said:

Have you answered a question with a question?

Would I do such a thing?

• http://www.thestupidestmanonearth.com/ requires updating with these new developments.

• Hello from DetstypeDip!

Hello Everyone!

My name is DetstypeDip and I'm from Skive, Denmark. I do sales (internet) for a living however I like auto racing and motor cross. I have two beaufiful childeren Sasha and Melia. I'm looking forward to being a member of this board.

Love,

DetstypeDip

• 🚽 Regular

gasp But just WHAT do you sell on the internet?! Whether it's anti-wrinkle cream, teeth whiteners, penis enhancers, or fake medical degrees, it's still better than what SpectateSwamp here is spamming. Maybe TOO much better.

• Another easy whip for SSDS

@bstorer said:

@SpectateSwamp said:

Yes, you'd better watch out, you entirely hypothetical and bizarrely specific subindustry!  Your imaginary asses are going to get handed to you if you dare to show your theoretical faces at this completely unknown championship played at an irrelevant course in the middle of nowhere!

Exactly. Because nobody else can do what SSDS can do. Within 15 minutes of getting off the Golf Course old Swampy will be showing each short video at full speed. Immediately followed by the last 3 or 4 seconds (the swing) in Super Slow motion. If the competition can't match that they lose badly. What else can this superior program do? Lots.

If my Swampies keep learning more and more how to use this SUPER program the Search Engine World will forever be changed..

Video Hint: If you don't want some video nut videoing you or others from stealing your best video. Play some copyrighted music. Those skinny ass musicians and their lawyers will be all over them. HA HA HAAAA

• You should call your nurse because it's time for your medication.

• I'm sure this question has been asked innumerable times on this forum, but WTF is the deal with SpectateSwamp? For a while I tried to convince myself that he's just the most committed troll the internet has ever seen, but now I'm leaning heavily towards serious mental imbalance instead. Having read the source for SSDS (or staring into the face of Cthulu as someone said earlier; that one made me spray coffee out of my nose), I can't believe that anyone would take trolling this far.

• @Smitty said:

I'm sure this question has been asked innumerable times on this forum, but WTF is the deal with SpectateSwamp?

We don't know.

But he's kind of like a mascotte. A symbol of the crazy shit that functions as content here on this site.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@Smitty said:

I'm sure this question has been asked innumerable times on this forum, but WTF
    is the deal with SpectateSwamp?
    Contrary to what you might think, it's not been asked that many times, mainly because the usual denizens are used to it. Or ignore it, as I usually do.

@Smitty said:
    For a while I tried to convince myself that he's just the most committed troll
    the internet has ever seen, but now I'm leaning heavily towards serious mental
    imbalance instead.
    He's not a 'troll' in the usual sense of the word. Think 'time cube' but less verbose. Across the internet that is.

*gape*

Swampy make me think I'm going to be involved in a cloning and time travel incident sometime in the future. With head trauma. Lots of it.

• @PJH said:

He's not a 'troll' in the usual sense of the word. Think 'time cube' but less verbose. Across the internet that is.
    I'd never seen time cube before. That's an epic rant.

•  Oh, Time Cube was amazing. It made me have a whole new appreciation for what employees in mental institutions have to put up with.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

@bstorer said:

@SpectateSwamp said:

Exactly. Because nobody else can do what SSDS can do. Within 15 minutes of getting off the Golf Course old Swampy will be showing each short video at full speed. Immediately followed by the last 3 or 4 seconds (the swing) in Super Slow motion. If the competition can't match that they lose badly. What else can this superior program do? Lots.

If my Swampies keep learning more and more how to use this SUPER program the Search Engine World will forever be changed..

Video Hint: If you don't want some video nut videoing you or others from stealing your best video. Play some copyrighted music. Those skinny ass musicians and their lawyers will be all over them. HA HA HAAAA

Hmmm, when can we expect a version that encrypts videos, so they can not be stolen?

• @ClaudeSuck.de said:

Hmmm, when can we expect a version that encrypts videos, so they can not be
    stolen?

Surely not. The whole point of SSDS is to promote easy sharing, no? Adding encryption would defeat the purpose.

•  Hi Spectate,

Suck me good old boy.

