Lamp wiring?

• Some compact CFL bulbs recently failed. I went on to replace them, and decided to go with LED replacements. The socket is a bit weird - G24d-1 - hadn't seen those before.

The setup uses two physical switches.

The strange part is that the new LED bulbs are emitting light even when the lights are technically turned off. They're dimmer than when fully on. Lights come on fully immediately when turning things on, but briefly flicker before settling in the dimmer state when turning off.

There's also a ventilator unit on the same circuit (so same switches). It's off when things are off (new light dim), on when things are on (new light bright).

Any idea wtf would be causing this? Switches seem physical, so I'd expect them to disconnect the power fully. Leakage? Like, enough to noticeably illuminate the room? How? That seems sketch (but LEDs are way more sensitive). Some sort of ballast getting the way? But if there's no power, there shouldn't be any power ... or am I missing something about wiring of CFLs?

• @Rhywden Yeah, that's probably it. ๐Ÿ‘

Dammit, I even tried to get decent bulbs (osram).

I don't really want to mess with the wiring, so options seem to be a bit limited.

Well, at least I know why it's doing that.

• BINNED

@cvi said in Lamp wiring?:

options seem to be a bit limited.

Just whack a perfectly-tuned inductor across the switch to cancel the admittance.

If this is a tropical drink, it might just be some remnant pulpy bits.

Auto nerdsnipe: whacking some numbers into a formula from the one true source, Iโ€™d roughly estimate a simple twin-lead line to have something like 25 nF/km, so maybe something like 20 nS shunt admittance for a few metres. So 160 kH across the switch would reduce that a fair bit.

Acquiring 160 kH is left as an exercise to the reader ๐Ÿน (hey, itโ€™s not like it needs to handle current of any note)

Addendum: if you can remove the light and chuck a current-measuring multimeter across the socket, youโ€™d get a much better estimate of the actual admittance involved.

• @cvi said in Lamp wiring?:

decent bulbs (osram)

Just ask our ๐Ÿ‡ต๐Ÿ‡ฑ community what kind of associations they have when they hear osram...
    ๐Ÿ’ฉ