Oh Korea, what will we do with you?



  • I'm currently living and working in Korea and planning a vacation for my girlfriend and myself. I came upon the following site.
    Warning: music autoplays; hit your mute button now. http://english.esuncruise.com/

     

    A few WTFs

    • First off, yes, it is a hotel that was built to look like a cruise ship, and yes, they built it on a hill.
    • Second, most media and scripts are hosted by http://netpia21.co.kr/
    • Third, I'll actually be staying here for a few days.

    Adittionally in Firefox, clicking on most links, such as "ENJOY" "A NIGHTCLUB" will result in very poorly formatted URLs, such as: http://english.esuncruise.com/enjoy/\enjoy\main_2.php instead of the more correct http://english.esuncruise.com/enjoy/main_2.php. Could someone help me to understand what is going on here?

    Thanks,
    Sasha



  • @lamoix said:

    Adittionally in Firefox, clicking on most links, such as "ENJOY" "A NIGHTCLUB" will result in very poorly formatted URLs, such as: http://english.esuncruise.com/enjoy/\enjoy\main_2.php instead of the more correct http://english.esuncruise.com/enjoy/main_2.php. Could someone help me to understand what is going on here?
    I haven't actually checked the site (it's taking way too long to load), but the links probably use backslashes instead of forward slashes. IE tries to be smart, and automatically changes them to forward slashes. Other browsers treat backslashes the way they were supposed to be treated - like any other non-forward slash character.



  • @ender said:

    IE tries to be smart, and automatically changes them to forward slashes.

    TRWTF is that Microsoft just had to diverge from the established standards and have a different directory separator character.



  • @ender said:

    I haven't actually checked the site (it's taking way too long to load)

    Dito here, but it already loaded the <title>: Untitled Document! Yay!

    Oh, they have CSS:

    font-family: "돋움", "굴림";

    Good they specified an alternate font just in case some odd visitors lack the 돋움 font. Oh, and JS:

    <script language="JavaScript" type="text/JavaScript">
    <!--
    function MM_reloadPage(init) {  //reloads the window if Nav4 resized
      if (init==true) with (navigator) {if ((appName=="Netscape")&&(parseInt(appVersion)==4)) {
        document.MM_pgW=innerWidth; document.MM_pgH=innerHeight; onresize=MM_reloadPage; }}
      else if (innerWidth!=document.MM_pgW || innerHeight!=document.MM_pgH) location.reload();
    }
    MM_reloadPage(true);
    //-->
    </script>

    Great... But the best thing is that they seriously think it is a good idea to have an entire HTML page inside a table cell. Complete with head and body. Not with an iframe, not with XML magic, just a <html> as a child element of a <td>.



  • @tdb said:

    @ender said:
    IE tries to be smart, and automatically changes them to forward slashes.
    TRWTF is that Microsoft just had to diverge from the established standards and have a different directory separator character.
    Excuse me, but what standards were there in 1982 when DOS was released?  UNIX had been out for quite a few years, but so had a million other systems with a million other directory separators.



  • @belgariontheking said:

    @tdb said:

    @ender said:
    IE tries to be smart, and automatically changes them to forward slashes.
    TRWTF is that Microsoft just had to diverge from the established standards and have a different directory separator character.
    Excuse me, but what standards were there in 1982 when DOS was released?  UNIX had been out for quite a few years, but so had a million other systems with a million other directory separators.

    QFT



  • @tdb said:

    TRWTF is that Microsoft just had to diverge from the established standards and have a different directory separator character.

     

    Microsoft uses forward slashes just like everyone else does. Its just that you have to quote the path so the shell dosen't interpret the forward slashes as command switches. The following are quivalent:

    C:&gt;dir /w/p "c:/windows/system32/drivers/etc"
    C:&gt;dir /w/p c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc

     kind of handy, actually. 



  • Unix uses '-' as the command-line parameter character and '/' as the subdirectory separator. When MS-DOS 1 came out they didn't have subdirectories (neither did CP/M) so the #@! used '/' as the command-line parameter character. When MS-DOS 2 came out the '/' was already taken so they used ''.

    Yeah, the big secret is that Windows supports '/' but doesn't admit it.



  • @trwww said:

    Microsoft uses forward slashes just like everyone else does. Its just that you have to quote the path so the shell dosen't interpret the forward slashes as command switches. The following are quivalent:

    C:&gt;dir /w/p "c:/windows/system32/drivers/etc"
    C:&gt;dir /w/p c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc

    However, if you use the /, you can't tab complete the same way you can with .  Every time you type /<tab>, it starts listing the directories at the root of the current drive.



  •  Ah, Korea. Well - what do you expect? A year or two ago I found one of those web sites that lets you make an avatar for forums or whatever. It had all these layers, and on each one you could pick from various horrid, garish and often animated options, paper-doll style. Add a hat, a pair of boots, a balloon...

     

    Anyway, for the hell of it, I decided to pick the most horrible option for each of (at least) 15 layers, and ended up with this:

     

     

    Fantastic, isn't it?



  • @PeriSoft said:

    <Korean avatar>

     

    I think you just Zerg Rushed my optical lobe.



  • @PeriSoft said:

     Ah, Korea. Well - what do you expect? A year or two ago I found one of those web sites that lets you make an avatar for forums or whatever. It had all these layers, and on each one you could pick from various horrid, garish and often animated options, paper-doll style. Add a hat, a pair of boots, a balloon...

     

    Anyway, for the hell of it, I decided to pick the most horrible option for each of (at least) 15 layers, and ended up with this:

     

     

    Fantastic, isn't it?

    Remind me again, why can't we use animated images as avatars on this forum?



  • @bstorer said:

    Remind me again, why can't we use animated images as avatars on this forum?

    Because all avatars are unconditionally recoded to JPEGs, and those can't be animated. And the grey guy blatantly being a GIF adds insult to injury.



  •  You could always pick one frame and go with that. It wouldn't have the same panache, but it'd still be hell on the eyes!



  • I just noticed that the cartoon girl appears to have three arms: one on her purse, one flashing a peace sign, and one holding up that stupid doll (which is wagging its finger at us).



  • @Spectre said:

    @bstorer said:
    Remind me again, why can't we use animated images as avatars on this forum?

    Because all avatars are unconditionally recoded to JPEGs, and those can't be animated. And the grey guy blatantly being a GIF adds insult to injury.

     

    Whooooosh.

     



  • @Justice said:

    I just noticed that the cartoon girl appears to have three arms: one on her purse, one flashing a peace sign, and one holding up that stupid doll (which is wagging its finger at us).

    Evidently they mistook Photoshop Disasters for an anatomy course.


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.