Prostitutes sew lips together



  • Prostitutes sew lips together

    Certainly suggestive of "lips in a place other than your mouth" that Jake just wrote about, huh? If I didn't see it on the Internet, I'd never believe it was true. ;)

    See the whole story at http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/oukoe_uk_bolivia_prostitutes 



  • The Real WTF<tm> is that when I tried to paste text from the article in to the site's enterprisey comment editor, Opera treated it as if it had gone into the address bar(1) and gave me an error.

    Then when I hit the back button, it crashed.

    Well played, everyone. I'll be sure to switch Javascript off, and just [i]type[/i] in any text in the future.

    (phpBB forums and such work just fine. WTF?)

    (1) Opera does that any time you paste (middle click) into a page, without hitting a text field.

    Here's what I was trying to paste:

    Tomorrow we will bury ourselves alive if we are not immediately heard. The mayor will have his conscience to answer to if there are any [b]grave[/b] consequences


  • LA PAZ (Reuters) -
    Prostitutes in the Bolivian city of El
    Alto
    sewed their lips together on Wednesday as part of a hunger
    strike
    to demand that the mayor reopen brothels and bars
    ordered closed after violent protests by residents last week. 

    "We are fighting for the right to work and for our
    families' survival," Lily Cortez, leader of the El Alto
    Association of Nighttime Workers, told local television.

    Just in case there was any confusion over which lips were sewn up... (Seems they had a choice?)



  • @PJH said:

    LA PAZ (Reuters) - Prostitutes in the Bolivian city of El Alto sewed their lips together on Wednesday as part of a hunger strike to demand that the mayor reopen brothels and bars ordered closed after violent protests by residents last week. 

    "We are fighting for the right to work and for our families' survival," Lily Cortez, leader of the El Alto Association of Nighttime Workers, told local television.

    Just in case there was any confusion over which lips were sewn up... (Seems they had a choice?)

     

    Well there is a hint in the article... 

    "Tomorrow we will bury ourselves alive if we are not immediately heard. The mayor will have his conscience to answer to if there are any grave consequences, such as the death of my comrades," she said, surrounded by about 10 prostitutes who had sewn their lips together with thread.

     



  • I don't care if you sew all three pairs together. If you allow it to be done, you are clinically insane.



  • @rdrunner said:

    "Tomorrow we will bury ourselves alive if we are not immediately heard.
    The mayor will have his conscience to answer to if there are any grave
    consequences, such as the death of my comrades," she said, surrounded by about 10 prostitutes who had sewn their lips together with thread.

     

    Well, unless there's a convenient avalanche nearby, burying yourself pretty much inherently entails grave consequences.




  • @rdrunner said:

     

    Well there is a hint in the article... 

    "Tomorrow we will bury ourselves alive if we are not immediately heard. The mayor will have his conscience to answer to if there are any grave consequences, such as the death of my comrades," she said, surrounded by about 10 prostitutes who had sewn their lips together with thread.

     

    Actually there isn't a hint. She could be talking for the rest of them because she is the only one that hasn't sewn her lips together.  So she is able to speak for the group, the rest cannot because they are silenced by a few threads.

     TRWTF is that we are trying to assume that they mean labia when there is no real indication of this, and the only reason we think that is because these are prostitutes.

    My WTF is that I understand that labial could also mean the lips on your mouth.
     



  • @dhromed said:

    I don't care if you sew all three pairs together. If you allow it to be done, you are clinically insane.

    Three pairs?  Let me guess:

    The lips on your face, Major Labia, Minor Labia.

    If you mean anything else, I would be morbidly fascinated.
     



  • @KattMan said:

    @dhromed said:

    I don't care if you sew all three pairs together. If you allow it to be done, you are clinically insane.

    Three pairs?  Let me guess:

    The lips on your face, Major Labia, Minor Labia.

    If you mean anything else, I would be morbidly fascinated.

    Um, yes. What other lips are there?

    They're my favourite. 



  • @magetoo said:

    (1) Opera does that any time you paste (middle click) into a page, without hitting a text field.<tm>



    That's a bit of a WTF itself. I'll often try to middle click a link, but miss and end up going to a "link" consisting of whatever garbage was in the paste buffer (probably the last couple lines I was reading, since I like to highlight lines to keep track of where I am.)


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.