Nobody shares knowledge better than this

• @JohnWestMinor said:

*gape*

You treat programming and accounting like they're trivial?

You are dealing with a person whose idea of sharing source code is publishing a text file which contains the contents of a VB5 .frm and then doing a video which explains how to create a new project in VB5, copy and paste the source into a form's code module, resize the form to the correct size and whatever other steps are involved. He genuinely can't seem to work with more than a single file at a time unless they are .jpeg or .mpg. Creating a project and zipping it up is beyond him, when people actually wanted to help he failed to upload the code to source forge or even delegate this to another person (or spell the name correctly).

• No Smarts needed with SSDS

@spenk said:

@JohnWestMinor said:

*gape*

You treat programming and accounting like they're trivial?

You are dealing with a person whose idea of sharing source code is publishing a text file which contains the contents of a VB5 .frm and then doing a video which explains how to create a new project in VB5, copy and paste the source into a form's code module, resize the form to the correct size and whatever other steps are involved. He genuinely can't seem to work with more than a single file at a time unless they are .jpeg or .mpg. Creating a project and zipping it up is beyond him, when people actually wanted to help he failed to upload the code to source forge or even delegate this to another person (or spell the name correctly).

Can't -- Beyond--. NO more like refuses to do anything that is needlessly complex. Keep It Simple Stupid remains the most important mantra of computing. I hum that one all the time.

As for accounting being trivial. It should be trivial. Debits and Credits and everything balances out. Years back I helped a recent immigrant update his resume. He worked mostly with accounting apps and had no idea what the accounting terminology was for those tasks. None nada niet

Sharing knowledge and video and pictures isn't about fancy stupid words (like going forward and pro active) it's about fighting the urge to over complicate things to make yourself look smart.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

Can't -- Beyond--. NO more like refuses to do anything that is needlessly complex. Keep It Simple Stupid remains the most important mantra of computing. I hum that one all the time.
    Breaking problems, documents, programs, etc, down into bite-sized chunks makes them easier to grasp and manipulate.  Keeping everything in one giant concept or file or subroutine makes them more complicated to work with. Using more than one file at a time is not a complex task.  For example, having separate files of code for the GUI controls, the search algorithms, the video manipulation, etc -- one file per concept/task/feature -- makes program design so much easier to deal with.  Easier to change and add, easier to think about, easier to scroll around, easier to share.

Breaking things down is the heart of reduction of complexity.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

refuses to do anything that is needlessly complex. Keep It Simple Stupid remains the most important mantra of computing. I hum that one all the time.
    So please explain how your method of sharing the code (single text file which requires the person rebuilding it to watch a video, create a new project, copy and paste code, rename a form, resize a form and add and position various controls on a form) is simpler than a user getting a zip file they open and can double click the .vbp file and it is ready to be worked on. Your way is needlessly long winded and complex, do you do that every time you do a new build or do you keep a project somewhere?

One large source file with effectively one large master routine is not simple, it is difficult to understand unless you have been working intimately with the code for many years, changing from one algorithm to a better one is going to be error fraught, testing is not something you can automate and any form of reuse is likely to be more trouble than it is worth. Concepts like subroutines, classes etc. do not add complexity when done properly - they give you a way to reduce overall complexity while increasing readability and maintainability.

@SpectateSwamp said:

accounting being trivial. It should be trivial. Debits and Credits and everything balances out.
    Accounting isn't trivial though, legal issues, tax issues, import / export duty, currency exchange, stocks, shares, bonds, employment law, pensions etc.all make this a complicated subject that takes an accountant many years to learn and understand. The fact your friend can successfully use accountancy software without understanding the details is a testament to the quality of the software more than anything. The software is simplifying a difficult process for the end user.

• 🚽 Regular

@SpectateSwamp said:

NO more like refuses to do anything that is needlessly complex. Keep It Simple Stupid remains the most important mantra of computing. I hum that one all the time.

So, let me ask you: When you added that "golf" option feature to your own software, how many lines of code did you need to modify, add or delete? How much time did you spend asking yourself, "Now, which variable am I supposed to be switching, aab_03 or aac_03? Hmm..." how easy was it for you to find every single line you needed to alter?

You keep talking about adding noodles and jamming them, that sounds an awful lot like guess and check, which is the most ugly, tedious, and agonizing thing a programmer has to deal with, and its cause is almost always unnecessarily complex code. When code is broken down, as Xyro said, even a programmer new to the codebase can, with reasonable ease, browse through the source files in the codebase, identify which pieces they might need to touch in order to add the feature, and proceed from there. Your codebase consists of thousands of lines of unidentifiable variable names and cryptic comments. In order for me to figure out how to add a feature, I need to step through every single line of code and see what each and every line does before I do anything else.

So: broken down code to easily identify individual functionality and features means I just look at the individual file names, see some files like "VideoController" and "SloMoVideoEffect" or some such, and know immediately I have to use these files in some way. Your code means I have to look at every single line of code just to identify what everything does, and then finally deduce where the video controller is and where the slo mo video effect code is (and it's probably not all in once place either), THEN go from there.

But, of course, you aren't going to see the problem with that, and you're going to accuse me of being some kind of smarty pants that just wants to complicate your life.

• @RHuckster said:

So, let me ask you: When you added that "golf" option feature to your own software, how many lines of code did you need to modify, add or delete? How much time did you spend asking yourself, "Now, which variable am I supposed to be switching, aab_03 or aac_03? Hmm..." how easy was it for you to find every single line you needed to alter?
    It would be nice if he posted the new version - "Sharing knowledge" and all that, then we could look for ourselves to see how easy the changes were.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

As for accounting being trivial. It should be trivial. Debits and Credits and everything balances out. Years back I helped a recent immigrant update his resume. He worked mostly with accounting apps and had no idea what the accounting terminology was for those tasks. None nada niet

Sharing knowledge and video and pictures isn't about fancy stupid words (like going forward and pro active) it's about fighting the urge to over complicate things to make yourself look smart.

