What is this, Rocktober?

• BINNED

Last year was nice and all, but by the end of it I thought, this is nothing like what I ‘usually’ (implies free time) do; if part of the goal is to practise then next time I should do something more in line with my typical approach. So, more about shapes and shading than lines and stark contrast.

Hence were born the RULES:

• one hour
    • one layer
    • one colour
    • one scale
    • one attempt

Basically a bunch of things to focus on streamlining the drawing process and not get hung up on diversions. It’s not really ‘ink’ besides the lack of saturation but shush, I used the same prompts anyway. Last time I think it turns out most actually took less than an hour, but some definitely took longer so I had a hard limit here. Usually ended up using all of it, too.

Also as demonstrated :arrows: I did remember to start recording timelapses from #4 on, which were fun at the time but I reckon you probably don’t care much for 20 minutes of timelapses back-to-back, so I’ve thoughtfully gone through and exported still images of everything and might just include the odd timelapse for particular favourites.

WEEK 0–1

Dream: Well, it’s what came to mind. A decent start; the sort of thing I was after for this year. ROCK COUNT: 1
    1_dream.jpg

Spiders: NOT TO SCALE. Also, mate, I don’t think she’s your type.
    2_spiders.jpg

Path: it’s around the bottom right, see? ROCK COUNT: 2
    3_path.jpg

Dodge: The first time I remembered to try recording! The video is :arrows:. Didn’t really get the ‘dynamicness’ of the pose right but I guess it turned out better than I remember.
    4_dodge.jpg

Map: I’d spent the whole day thinking the prompt was ‘golden’ and had a brilliant idea. But it turned out to be something completely unrelated. Shading’s pretty lacklustre; I consider this Almost Bad (unsurprising considering it features a stinkin’ mammal).
    5_map.jpg

Golden: in retrospect, looking at this in the gallery of completed stuff, it’s actually pretty flat too. But otherwise it is Good and the sort of thing I was after in this endeavour, after a woeful lapse over the last few. ROCK COUNT: 3
    6_golden.jpg

Drip: kind of a rip off of ‘spiders’. Took a bit to get the leaves looking good.
    7_drip.jpg

Toad: It’s a cane toad. You uncivilised folk wouldn’t get it.
    8_toad.jpg

WEEK 2

Bounce: One of those awful prompts but I prevailed. See the ricochet? Ha ha. I might have been playing a bit of Titanfall 2.
    9_bounce.jpg

Fortune: I've had a change of luck, I found the twenty bucks I thought I lost under the sofa …
    … okay the face is a bit bad but honestly it’s a miracle I drew not one but two without committing sudoku. The one on the note actually looks pretty bad but you can’t tell because it’s upside-down. It wasn’t even supposed to be there but I buggered up the framing and drew far more note than intended. Also please don’t use this for counterfeiting; I didn’t bother with the microprint.
    10_fortune.jpg

Wander: ROCK COUNT: 4
    11_wander.jpg

Spicy: Technically the prompt was ‘Spicey’ but I didn’t feel like drawing a Marriam-Webster dictionary.
    12_spicy.jpg

Rise: ROCK COUNT: 5
    13_rise.jpg

Castle: The appropriate soundtrack for reliving the experience. I don’t think this counts as a rock for the rock count. Also I didn’t notice at the time but there’s a bit of a perspective derp here. I didn’t bother with guidelines because I somehow made myself believe the RULES were restrictive than they were. Guess I was just getting into the spirit.
    14_castle.jpg

Dagger: well dang if it isn’t a Stinkin’ Mammal that actually looks alright. Cunning sea of black in the bottom left so I didn’t have to deal with the consequences of poor framing. Also I was mirroring horizontally back and forth like mad while doing this and lost track of which reality was the real one, so the first attempt at writing the title actually had it backwards.
    15_dagger.jpg

WEEK 3

Angel: Ha, like I’m going to draw an angel. No, you get Northstar. Basically the same. Actually I’ve ‘wanted’ to draw something involving her for years but didn’t know how to do it justice, so it’s good that this came out alright. Railgun might be a bit short but shhhhhhh
    16_angel.jpg

Demon: Can I get a ‘hell yeah’? Well, it could be better. I did run out of time. ROCK COUNT: 6
    17_demon.jpg

