Fifa 07 - file not found



  • After years and years of playing EA's FIFA 07, it finally understood why I frequent this site:

    Fifa 07 - File not Found

    Spoiler: The background of the top left pane reads "file not found".



  • @bjolling said:

    Spoiler: The background of the top left pane reads "file not found".
     

    The real WTF is that it's actually the top right pane...



  • The real WTF is that people actually play EA sports games.



  • @Soviut said:

    The real WTF is that people actually play EA sports games and buy every single '07, '08, '09 "new" version, wasting $47 on what other games would give as free updates or expansion packs.
     

    FTFY.

    Seriously, I'm surprised that EA can't manage this when Quake (circa 1996) created the "mod" market all those years ago. The current gen consoles already have HDD's, so managing the "2009 update pack!" is not a problem. But noooo, EA wants to rip you off!



  • "I'm surprised that EA can't manage this when Quake (circa 1996) created the "mod" market all those years ago. The current gen consoles already have HDD's, so managing the "2009 update pack!" is not a problem. But noooo, EA wants to rip you off!"



    You explained it yourself. They can, they just don't.



  • @danixdefcon5 said:

    @Soviut said:

    The real WTF is that people actually play EA sports games and buy every single '07, '08, '09 "new" version, wasting $47 on what other games would give as free updates or expansion packs.
     

    FTFY.

    Seriously, I'm surprised that EA can't manage this when Quake (circa 1996) created the "mod" market all those years ago. The current gen consoles already have HDD's, so managing the "2009 update pack!" is not a problem. But noooo, EA wants to rip you off!

    According to my brother who works there, there's a whole set of different demographics they target all at once by releasing annually.  Some people buy every year, others buy every other, and some people buy Madden and realize who crappy it is to not only be playing football, but to be playing an awkward video game of it to boot.



  • @bitpirate said:

    @bjolling said:

    Spoiler: The background of the top left pane reads "file not found".
     

    The real WTF is that it's actually the top right pane...

    The real real WTF is that "spoilers" usually come before the thing they're supposed to spoil, rather than after it.  Putting them this way round just totally ruined the lack of surprise!



  • @DaveK said:

    @bitpirate said:

    @bjolling said:

    Spoiler: The background of the top left pane reads "file not found".
     

    The real WTF is that it's actually the top right pane...

    The real real WTF is that "spoilers" usually come before the thing they're supposed to spoil, rather than after it.  Putting them this way round just totally ruined the lack of surprise!

    Maybe "spoiler" wasn't the best word to use, but I wanted the avoid comments like: "Plz tell me what is going on here! There is nothing wrong with the picture and I'm too lazy to look for myself".

    I don't see what's wrong with EA games and EA's strategy. Fifa 09 has come out and I'm still happily playing Fifa 07. One day, Fifa 09 will be a "classic" in the budget section and I will happily pay 9.99 euro for it in 2011. EA tries to make as much profit as possible and I try not too spend too much on computer games. It just works :-)



  •  TRWTF is you have a time machine and just use it to brag about how long you've played a game released two years ago.



  • @trainbrain27 said:

     TRWTF is you have a time machine and just use it to brag about how long you've played a game released two years ago.

    You don't think that playing a game for two years is a long time?

    So I shouldn't have used the phrases:

    • years and years
    • spoiler
    • top left pane

    That'll teach me posting when drunk! At least I have reached the 2015-2016 season in the game - it certainly feels like years and years



  • @danixdefcon5 said:

    Seriously, I'm surprised that EA can't manage this when Quake (circa 1996) created the "mod" market all those years ago. The current gen consoles already have HDD's, so managing the "2009 update pack!" is not a problem. But noooo, EA wants to rip you off!
    We console gamers don't WANT 'update packs' or to have to futz around installing stuff to 'HDD'. A console should work like:

    1) Insert game

    2) Play game

    Also, a new game means they can add things other than just the new players and teams. They can make any changes they want. Whether or not they do nowadays I don't know. They used to - back in the PS1 days, new versions of regular sports series were generally regarded as improvements (though there were turkeys, like F1 '98)



  • @bjolling said:

    You don't think that playing a game for two years is a long time?
    I don't. Though I wouldn't say "two years" == "years and years" either.



  • @m0ffx said:

    Though I wouldn't say "two years" == "years and years" either.

    That would be at least four years. 8=]



  • @m0ffx said:

    Also, a new game means they can add things other than just the new players and teams. They can make any changes they want.

    While this is true, a lot of good ideas simply get shut down in these series due to the fact that their deadline is absolute.  So that great feature that may finally make a playable NHL game winds up getting scrapped because it would take too long to implement before the "09 deadline" hits.



  • The real WTF is playing FIF instead of pro evo!



  • @flukus said:

    The real WTF is playing FIF instead of pro evo!
    IIRC, PES doesn't have the official license and therefore can't use the real names. And I like real names!

    @Spectre said:

    That would be at least four years. 8=] 
    What if I had posted: "after playing the game for seaons and seasons"? After all, I made it to 2016 in-game and still going



  • @m0ffx said:

    We console gamers don't WANT 'update packs' or to have to futz around installing stuff to 'HDD'. A console should work like:

    1) Insert game

    2) Play game

    Well-designed X360 games work like that. Occasionally you have to download a patch when you start the game (which takes about a minute), and if you want you can download additional content from the menu, but when you want to play the game, you put the disc in and there you go.



    There are, of course, poorly-designed games that require some sort of silly installation, EULA, and other nonsense, but that's not the system's fault. The majority just start up and play, even without a hard disk. (Assuming, of course, the console hasn't died yet...)



  • @lolwtf said:

    @m0ffx said:

    We console gamers don't WANT 'update packs' or to have to futz around installing stuff to 'HDD'. A console should work like:

    1) Insert game

    2) Play game

    Well-designed X360 games work like that. Occasionally you have to download a patch when you start the game (which takes about a minute)
    Also of note is that if you dont want, you don't have to download the update if you don't want, though IIRC that will restrict your access to online interactions in the game. 



  • @lolwtf said:

    @m0ffx said:

    We console gamers don't WANT 'update packs' or to have to futz around installing stuff to 'HDD'. A console should work like:

    1) Insert game

    2) Play game

    Well-designed X360 games work like that. Occasionally you have to download a patch when you start the game (which takes about a minute), and if you want you can download additional content from the menu, but when you want to play the game, you put the disc in and there you go.
    It is also true for the PS3. Of course, the updates are usually required to play online; but if you're not interested in that, well, it isn't needed to play the game.

    The current-gen console gaming industry seems to be more and more like the post-Quake PC gaming industry: sell the game, then sell "add-ons" which can be sold online. The new HDD-toting consoles can store bought content, so what was impossible with the older consoles (except the later PS2's and the original Xbox) is new being exploited by game developers.


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.