To what part of OOP's complexity are you objecting? How steep the learning curve is? Bad implementations you did in the past that have soured OOP for you? The actual complexity of the compiler? The idea of having multiple files? The final S in KISS?

Just saying that OOP is "needlessly complex" without giving any facts* or relevant qualifiers to make your blanket statement more fair makes your statement completely MEANINGLESS. If you really want to Share Knowledge, then, when you're responding to us, respond in a way we can appreciate. Respond with WELL THOUGHT OUT and WELL TYPED arguments and thoughts. Consider why we think things like OOP are good ideas and incorporate that perspective into your arguments. People have been telling you their terms for seriously listening to you, as opposed to making fun of you, for, oh, over 20 pages. I'll tell you now, I just go to this thread for a good laugh at the things you say, and probably most other people do, too. You're not reaching anyone and until you start pandering to OTHER PEOPLE and not YOURSELF**, you never will.

Anything you say to this beyond "Ok, I'll do a far superior job at explaining myself from this point on and I won't just ignore the good advice I've been given because it would require a massive rewrite of my shitty program to implement***" is the wrong answer.

*And by facts, I mean things that apply to everyone, not just you.

**There's a giant difference between how you think you're pandering to other people and what you're actually doing, which is pandering to yourself.

***Feel free to copy/paste this when you reply.

EDIT: Was it REALLY Swamp who changed the subject to "No Smarts needed with SSDS?" Or are my eyes deceiving me?

• SSDS vs Genetic Lifeform and Disk Operating System

@SpectateSwamp said:

Video Hint: If you don't want some video nut videoing you or others from stealing your best video. Play some copyrighted music. Those skinny ass musicians and their lawyers will be all over them. HA HA HAAAA
    That would almost be clever except that it doesn't stop anyone from filming you and removing or replacing the audio.
    Also, what's with the Joker impression?

@SpectateSwamp said:

Keep It Simple Stupid remains the most important mantra of computing. I hum that one all the time.
    This one quote explains so much about Swampy!
    What should by done about/for people like this? His delusions and lack of understanding about the world outside himself aren't really hurting anyone and aren't hurting himself (aside from the social sense), at least not yet. Can/should anything be done to help him see that he's been wrong about every single thing he's ever done, including this thing. He's not smart. He's not a scientist. He's not a doctor. He's not even a full-time employee. Where did his life go so wrong? Things have changed since the last time he left the building. What's going on out there will make him wish he was back in here. I have an infinite capacity for knowledge and even I'm not sure what's going on outside. All I know is I'm the only thing standing between us and them. Well, I was. Unless he has a plan for building some supercomputer parts in a big hurry, this place isn't going to be safe much
    longer. Good job on that by the way.

• All talk no action

I'm surprised. That all the techies with all their smarts and powerful methodologies haven't decompiled SSDS and produced a simpler and more flexible version by now. How long must we wait? Where is dumb old Yourdon when you need him? He like the rest of you probably never wrote or shared anything worthwhile.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

I'm surprised. That all the techies with all their smarts and powerful methodologies haven't decompiled SSDS and produced a simpler and more flexible version by now. How long must we wait? Where is dumb old Yourdon when you need him? He like the rest of you probably never wrote or shared anything worthwhile.

Why would we decompile that shit when you have posted the source code anyway? (Can we have the source to the new version please?)

None of us really see the point in it so why would we recreate it for you when you couldn't even be arsed creating a decent open source project for it?

The other big issue in improving your code is none of us can actually compile the thing anyway, VB5 is bloody ancient now and it is nigh on impossible to get hold of a version assuming anyone wanted to. If it at least compiled on VB6 there is a chance people might be able to do something with it.

• Because SpenkSwamp wanted to know

Simple code makes changes easy. 

The following is the change to enable the "golf" option at prompt #2 (see 25Jun2010)
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
         Mergem = "NO"               'february 24 2002
         If ttt = "MERGE" Then
             ttt = "GF"              'february 24 2002
             diryes = "DIR"
             dirdates = "Y"
             Mergem = "YES"
         End If                      'february 24 2002
         If ttt = "GOLF" Then
                 ttt = "GF"          '25Jun2010 ************
                 Mergem = "GOLF"     '25Jun2010 ************
         End If

If ttt = "GF" Then
                 GoSub Control_28000
                 rand = 0            '19 July 2003 take random off GF option
                 Cmd(49) = "NORANDOM"
                 GoSub line_30800    'kill and update the control file
                                     '19 July 2003 (somehow having random set causes the tag record
                                     'on mp3 files not to be read properly (so this should be a temp fix)
                 GoSub Control_28000  '19 July 2003
             Close #OutFile          '18 August 2004 so there is no conflict with file opened at prompt number 1 one
             GoSub line_30700            'april 01 2001

The following code finds a negative start point and adds the video length to that negative number for the new start point
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If line_start_point < -0.5 Then line_start_point = video_length + line_start_point  '25Jun2010 ****************
         If line_start_point < 0.0001 Then line_start_point = 0     '25 October 2004 this did the fix on the short ones.
     '25Jun2010 might want to check the line below for the very short vids???
     '25Jun2010 comment this out    If line_start_point < 9.0001 Then line_start_point = 10    '11 March 2007
     '        xtemp = InputBox("25 oct test video_length=" + CStr(video_length), CStr(line_delay_sec), , xx1 - offset1, yy1 - offset2) '29 February 2004 test
     '11 March 2007    If start_point <> 0 And rand1 <> -1 Then
         If start_point <> 10 And rand1 <> -1 Then
             line_start_point = start_point                  '20 August 2005
         End If
         If line_delay_sec * 1000 + line_start_point > video_length - 100 Then