Love,

LooseJuice

• Osoyoos council restricts video sharing

@Scarlet Manuka said:

@ClaudeSuck.de said:
    Hmmm, when can we expect a version that encrypts videos, so they can not be stolen?
    Surely not. The whole point of SSDS is to promote easy sharing, no? Adding encryption would defeat the purpose.

Yup ScarletManukaSwamp Sampling and Sharing is what this desktop search is all about. Just recently my town council videoing has been curtailed. The town of Osoyoos introduced a by-law to restrict council video to Granicus and the local cable channel. This resolution #1271 seems directly aimed at Me. Their talk about transparency in governance is just B.S. I'm sure any controversial segments will be removed from the archive by town staff. I may have to get some local Swampies to take their Cel phones and video the meetings. I don't think council has enough guts to throw us all out.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

This resolution #1271 seems directly aimed at Me.
    I think so, too.  Maybe you should take the hint and stop trolling pestering their meetings.

•  Can anyone who's not Swamp tell me what's so special about "Desktop Search and Video?" Is it, like, an alternative to having folders? Is it the solution to not being able to see all the icons on your desktop because you're too lazy to clean and organize it?

I am so very, very confuzzled.

• @JohnWestMinor said:

Can anyone who's not Swamp tell me what's so special about "Desktop Search and Video?" Is it, like, an alternative to having folders? Is it the solution to not being able to see all the icons on your desktop because you're too lazy to clean and organize it?
    Well, whenever you get that crazy craving to create and search through a single file for path names and search keywords, there you go.  And it can play video slowly, too. In case you want to check for aliens or golf swings.  So that's good, too.  And there are other things.  That are special.

•  Then why is it called "Desktop?"

What does "Desktop" have to do with anything?

• @JohnWestMinor said:

Then why is it called "Desktop?"
    What does "Desktop" have to do with anything?
    Because it's not on a PDP-11.

•  It's called desktop, just because the computer is on a desktop...

X_X

EDIT:

Ok, I feel stupid for attributing the term "Desktop Search" to Swamp, I just read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desktop_search

Still, the name "Desktop Search" is pretty... Special, I guess.

• @JohnWestMinor said:

Then why is it called "Desktop?"

Because he's an idiot.

• *Injects thread with awesome, because there's nothing else to do with it now*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeYGiS_hZhU

•  Spectate, you are my hero. I just want to spread mayo all over your body and dance with you. Will you join me?

• @JohnWestMinor said:

Can anyone who's not Swamp tell me what's so special about "Desktop Search and Video?" Is it, like, an alternative to having folders? Is it the solution to not being able to see all the icons on your desktop because you're too lazy to clean and organize it?

It is to an extent an alternative to having folders. At least, Swamp himself puts everything into the same place and uses SSDS to find a particular item he wants. More, it's a replacement for the OS indexing and searching functionality. This is achieved by the user manually indexing every document they want to track, and adding tags within the index structure, which is maintained as a text file.

This is integrated with media player functionality. In addition to allowing you to do slow-motion shots of JPEG artifacts in order to look for aliens, this is also flexible enough to allow you to play a random song, from a random starting point, for a random amount of time. Swamp is quite taken with this feature but most of the rest of us struggle to understand why one might ever want to do this. Which also applies to most of the other things SSDS does.

Personally, I believe SSDS's greatest value is as a debugging / spaghetti tracing exercise. Spend a few days digging through the code to try to answer questions like "Why does it always fail the first time you run it?" and you will emerge with a deep-rooted hatred of horrible code and a determination to do things the right way. That has to be a good thing.

• @Scarlet Manuka said:

Spend a few days digging through the code to try to answer questions like "Why does it always fail the first time you run it?" and you will emerge with a deep-rooted hatred of horrible code and a determination to do things the right way. That has to be a good thing.

SDSS leads by misexample.

•  Hey, i have been out of this thread for a while, but i thought i might add a +1 for Google Desktop search.

• @JohnWestMinor said:

Folders are very, very slow compared to a single, massive non structured text file that needs to be maintained by hand. The other thing you need to understand is that any document format that contains formatting is far too big to store on your hard drive . The best way to store these is to either take a series of jpeg screen shots (because these get round the limitations be also being large (larger?)) or videoing the document scrolling up the screen on a camcorder (this solves the problem by being even larger and out of focus, with added shitty commentary).