Saddle: blergh. It was meant to take up more of the frame but maybe it’s for the best you can’t see much. Death of the author that rule of thirds.
    18_saddle.jpg

Plump: The grey butcherbird has two modes: Bird, and Fluffball. Here is a butcherbird in fluff form, though perhaps the neck should be more hunched to attain the true triangle.
    19_plump.jpg

Frost: I feel climatically discriminated against. Where’s the prompt for ‘oppressive humdity’, huh?
    20_frost.jpg

Chains: Not entirely what I had in mind but came out close enough. Bonus chains just to drive the point home.
    21_chains.jpg

Scratchy: I’m sure it’ll be fine.
    22_scratchy.jpg

WEEK 4–5

Celestial: How many stars or constellations can you identify? Hint: if you live in a shithole from which the centre of the galaxy is not visible, you might find this a bit difficult.
    23_celestial.jpg

Shallow: This might be where I started to use burning and dodging to enhance contrast. It might be!
    24_shallow.jpg

Dangerous: 📸 I’m pretty sure that’s not meant to be like that.
    25_dangerous.jpg

Remove: regular refueling. Probably the control rods should stick out more than zero after being detached from the drives but I’m sure it’ll be fine, so long as they don’t contain any graphite.
    26_remove.jpg

Beast: I was going to just do that thing :arrows: but polished but then was all nooo it has to be original or unique somehow but I don’t actually have any ideas for uniqueness. Well I guess it’s alright. I recall it being worse.
    27_beast.jpg

Sparkle: This was going to be on fire, because I actually got here from sparkle→fire, but then I thought, you know, that’s nice enough. I’ll just add some lights and say it counts. Also, silhouettes are cheating.
    28_sparkle.jpg

Massive: I once sketched a massive crater in the middle of a cityish thing and drawing tiny squares for buildings took ages. And it didn’t even look good. So the real challenge was making a passable city with its endless local contrast in less than an hour. ROCK COUNT: 7
    29_massive.jpg

Rush: The idea was, someone getting impatient watching paint dry, so instead of doing something else they just try to make it dry faster. A camera filming the wall might have helped convey that but I had the dual problems of Time and Space.
    30_rush.jpg

Fire: I love a sunburnt country… Definitely made use of ‘burn’ blending here, though perhaps not as much as it might warrant…
    31_fire.jpg

And that concludes the onus of drawing for another eleven months! Maybe doing more harm than good…

I was going to just upload the pictures and come back to caption it all tomorrow, but instead I’ve gone and written everything and it’s late so I might as well post it and won’t bother with timelapses for now. Maybe as a follow-up soon enough. Nominate any you want to see.

• Notification Spam Recipient

@kazitor said in What is this, Rocktober?:

Can I get a ‘hell yeah’?

Fuck yeah.

Ha, like I’m going to draw an angel.

You did, but you had to force yourself to forget in order to resume the prior level of sanity.

• ♿ (Parody)

I've had a change of luck, I found the twenty bucks I thought I lost under the sofa

You deserve something nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vb9ae6cSAGA

• BINNED

@boomzilla I thought you might recognise it.

I’ve been threatening to upload videos so let’s give it a shot. How about…

edit: nope, blockquotes don’t work either. I think some site CSS is needed :kneeling_warthog:

• Nice drawings, and thanks for sharing!

Dagger: well dang if it isn’t a Stinkin’ Mammal that actually looks alright. Cunning sea of black in the bottom left so I didn’t have to deal with the consequences of poor framing. Also I was mirroring horizontally back and forth like mad while doing this and lost track of which reality was the real one, so the first attempt at writing the title actually had it backwards.

May I ask why you kept mirroring? Is it something you do for all (most?) drawings or just this one, and if so what makes it different from the other?

• BINNED

@remi said in What is this, Rocktober?:

May I ask why you kept mirroring? Is it something you do for all (most?) drawings or just this one, and if so what makes it different from the other?

Generally not part of the process, though fairly common for humanish things depending on circumstances. Here I think I was looking at photos that had a face going the other way while using my own (left) hand for the dagger.

I guess a video would be apt. You won’t see the mirroring but you can spot the backwards text.

After I noticed it was off it was actually a bit of a hassle to get the snapshots to pick up on it being re-reveresed.