The following code creates the additional set of lines so that the last 3 seconds can be played in slow motion
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
     '07 January 2005 need to check that it is one of those allowed in Cmd(78) before merging
                 If Mergem = "YES" Then GoSub line_17200 'february 24 2002
                 ' need to open need to open and read the file here thru a call
                 'then put and append end along with the file name at the end.
                 'should just need to use one file # for the opens and closes...
             Else
                 Print #ExtFile, "xxx." + Test1_str; indates
             End If                      'february 18 2002 skip the xxx. on print only
         If Mergem = "GOLF" Then 
             Print #ExtFile, "photo start==-3000 speed=125 " + Test1_str + " " + tt1 + " " + indates   '25Jun2010*********
             Print #ExtFile, "xxx." + Test1_str; indates    '25Jun2010 ************
             Print #ExtFile,    '25Jun2010 *************
         End If              '25Jun2010 ************
     ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Usually you can't control when the action starts but you can determine when the video stops. What a great great feature this "GOLF" option is.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

Simple code makes changes easy. 
    Could you upload the new version of the source though, although admittedly the changes are not large the maintainability issue is how far apart are these areas, and how would anyone locate them / know which variables to change to make this work. Being able to compare the old and new sources will allow us to see for ourselves what was involved. You never know, you might even prove yourself correct.

•  WRONG ANSWER, SWAMP.

But regardless,your code is almost completely unreadable and beyond unmaintainable. A SANE application wouln't require the user to retype magic values each time you need to adjust them, a sane application would keep magic values to a minimum, preferably ZERO so that every variable and number has a very specific and well thought out origin. A SANE application would have properly named variables that only have one purpose and wouldn't require pointless redundancy to work. A SANE application would use methods and classes instead of gotos, which only serve to muddle the program. A SANE application would be readable and maintainable by more than the original creator.

So, let me put it this way: Just because YOU, the person who designed that trash, can work with and understand that code, does NOT make it simple or easy to work with. You're just used to it and its oddities so you don't notice how much of a pain it really is. Also, you don't know any better, so you think this is "GOOD."

Again, like I said earlier, you need to pander to the OTHER PEOPLE when you're trying to advertise and defend SSDS, not yourself. We've told you what we expect out of a program and a "salesman," it's your turn to finally start listening to what we've said.

•  If this code is so simple could you answer a few easy questions regarding it and the changes made?

• Firstly why is Mergem seemingly a string storing a boolean value, until it later stores "golf", also how would somebody know what mergem was used for from it's name alone?
    • Secondly what on earth is the variable ttt supposed to be storing and how would anyone get this from it's name? Similar questions could be raised about tt1 and Test1_str
    • Thirdly how would anyone know what things like  line_30800, line_17200, Control_28000 and line_30700 are referring to? Why not use named labels or better still why not an actual function or subroutine?
    • Fourthly how are we supposed to know the significance of the various magic numbers used e.g. 49, -0.5, 0.0001, 10, 9.0001 etc. could these not be replaced by named constants for readability?

From the point of view of a 3rd party who hasn't had your life long experience of working and living this code how would we have identified the places where the changes needed to be made and which variables are involved and acceptable ranges?

Why do you prefer goto / gosub over named and parametrised routines? This is a genuine question and not an attempt to be a perfect perfect or a techie lording it over etc.

• Pandering with SSDS

@JohnWestMinor said:

WRONG ANSWER, SWAMP.

Again, like I said earlier, you need to pander to the OTHER PEOPLE when you're trying to advertise and defend SSDS, not yourself. We've told you what we expect out of a program and a "salesman," it's your turn to finally start listening to what we've said.

You could be RIGHT.

Bad code that does stuff is better than good code that does nothing of the like.

Those code changes were just a matter of me searching the source.txt for '"GF"' there I'd set the trigger Mergem to "GOLF" so that when the catalogue lines get Put out to TEXT. I can check for this Mergem setting and output 3 more lines. For the video playback the line_start_point or "StartPoint" of the 2nd video; is set to start play 3 seconds before the end of the video. ie "-3000" and that was it. I picked MergEm I noticed it in the nearby source code and knew I wasn't doing a merge right now.

To find where the output lines for GF option were done, I just searched for "xxx." every 2nd line of text created using "GF" option had that at the beginning Just add the 3 new lines there. The code is jumbled and can only get better. No doubt. But right now that was a pretty quick change to be able to do immediate GOLF video. Has your program done anything like this lately. Most most probably not. And there is more. a lot lot more.

Play a Short Short video at full speed then play the last 3 seconds again in slow motion. That's a pretty great FEATURE for video playback. You have to admit.

• Deep 6 your video with SSDS

@Eternal Density said:

@SpectateSwamp said:
    Video Hint: If you don't want some video nut videoing you or others from stealing your best video. Play some copyrighted music. Those skinny ass musicians and their lawyers will be all over them. HA HA HAAAA
    That would almost be clever except that it doesn't stop anyone from filming you and removing or replacing the audio. Also, what's with the Joker impression? .
    I don't know it just seemed a little funny. The lawyers would bite for sure.

With SSDS you could protect your videos by renaming or copying the short short video clips to a Random file name. Have those names and their original order burried deep deep in a text file. Well beyond the capabilities of Google Desktop, MicroSoft or any of the other pretenders.(I've tested those limits)   Thousands of very short video clips (6 or 8 secs) with shuffled Names would be pretty good protection for the most part. Unless they had SSDS of course. Damn *&% SSDS could be it's own worst enemy. Just too powerful Ha Ha Haaaa

SSDS currently has a copy / rename file capability. So it can be done by the real serious Geeks. Like my Swampies.

• LineNumbers BeGone Not with SSDS they aren't

@spenk said:

you prefer goto / gosub over named and parametrised routines? This is a genuine question and not an attempt to be a perfect perfect or a techie lording it over etc.

