I just registered and the e-mail message I received is base64 encoded



  • I just registered on this forums, and the e-mail message I received is base64 encoded. Why does it send a base64 encoded instead of a plain message? Also, the subject line is encoded as well. Also there is no blank line between the headers and messages, shouldn't there be a blank line between the headers and messages?

    I just now renamed "mailbox.txt" to "mailbox.eml" and opened it in Outlook Express, which wouldn't display the message because the blank line between the header and message is missing, so I added the blank line manually and then it displayed. But it is marked as "very important" and it doesn't seem that important, I can access this forum before I have opened the message.

    Maybe you should correct this problem? Another problem I noticed just now, is ALT+S doesn't a shortcut for "Post" button, which most other message board software does do. It should be fixed on the main site as well. Also ALT+P should preview. In this case with tabs, possibly ALT+P to switch between "Compose" and "Preview" tab would be good.



  • Some MUA encode the complete message in base 64. Other don't.

    Outlook Express is one of the few MUA that doesn't not decode them (the headers specifies base64 is being used).

    Where did you got mailbox.txt ? You know, outlook express stores messages in .dbx which you can't just rename to .eml (as opposed to mbox, which you can easily edit). If you made it bydecoding the base64... Well, the headers don't go base64 encoded.



  • @TRWTF said:

    Some MUA encode the complete message in base 64. Other don't.

    Outlook Express is one of the few MUA that doesn't not decode them (the headers specifies base64 is being used).

    Where did you got mailbox.txt ? You know, outlook express stores messages in .dbx which you can't just rename to .eml (as opposed to mbox, which you can easily edit). If you made it bydecoding the base64... Well, the headers don't go base64 encoded.

    The SMTP server software I wrote stores the messages in a file called mailbox.txt. I wrote that software in PHP and when I want to receive a message I open that program, when the message arrives it will play a sound effect so I know that, and then when I am finished I push CTRL+C to close the server program, and I can read the messages in mailbox.txt. To delete the messages I just clear mailbox.txt.

    If you want the source-code for that software, I might post it but wait at least a week, I am usually only available on the weekend



  • @zzo38 said:

    The SMTP server software I wrote stores the messages in a file called mailbox.txt. I wrote that software in PHP and when I want to receive a message I open that program, when the message arrives it will play a sound effect so I know that, and then when I am finished I push CTRL+C to close the server program, and I can read the messages in mailbox.txt. To delete the messages I just clear mailbox.txt.

    If you want the source-code for that software, I might post it but wait at least a week, I am usually only available on the weekend

     

    No thanks.  Without even looking at the code, I think it may have issues in decoding/encoding messages in base64, encoding the subject lines of incoming messages, removing the header-body blank line divider, and marking unimportant messages as important.  Plus, I don't like having to be online to receive messages-- I'd be ok if they queued in my mail server for a while.  And a delete button would be nice, too.



  • Now I've never written a mail server.. but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't try to do it in PHP. 



  • @AccessGuru said:

    No thanks.  Without even looking at the code, I think it may have issues in decoding/encoding messages in base64, encoding the subject lines of incoming messages, removing the header-body blank line divider, and marking unimportant messages as important.  Plus, I don't like having to be online to receive messages-- I'd be ok if they queued in my mail server for a while.  And a delete button would be nice, too.

    It is a mail server, not a client or decoding software. It doesn't even try to decode messages, it doesn't encode the subject lines of imcoming messages, remove blank lines, or mark unimportant messages as important. It is the sender that did that stuff. The message comes in as the sender sent it. A delete button isn't required because it isn't designed to be user-friendly.

    I only use this to receive messages for e-mail sign up forms on web-sites that require e-mail verification (this web-site did not require verification but it sent a message to me anyways). Usually the messages are not encoded and I can just read them in a plain-text editor. And I don't use this or any other e-mail for any of the other purposes that e-mail is usually used for. If you try to send a message to me right now, it will bounce because I am not running the server right now. I only run that program when I need it.



  • @zzo38 said:

    The SMTP server software I wrote stores the messages in a file called mailbox.txt. I wrote that software in PHP and when I want to receive a message I open that program, when the message arrives it will play a sound effect so I know that, and then when I am finished I push CTRL+C to close the server program, and I can read the messages in mailbox.txt. To delete the messages I just clear mailbox.txt.

    Were you under the impression that this is not how most MTAs work? Because they do.


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.