Deadlines

• @PJH said:

@Aaron said:

So you mean to tell us that you finished two months of scheduled work in 1 (very long) day, equivalent to maybe 2 or 3 normal days?

I've heard of fudge factors, but that's ridiculous.

Typical fudge factors round here involve estimating the time the original request will (reasonably) take, doubling the number, and increase the units (one hour -> 2 days, 3 days -> 6 weeks, 1 week -> 2 months.) So it's not that unbelievable.

We're that far down the 'chain of command' that it's usually accurate when you take into account changes of scope, interruptions etc.

I used to do that, too, until I told my boss a one year project was going to take two decades.  Evidently he felt this was too much padding.

• @morbiuswilters said:

I used to do that, too, until I told my boss a one year project was going to take two decades.  Evidently he felt this was too much padding.

This was twenty years ago?

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@morbiuswilters said:

Amusing.

How long did it take?

• @morbiuswilters said:

@PJH said:

@Aaron said:

So you mean to tell us that you finished two months of scheduled work in 1 (very long) day, equivalent to maybe 2 or 3 normal days?

Typical fudge factors round here involve estimating the time the original request will (reasonably) take, doubling the number, and increase the units (one hour -> 2 days, 3 days -> 6 weeks, 1 week -> 2 months.) So it's not that unbelievable.

We're that far down the 'chain of command' that it's usually accurate when you take into account changes of scope, interruptions etc.

You worked on Duke Nukem Forever?

• @PJH said:

I know people who I swear actually use this system.  They've estimated 2 weeks to install a certificate, and 1 month to add a 3-line method to a web service.

Apparently, "Agile" means putting the game on super-slo-mo, so you can go to the can, grab a coffee, and still look like you have lightning-fast reaction times.

In competent organizations, the accepted method is generally to apply the fudge factor to entire projects/releases as opposed to individual tasks.  Student syndrome and all that.

• @PJH said:

@Aaron said:

I much prefer that than the "Welcome to our kickoff meeting, oh by the way: this project is critical and due next week!", kind of bullshit. As a developer, who cares if you padd too much?

• @morbiuswilters said:

I must be a real pussy, though, because even though it rarely tops 80 here I run A/C at home and in the car.

Yes, you are. Here it's 90F and I'm running a desk fan to stop my laptop overheating.

• @pjt33 said:

@morbiuswilters said:

I must be a real pussy, though, because even though it rarely tops 80 here I run A/C at home and in the car.

Yes, you are. Here it's 90F and I'm running a desk fan to stop my laptop overheating.

Why deal with that kind of heat?  It's so unpleasant.

• @Weng said:

End result, once you take into account that I did damage to other features to rush this one through, delayed dozens more, and then had to take several days off to decompress, I'm now WELL BEHIND on this project

Ah, yes.  I remember that phenomenon.  Back in '97 or so, I worked on a rush project for a customer who declared a particular programming job was going to be completed before anyone on that task went home that night.  About 24 hours later, management saw sanity, because it was clear that the harder we were working, the further behind we were getting.  (Also, in a fit of micromanagement, they'd applied the same rule to themselves, and they were really tired.)  Fixing the original problem took about 4 hours after we looked at it again with fresh eyes.  Fixing the rest of our mistakes took another week.

(Revision control?  Yes, I was using revision control.  Unfortunately, it wasn't my project; I was pulled in as another pair of eyes.  I was the only one in that division using revision control at that time.  I did manage to pick up a couple of converts, as a result of that incident, however.)