Probably because I LOVE Line Numbers too. They tried to Steal line numbers from You but SSDS has brought them BACK. Every possible error must come from within this ONE module (how simple). I can just jam it and jam it till things fail. The latest not so major failure was background jobs. After SSDS fired up 7 differently named background jobs; that were doing a Large FONT Slowed print Display. SSDS would Fail. Somehow those background jobs weren't getting cleared out of memory?. SOLUTION Re-use the same Background search NAME for those background processes. What was going on there. Microsoft ARE you listening........ 5 more years before I get to go bug those Dweebs at Channel9  

• Re: LineNumbers are a relic from the past, however Not with SSDS they aren't

@SpectateSwamp said:

Probably because I LOVE Line Numbers too.
    The issue isn't if you love them or not, the fact is they reduce maintainability. Nobody other than yourself understands the relevance of these numbers - a label with a meaningful name would make far more sense, I am afraid to say you didn't really justify the use of line numbers or the use of goto and gosub to me on this one. The fact that line numbers appeal doesn't make them better than subroutines or any clearer to understand.

@SpectateSwamp said:

Every possible error must come from within this ONE module (how simple).
    This one module is thousands of lines long, jumps all over the place and is very difficult for anyone other than yourself to understand. How can that be easier than having smaller, more focused routines that handle errors locally to where the problems are.

@SpectateSwamp said:

I can just jam it and jam it till things fail
    Is that a case of you can do it this way or that the source requires you to do it this way as you aren't 100% sure of where to make changes due to the unstructured nature of the code?

@SpectateSwamp said:

After SSDS fired up 7 differently named background jobs; that were doing a Large FONT Slowed print Display. SSDS would Fail. Somehow those background jobs weren't getting cleared out of memory?. SOLUTION Re-use the same Background search NAME for those background processes. What was going on there. Microsoft ARE you listening........ 5 more years before I get to go bug those Dweebs at Channel9  
    How is this relevant? This has nothing to do with the single point you chose to address, if anything it indicates you couldn't figure out a problem because of the messy nature of the code and have chosen to blame Microsoft.

So are you going to respond to the other points I raised or is this all I am going to get? 

• I only wonder who took the requirements for this program (well, of course, we all know who it was). I am just wondering if there is more than 1 user in this world who would like to have these features.

"Prompt #1 (default) this prompt doesn't matter in a merge.
    Prompt #2 "Merge" then the rest of the merge prompts follow.

resulting in merge.txt or some other file.txt

Same with your emails. Export them to text and they become yours
    to take to any computer, forever."

What is that good for?

"Play a Short Short video at full speed then play the last 3 seconds again in slow motion. That's a pretty great FEATURE for video playback. You have to admit."

How often does one need such a feature?

"SSDS currently has a copy / rename file capability. So it can be done by the real serious Geeks. Like my Swampies."

It thought it's meant to search and find not to rename stuff.

"
    I'm surprised that there is no utility that can go through a
    folder of word documents, creating *.txt output.
    "
    WHAT???

For the completely insane:
    "
    One could even do a screen capture to jpg of all the word docs.
    Maybe even do a video capture of all those documents being flashed
    on the screen. That would be easily search and played randomly.

If there is a change in a file just replace the .txt and .jpg counterparts.

Anyway this is not a either or situation. You could use this search for
    you txt, mpg, mp3 and jpg files. Leaving the rest to vista or your
    indexing search engine of choice.
    "
    Because a video is much smaller than a test file???

Get the handcuffs and the straitjacket.

This guy is the greatest fun for more than 5 years now, and he will certainly not change in the next 10 years

And then:
    Those code changes were just a matter of me searching the source.txt for '"GF"' there I'd set the trigger Mergem to "GOLF" so that when the catalogue lines get Put out to TEXT. I can check for this Mergem setting and output 3 more lines. For the video playback the line_start_point or "StartPoint" of the 2nd video; is set to start play 3 seconds before the end of the video. ie "-3000" and that was it. I picked MergEm I noticed it in the nearby source code and knew I wasn't doing a merge right now.

To find where the output lines for GF option were done, I just searched for "xxx." every 2nd line of text created using "GF" option had that at the beginning Just add the 3 new lines there. The code is jumbled and can only get better. No doubt. But right now that was a pretty quick change to be able to do immediate GOLF video. Has your program done anything like this lately. Most most probably not. And there is more. a lot lot more.

Of course, everybody who is to stupid to search for "GF" (and remember, it's a search utility) and doesn't know that MergEm has to be set to "GOLF" so that the catalogue lines are Put out to TEXT. (mind the dot) is just not worth this piece of divine software. And those who managed that but missed to search for the obvious "xxx" (which has nothing to do with mental violation) should at least book some training lessons at SweepSwamp school.

"And there is more. a lot lot more." Ooooh, well.

"
    With SSDS you could protect your videos by renaming or copying the short short video clips to a Random file name. Have those names and their original order burried deep deep in a text file. Well beyond the capabilities of Google Desktop, MicroSoft or any of the other pretenders.(I've tested those limits) Thousands of very short video clips (6 or 8 secs) with shuffled Names would be pretty good protection for the most part.
    "
    Bruce Schneier couldn't even think of a better way and, hence, has copied most of SSDS's concepts, that is for small files. Big ones are still lying around unprotected.

"
    Thousands of very short video clips (6 or 8 secs) with shuffled Names would be pretty good protection for the most part.
    "
    Please, readers, update me. Do you use such a feature? Do you have thousands of 6 to 8 seconds videos that you want to protect against the evil?

BTW, I am following this post since more or less 2007. The arguments have not changed, neither has the program nor the GUI. Sometimes I wonder if SwopSwamp is not just a robot program the randomly (random is key, remember) posts the same rubbish of the last years. BTW, I only had once the possibility to download the source code (some 2 years ago). Since I couldn't find it anymore. Suggestions?

"The power off button is all that will stop it." Great idea! And if that fails use CTRL-ALT-DEL.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

Play a Short Short video at full speed then play the last 3 seconds again in slow motion. That's a pretty great FEATURE for video playback. You have to admit.