Icons are probably also bad, having a file and an icon for the file means having two files. Two is more bad than one therefore we do not do it. Even the source is a single file, because if you did a proper project you would have a vbp, a frm and a .bas file and three is so much more badderer than one we really don't want to consider that in the slightest. Notice mpeg and jpeg are exempt from the plural = evil rule for reasons far too obvious to need explaining.

Hope that helped to clear things up.

• Swing option for Golf is cool too cool

Wow this was easy to implement. When code is this simple you can just change and jam it.

At prompt #2 I select the "golf" option and it produces 2 sets of paired lines per video as below.

The first set plays at full speed and the second starts 3 seconds from the end and plays at about 1/10 speed.

It makes it easy for us Swampies to become the Golf Swing experts.

photo c:\search\sony\ladies_golf\20100615090047.mpg   mod=6/15/2010 2:11:39 PM 5734400
    xxx.c:\search\sony\ladies_golf\20100615090047.mpg
    photo start==-3000 speed=125 c:\search\sony\ladies_golf\20100615090047.mpg 
    xxx.c:\search\sony\ladies_golf\20100615090047.mpg

photo c:\search\sony\ladies_golf\20100615090127.mpg   mod=6/15/2010 2:11:39 PM 3637248
    xxx.c:\search\sony\ladies_golf\20100615090127.mpg
    photo start==-3000 speed=125 c:\search\sony\ladies_golf\20100615090127.mpg 
    xxx.c:\search\sony\ladies_golf\20100615090127.mpg

photo c:\search\sony\ladies_golf\20100615090204.mpg   mod=6/15/2010 2:11:40 PM 6848512
    xxx.c:\search\sony\ladies_golf\20100615090204.mpg
    photo start==-3000 speed=125 c:\search\sony\ladies_golf\20100615090204.mpg 
    xxx.c:\search\sony\ladies_golf\20100615090204.mpg

photo c:\search\sony\ladies_golf\20100615090239.mpg   mod=6/15/2010 2:11:40 PM 4325376
    xxx.c:\search\sony\ladies_golf\20100615090239.mpg
    photo start==-3000 speed=125 c:\search\sony\ladies_golf\20100615090239.mpg 
    xxx.c:\search\sony\ladies_golf\20100615090239.mpg

photo c:\search\sony\ladies_golf\20100615090758.mpg   mod=6/15/2010 2:11:41 PM 7176192
    xxx.c:\search\sony\ladies_golf\20100615090758.mpg
    photo start==-3000 speed=125 c:\search\sony\ladies_golf\20100615090758.mpg 
    xxx.c:\search\sony\ladies_golf\20100615090758.mpg

The most powerful program on the planet just got more powerful.

•  Spectate, I gotta ask, are you for real, or just the best damn troll who ever lived?

• Swing option demo

@JohnWestMinor said:

Spectate, I gotta ask, are you for real, or just the best damn troll who ever lived?

Not really a troll. Just trying to get some of the techies here to wise up and use the only piece of software they will ever need. And at the same time get some invaluable "constructive criticism"

I have uploaded the latest exe (with the NEW "golf" option) at http://www.telusplanet.net/public/stonedan/search.exe

If you are currently using it I suggest that you put it in a new folder so that it creates a new set of control files. Then copy all of those files except the "files.txt" and the "search.txt" files to the old folder you were using. There are a couple new items in the control file that are needed for the new version.

So give the "golf" option a spin. Enter any default at prompt #1 and "golf" at prompt #2 and provide the directory where you have your mpg files or default to "c:\" to find and catalogue them all. Of course at the file type prompt enter "mpg" and that is it. You'll see that it creates matching lines like those listed in the previous post.

Then go to a golf course and start doing the video clips. Start recording when they address the ball and stop when their swing is complete. Load those onto your computer and do the "golf" option and you will become a golf SwingSwampie. Just like me. They loved the video and so will your group.

Here is a screen reshoot of a demo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdUuBsSmSNE

I could have lined the screen up a little better I guess. But I'm not one of the Perfect Perfects

P.S. I am actually looking for Faster Than Sight objects in those final 3 seconds. 2 birds with one Stone.