I thought random is key. I need a program that randomly works and when it does then it should play random videos for a random amount of time randomly changing speed at random locations randomly issuing progress indicators which are randomly 2 and 3 dimensional with random appearance of randomly chosen existences in the universe (also referred to as aliens). Random is great, therefore, I throw in some random keys:

o^kerg eoiage éh'io-z;bakàea

You see, this is just great, random characters at a random place in the text, sent to a random person with a randomized brain. Random text is great fun to read ipjzea hhtnbapugaç"aèa(ghpgjops,gubnohn

• Who took LineNumbers away - we want to know. Now.

@spenk said:

@SpectateSwamp said:

Every possible error must come from within this ONE module (how simple).
    This one module is thousands of lines long, jumps all over the place and is very difficult for anyone other than yourself to understand. How can that be easier than having smaller, more focused routines that handle errors locally to where the problems are.

So. I'm still waiting for that Super Simple Object Oriented Modularized Piece Of Cosmic Debris SSOOMPOCD Application that will do all that this Serious program 'SSDS' does. And more simply. and more stupidly. Can't be done. No way. Good code is a bit spaghetti like by Nature. Good code should be easy to test. Just add some Jam to it. Your way doesn't allow for that. Sorry.

What neat new feature is next for SSDS? 

• @SpectateSwamp said:

Good code is a bit spaghetti like by Nature. Good code should be easy to test. Just add some Jam to it. Your way doesn't allow for that. Sorry.

Got some Bolognese sause, maybe?

@SpectateSwamp said:

Just add some Jam to it.

You meanHam, don't you?

@SpectateSwamp said:

Blinking text. That is useful and no other desktop search has it.

Also display text randomly forward, backward so as to provide kind of an encryption on the screen.

Show the first result or the first characters of a line instead of always showing the end.

Concatenate the entire internet into 1 text file and then create the GOOGLE_KILLER

Fuck Google! SSDS is much better and it shows random results always the last 10 characters of a line.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

Those code changes were just a matter of me searching the source.txt for '"GF"' there I'd set the trigger Mergem to "GOLF" so that when the catalogue lines get Put out to TEXT. I can check for this Mergem setting and output 3 more lines. For the video playback the line_start_point or "StartPoint" of the 2nd video; is set to start play 3 seconds before the end of the video. ie "-3000" and that was it. I picked MergEm I noticed it in the nearby source code and knew I wasn't doing a merge right now.
    Whoa whoa whoa.  So you just picked the pre-existing global variable mergem to store golf-feature parameters because ... it wasn't being used at the time?  Does that honestly sound like a good idea to you?   If you broke down the features into seperate subroutines/modules/files, you wouldn't have to be hijacking global variables like this.  It would be much easier to create and modify features, since you wouldn't have to worry about global variables at all.  Why is mergem even global if it's only used by the merging feature?  Seperate that into a different module too for all the same reasons.  Reduce complexity!  Make it easy to share!@SpectateSwamp said:
    With SSDS you could protect your videos by renaming or copying the short short video clips to a Random file name. Have those names and their original order burried deep deep in a text file. Well beyond the capabilities of Google Desktop, MicroSoft or any of the other pretenders.(I've tested those limits)   Thousands of very short video clips (6 or 8 secs) with shuffled Names would be pretty good protection for the most part. Unless they had SSDS of course. Damn *&% SSDS could be it's own worst enemy. Just too powerful Ha Ha Haaaa
    ...Or not share, or whatever.

• Pandering to the top with SSDS

@ClaudeSuck.de said:

I only wonder who took the requirements for this program (well, of course, we all know who it was). I am just wondering if there is more than 1 user in this world who would like to have these features. "Prompt #1 (default) this prompt doesn't matter in a merge. Prompt #2 "Merge" then the rest of the merge prompts follow. resulting in merge.txt or some other file.txt Same with your emails. Export them to text and they become yours to take to any computer, forever." What is that good for? "Play a Short Short video at full speed then play the last 3 seconds again in slow motion. That's a pretty great FEATURE for video playback. You have to admit." How often does one need such a feature? "SSDS currently has a copy / rename file capability. So it can be done by the real serious Geeks. Like my Swampies." It thought it's meant to search and find not to rename stuff. " I'm surprised that there is no utility that can go through a folder of word documents, creating *.txt output. " WHAT??? For the completely insane: " One could even do a screen capture to jpg of all the word docs. Maybe even do a video capture of all those documents being flashed on the screen. That would be easily search and played randomly. If there is a change in a file just replace the .txt and .jpg counterparts. Anyway this is not a either or situation. You could use this search for you txt, mpg, mp3 and jpg files. Leaving the rest to vista or your indexing search engine of choice. " Because a video is much smaller than a test file??? Get the handcuffs and the straitjacket. This guy is the greatest fun for more than 5 years now, and he will certainly not change in the next 10 years And then: Those code changes were just a matter of me searching the source.txt for '"GF"' there I'd set the trigger Mergem to "GOLF" so that when the catalogue lines get Put out to TEXT. I can check for this Mergem setting and output 3 more lines. For the video playback the line_start_point or "StartPoint" of the 2nd video; is set to start play 3 seconds before the end of the video. ie "-3000" and that was it. I picked MergEm I noticed it in the nearby source code and knew I wasn't doing a merge right now. To find where the output lines for GF option were done, I just searched for "xxx." every 2nd line of text created using "GF" option had that at the beginning Just add the 3 new lines there. The code is jumbled and can only get better. No doubt. But right now that was a pretty quick change to be able to do immediate GOLF video. Has your program done anything like this lately. Most most probably not. And there is more. a lot lot more. Of course, everybody who is to stupid to search for "GF" (and remember, it's a search utility) and doesn't know that MergEm has to be set to "GOLF" so that the catalogue lines are Put out to TEXT. (mind the dot) is just not worth this piece of divine software. And those who managed that but missed to search for the obvious "xxx" (which has nothing to do with mental violation) should at least book some training lessons at SweepSwamp school. "And there is more. a lot lot more." Ooooh, well. " With SSDS you could protect your videos by renaming or copying the short short video clips to a Random file name. Have those names and their original order burried deep deep in a text file. Well beyond the capabilities of Google Desktop, MicroSoft or any of the other pretenders.(I've tested those limits) Thousands of very short video clips (6 or 8 secs) with shuffled Names would be pretty good protection for the most part. " Bruce Schneier couldn't even think of a better way and, hence, has copied most of SSDS's concepts, that is for small files. Big ones are still lying around unprotected. " Thousands of very short video clips (6 or 8 secs) with shuffled Names would be pretty good protection for the most part. " Please, readers, update me. Do you use such a feature? Do you have thousands of 6 to 8 seconds videos that you want to protect against the evil? BTW, I am following this post since more or less 2007. The arguments have not changed, neither has the program nor the GUI. Sometimes I wonder if SwopSwamp is not just a robot program the randomly (random is key, remember) posts the same rubbish of the last years. BTW, I only had once the possibility to download the source code (some 2 years ago). Since I couldn't find it anymore. Suggestions? "The power off button is all that will stop it." Great idea! And if that fails use CTRL-ALT-DEL.

Oh Yeah! Well I'm doing Golf Video using SSDS and Nope the CTRL -ALT -DEL wouldn't do it. Hold that power on button DOWN till it stops.

And If you truly have been following this SSDS stuff since the 2007 Why the H%*& aren't you using it? You continue to resist using its capabilities You don't like the coding style  so you resist. Is that it? All over a few minor programming shortcommings. So sad for you. So Sad. 

• @SpectateSwamp said:

So. I'm still waiting for that Super Simple Object Oriented Modularized Piece Of Cosmic Debris SSOOMPOCD Application that will do all that this Serious program 'SSDS' does. And more simply. and more stupidly. Can't be done.
    I'm still waiting for a feature list or a spec or something to go on.  I think I asked for one a dozen or so pages back.

If you provide a list of the high level goals, I might take a crack at it.

Two examples of high level goals would be "can search for files" and "can attach arbitrary metadata to files for searching".

• @SpectateSwamp said:

Good code is a bit spaghetti like by Nature. Good code should be easy to test. Just add some Jam to it. Your way doesn't allow for that.
    These are two completely opposingideas though. Your application is a sprawling mess, with no clearly defined routines or structure. UI interaction is deeply embedded with the logic and cannot be decoupled easily. There is no way you can fully test this code in any automatic way, how do you currently ensure new features like "golf" don't break existing features? This system requires manual, labour intensive testing for any change.

Good code is clean, readable, unit testable and doesn't have logic and UI tightly coupled. It shouldn't require hacking and hacking to get features in and trying to make them work. A good structure would have clearly defined places to add options and functionality, not simply reusing an existing varibale because we think it isn't needed at the moment. No one person other than yourself can follow the "logic" of this application in the slightest.

@SpectateSwamp said:

Application that will do all that this Serious program 'SSDS' does.
    Nobody knows what SSRR does though, there is no documentation or logic to it. If we knew what it did then we could replicate it. Quite frankly the golf option could be a stand alone C#program with very little effort, it is only hosting media player after all.

• 1 module wonder - SSDS

@ClaudeSuck.de said:

@SpectateSwamp said:

Blinking text. That is useful and no other desktop search has it.

Also display text randomly forward, backward so as to provide kind of an encryption on the screen.

Show the first result or the first characters of a line instead of always showing the end.

Concatenate the entire internet into 1 text file and then create the GOOGLE_KILLER

Fuck Google! SSDS is much better and it shows random results always the last 10 characters of a line.

Some good points ^^^.

With just 1 module, I have never lost any code. I may have hundreds of old versions kicking around. But never lost code with just 1 app. Never - can't be done.

I can't wait till somebody has a better version of SSDS running on a Mac or Linux Go Swampies

• @SpectateSwamp said:

I can't wait till somebody has a better version of SSDS running on a Mac or Linux

That can't happen, because nobody can compile VB5.

Would you like to port it to VB6?

• @dhromed said:

@SpectateSwamp said:
    I can't wait till somebody has a better version of SSDS running on a Mac or Linux
    That can't happen, because nobody can compile VB5.
    It's already been ported to Linux!  In fact, it comes built-in!  It's called find, grep, cat, and mplayer.

find . -exec cat {} \; > merge.txt
    grep 'search term' merge.txt

mplayer:
    [ and ]  - decreases/increases current playback speed by 10%.
    { and }  - halves/doubles current playback speed
    . (period)   - advances by one frame

Can't beat that!

• @Xyro said:

It's already been ported to Linux!

I really don't understand the rest of your post, so maybe you could explain the joke and thus kill it?

•  @SpectateSwamp said:

@JohnWestMinor said:

WRONG ANSWER, SWAMP.

You could be RIGHT.

Bad code that does stuff is better than good code that does nothing of the like.

To find where the output lines for GF option were done, I just searched for "xxx." every 2nd line of text created using "GF" option had that at the beginning Just add the 3 new lines there. The code is jumbled and can only get better. No doubt. But right now that was a pretty quick change to be able to do immediate GOLF video. Has your program done anything like this lately. Most most probably not. And there is more. a lot lot more.

Are you trying to be sarcastic? 'Cause this is probably one of the most successful attempts at sarcasm ever on the internet, however, that would require you to actually comprehend sarcasm.

• Re: 1 module cluster fuck - SSRR

@SpectateSwamp said:

With just 1 module, I have never lost any code. I may have hundreds of old versions kicking around. But never lost code with just 1 app. Never - can't be done.
    So how do you track the changes between these versions then? How does 1 file with 1 routine prevent code loss any more than 1 folder with multiple files prevents code loss?

@SpectateSwamp said:

I can't wait till somebody has a better version of SSDS running on a Mac or Linux Go Swampies
    People can't even compile a version of SSRR for windows anymore, how on earth do you expect people to port a program to a foreign system when they can't compile it on it's native system?