•  How could this possibly be the only software I'll ever need? Is it as powerful at photo manipulation as Photoshop? Is it also an IDE with perfectly implemented intellisense and debugging tools? Is it an internet browser? Is it an all in one decompiler? Is it a competent spreadsheet program? Is it the best damn ever word processor with a perfect understanding of how humans use language, as opposed to simply having a collection of grammar rules that don't fit every situation?

Or are you saying this is the only program any one would ever need the same way some people say notepad is the only "IDE" any would ever need?

• @SpectateSwamp said:

Not really a troll. Just trying to get some of the techies here to wise up and use the only piece of software they will ever need. And at the same time get some invaluable "constructive criticism"
    You need to learn to differentiate between your needs and "the rest of the world's needs", this has been said before - SSRR is a tool that suits you and your approach to things, stop trying to force it on the rest of us. Also when people criticise or ask for explanations or point out alternatives it is actually polite to respond with a coherent reply that is at least passingly on topic.

@SpectateSwamp said:

with the NEW "golf" option
    This is a prime example of my above point, you had a need for showing golf videos so there is now a golf option. There is no overall thought for this though as it now means people who might want to watch a goal at a football match get a "golf" option, which like everything else, only makes sense if they know you and how your mind works.

• Too many applications - Not with SSDS

@JohnWestMinor said:

How could this possibly be the only software I'll ever need? Is it as powerful at photo manipulation as Photoshop? Is it also an IDE with perfectly implemented intellisense and debugging tools? Is it an internet browser? Is it an all in one decompiler? Is it a competent spreadsheet program? Is it the best damn ever word processor with a perfect understanding of how humans use language, as opposed to simply having a collection of grammar rules that don't fit every situation?

Or are you saying this is the only program any one would ever need the same way some people say notepad is the only "IDE" any would ever need?

Never had the need to fake any photos or video. So the great majority of people just don't need Photoshop

IDE who needs that. A good flowchart will show you the way. Most applications are accounting. How on Earth do you let it get so complicated that another piece of software is needed along with it's learning curve.

Browser. Every computer comes with an operating system and browsers so who needs them. They are just there.

Compilers yes. Decompilers never needed one of those ever.

Spreadsheet - wrote one in 1974 and never had the use for one since.

Word processors are from an era of mass mailings and fancy letterhead. Few people give a damn about this font fiddling and get pissed when people send them .doc files.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

Never had the need to fake any photos or video. So the great majority of people just don't need Photoshop
    Just because you don't doesn't mean other people don't want or need them. Editing is not the same as faking btw. Also the word majority implies some people do need photoshop.

@SpectateSwamp said:

IDE who needs that. A good flowchart will show you the way. Most applications are accounting.
    A good IDE makes you more productive, a flow chart alone doesn't. Oh hand on you use VB - that is an IDE and not part of SSRR, this means you need more than on program.

@SpectateSwamp said:

Browser. Every computer comes with an operating system and browsers so who needs them. They are just there.
    They are still programs. By the same definition media players come with modern operating systems, as do text editors, photo viewers and screen savers. Why replace them with SSRR then?

@SpectateSwamp said:

Spreadsheet - wrote one in 1974 and never had the use for one since.
    Just because you have no need for one doesn't mean other people don't want or need them.

@SpectateSwamp said:

Word processors are from an era of mass mailings and fancy letterhead. Few people give a damn about this font fiddling and get pissed when people send them .doc files.
    There is a lot more to word processors than mass mailings and letterheads. The fact you have no need doesn't mean other people don't want or need them.

Please stop confusing what you want and what other people want. Your way of doing things suits you, it is weird and peculiar and at odds with the rest of the world but it suits you. Other people have different needs and requirements and SSRR and it's way of maintaining index files by hand doesn't suit the majority of other people.

*gape*

You treat programming and accounting like they're trivial?

Well, then, I've heard enough. You're the most excellent troll who has ever lived, even if it's unintentional. You will soon reach GOD STATUS after you blow another 100 minds. Then you will be able to make us all think how you do and the end times will begin.

ALL HAIL SWAMP, THE DEMIGOD OF THE NEW ERA.