• @SpectateSwamp said:

And If you truly have been following this SSDS stuff since the 2007 Why the H%*& aren't you using it? You continue to resist using its capabilities You don't like the coding style  so you resist. Is that it? All over a few minor programming shortcommings. So sad for you. So Sad. 

I do not resist because of your coding style (there are more programs like yours). It is simply because I don't know how to use it. ENTER, ENTER, ENTER only shows me a list that I believe is coming from your computer (and of course "Input past file". How many years does it take to get rid of this simple bug?). And what the heck do you need this second prompt for? Because you want to see the last ten characters in a line??? Or the last doc??? What is that good for? What is P1 and P2? What does MERGE NOMERGE do? I thought it's a search engine. And the only help one can get is going into your code and try to figure it out.  And that is where readability comes into play. But your program is self-protected by this unreadable gibberish. No one, I guess, has the guts to try to understand that thing from top to bottom.

With all that merging rubbish I believe you should call it Desktop Merge and not Desktop Serge.

• 🚽 Regular

@SpectateSwamp said:

I know how it is. Once I had about 13 modules in my application, and on my way to deliver the final product, I hit a bump on the highway and one of the modules fell out the back of my pickup. I decided from that point on to make one monolithic application with a single module, which was too big to fit in my pickup, but I decided to rent a barge and deliver it by sea.

• You got it with SSDS

@spenk said:

@SpectateSwamp said:

So how do you track the changes between these versions then? How does 1 file with 1 routine prevent code loss any more than 1 folder with multiple files prevents code loss?

Oh Yeah and 5 files are as safe as 1 or a kazillion files are as safe as ONE. Nothing is as secure as 1. You either got it or don't got it. Never; I might have them all kind of thing.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

You either got it or don't got it. Never; I might have them all kind of thing.
    Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

• Re: You got nothing with SSDS

@SpectateSwamp said:

@spenk said:

@SpectateSwamp said:

With just 1 module, I have never lost any code. I may have hundreds of old versions kicking around. But never lost code with just 1 app. Never - can't be done.

Oh Yeah and 5 files are as safe as 1 or a kazillion files are as safe as ONE. Nothing is as secure as 1. You either got it or don't got it. Never; I might have them all kind of thing.

your method requires you to create the form and project every time though! That is the same as loosing the source for the form and the project anyway. Ffs at least keep the .frm between builds.
    You still haven't given reasons as to why gosub is better than subroutines or why badly named global variables are better than well named variables local to a procedure either.

• Speed through your knowledge base with SSDS

@ClaudeSuck.de said:

@SpectateSwamp said:

I do not resist because of your coding style (there are more programs like yours). It is simply because I don't know how to use it. ENTER, ENTER, ENTER only shows me a list that I believe is coming from your computer (and of course "Input past file". How many years does it take to get rid of this simple bug?). And what the heck do you need this second prompt for? Because you want to see the last ten characters in a line??? Or the last doc??? What is that good for? What is P1 and P2? What does MERGE NOMERGE do? I thought it's a search engine. And the only help one can get is going into your code and try to figure it out.  And that is where readability comes into play. But your program is self-protected by this unreadable gibberish. No one, I guess, has the guts to try to understand that thing from top to bottom.

With all that merging rubbish I believe you should call it Desktop Merge and not Desktop Serge.

It is readable I've put dates all over the place. You need a good search like SSDS to examine 10,000 lines of code properly. SSDS is Heavy on the Merge. It was the only way to get around the slow speed of a complete directory search; every time a search was done. Anyhow the extract capablities allow for an extract of the displayed data if required. The BackGrounder capabilites should not be overlooked. Random this and that running in the background. Showing a Random Just Done List. Random will make you love your data.

As for the enter enter stuff. I used that technique because I wanted to default to files and options and search strings on the entry of the program. Those elements would be cleared and I could enter enter enter to close out. Way simpler and Way faster than a CTRL - Anything; for a competent typist.

It allows for a display of the last page of my notes and to close out in under 3 seconds. Time and again. When the last page of your notes are this easy you'll have a reason to keep them. A very good reason.

The More powerful your Search the more secure your data - with SSDS you are pretty secure

Old Greppler himself would be proud if he is still around?

• More randomness with paired search details

When 2 paired sets of lines are created during the "GOLF" option; another Random feature of SSDS comes into play. Because SSDS searches 3 lines for a match before trying another random entry point. The matching pairs of videos will randomly be 1 and 2 or Just 1 or 2. Getting too random for you?

Maybe a Golf_before option to switch the order of the paired lines. You know how easy that would be.

• Build SSDS today and Jam-IT

As for those that are whining about no ability to build an exe of your SSDS changes. Send me or some other old relic those changes and we'll build the TEST exe for you. One after the other until your jamming is successful. That should help you along the way to developing SSDS in another language all together. If you can follow the logic through. This way you can completely replace / rewrite SSDS. Remember there are flowcharts for the only complex part the "line wrap and hi-lite" routine.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

It is readable I've put dates all over the place.
    What?  ...  What???

Why would all those date comments make your code any more readable??  Does this look readable to you?

[code]ttt = "YES" ' 2001-07-01
    rrq = "Y" ' 2001-07-01
    mergr = "True" ' 2001-07-01
    _99 = tt [/code]&[code] rndmrndm ' 2001-07-01[/code]

• @SpectateSwamp said:

It is readable I've put dates all over the place.
    How on earth does adding dates everywhere help the code to be readable? Only you have any idea what those dates mean ffs, the code is a tangled mess of goto, gosub and global variables. Adding a comment of 'June 2004 doesn't make it any more readable to the world outside you head.

@SpectateSwamp said:

You need a good search like SSDS to examine 10,000 lines of code properly.
    Nope any decent IDE can work with that amount of code, plus allow searching call stack tracing (not applicable in your case), refactoring etc. SSDS will let you do as much as notepad if notepad couldn't edit.

@SpectateSwap said:

As for those that are whining about no ability to build an exe of your SSDS changes. Send me or some other old relic those changes and we'll build the TEST exe for you. One after the other until your jamming is successful. That should help you along the way to developing SSDS in another language all together. If you can follow the logic through. This way you can completely replace / rewrite SSDS. Remember there are flowcharts for the only complex part the "line wrap and hi-lite" routine.
    Wouldn't it be more sensible to at least get it compiling under VB6? That way people stand a chance of compiling it themselves, trying to follow the logic is impossible from the source alone - those two flow charts are utter meaningless crap anyway. The entire source is far to intertwined and confused to ever be fully deciphered by a sane mind. I really, really want you to explain what you have against subs and functions though - there must be a proper reason to go to such lengths to avoid them.

• @SpectateSwamp said:

That should help you along the way to developing SSDS in another language all together.
    I want specs.  Highlighting and line wrapping are trivial.  What text manipulating library doesn't have that built in?

What do you want out of the replacement?  How about a fast directory search?  That way you don't have to waste your time merging files.  Should be easy to do.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@spenk said:

...same as loosing the source for the form...
    <koff>
    my source wants to roam freeee.....
    Erm, anyway...

@spenk said:
    You still haven't given reasons as to why gosub is better than subroutines or
    why badly named global variables are better than well named variables local to a
    procedure either.
    You're asking Swampy reasonable questions, in a straight forward manner, and expecting coherent replies? You should know better.

• 🚽 Regular

@SpectateSwamp said:

When 2 paired sets of lines are created during the "GOLF" option; another Random feature of SSDS comes into play. Because SSDS searches 3 lines for a match before trying another random entry point. The matching pairs of videos will randomly be 1 and 2 or Just 1 or 2. Getting too random for you?

Maybe a Golf_before option to switch the order of the paired lines. You know how easy that would be.

What do you mean by a random entry point? I'm visualizing this case where when you launch SSDS it runs a random piece of your code. Surely it doesn't do that... right? I mean, I know SSDS is the product of an insane mind, but this is almost Joker-level insane. I've always known you as more Ted Kazinsky-level insane.

• @PJH said:

@spenk said:
    <koff>
    err. I think my brain is being dragged down the evolutionary ladder by partaking in this thread :) that is my excuse and I am sticking to it.

•  @PJH said:

@spenk said:
    <koff>
    Erm, anyway...
    @spenk said:
    You still haven't given reasons as to why gosub is better than subroutines or why badly named global variables are better than well named variables local to a procedure either.
    You're asking Swampy reasonable questions, in a straight forward manner, and expecting coherent replies? You should know better.

Then lemme try and translate it so Swamp can understand the question:

Why do you jam your noodles by futzing with the innoodle noodles manually instead of letting the jammer do the same thing, with its own built in jamming techniques, when it jams the noodles by having the noodles stored in jammable jamjams?

Well, I'm certainly proud of that sentence!¶ I will put it on my resume!¶

• @JohnWestMinor said:

Why do you jam your noodles by futzing with the innoodle noodles manually instead of letting the jammer do the same thing, with its own built in jamming techniques, when it jams the noodles by having the noodles stored in jammable jamjams?

Well, I'm certainly proud of that sentence!¶ I will put it on my resume!¶

Nice attempt, but better don't put it on your resume

just a suggestion

• @Xyro said:

<font face="Lucida Console" size="2">ttt = "YES" ' 2001-07-01
    </font>

tHEtRUEtRUTH = "YES" <font face="Lucida Console" size="2">' 2001-07-01 Omitted comment: before there was just truth, now, we can really believe
    </font>

@Xyro said:

<font face="Lucida Console" size="2">rrq = "Y" ' 2001-07-01
    </font>

rEADrEPLYqUESTION = "Y" <font face="Lucida Console" size="2">' 2001-07-01 Omitted comment: Added for readability, don't think this is funny, we have to keep this comment, otherwise who would ever know?
    </font>

@Xyro said:

<font face="Lucida Console" size="2">mergr = "True" ' 2001-07-01
    </font>

mERGEeVERYrUBBISHYOUgANrECOVER = "True"<font face="Lucida Console" size="2"> ' 2001-07-01</font> <font face="Lucida Console" size="2">Omitted comment: Now index files and whatsoever files can be merged (BTW what's the difference to a "C:\COPY a.txt+b.txt+c.txt+..."?</font>

Until here it is not so difficult, but now

@Xyro said:

<font face="Lucida Console" size="2">_99 = tt </font>&<font face="Lucida Console" size="2"> rndmrndm ' 2001-07-01</font>

_99 = tRUEtRUE & rANDOMnUMBERdOmOTHINGrANDOMnUMBERdOmOTHING <font face="Lucida Console" size="2">' 2001-07-01 Omitted comment: Shit, I hit the m-key instead of the n-key but it's documented here
    </font>

FTFY

• Death of a Million modules - Not with SSDS

@spenk said:

I really, really want you to explain what you have against subs and functions though - there must be a proper reason to go to such lengths to avoid them.

Because for the Zealots it's all or nothing. Banishing GoTo's and LineNumbers because somebody deemed the best way the ONLY way. Somehow I get this warm fuzzy feeling Just knowing all the logic is right here in this ONE module. Death of 1,000,000 modules to those that follow the misguided path. Not so with SSDS - Life with 1 Module. Very simple. Too Simple for some. A more simpler and powerfuler application I never knew.

Yeah SSDS..... Phooey to those that make the Software rules. Double phooey.

The dates in the source code LINK together where enhancements were made. To make a similar enhancement look to the date of that particular feature. EXAMPLE The logic for the slowed print. Search for: "03 January 2005" If you want to do a different print control that's where to look. Most of the features that required an addition to the control.txt items are docummented this way. See an item of interest in that file. Then check out the code for that element's creation date. Track a few of these changes. Or hop right to it and FORGET the code altogether and start using video and all the great features SSDS has to offer the POWER Knowledge sharing Swampies.