The Wibble

• @NeighborhoodButcher said in The abhorrent 🔥 rites of C:

We, sane programmers, know how bad is C. It’s a dinosaur, which should have died long ago. But, due the vicious circle of legacy code, implying more C developers, implying more C code, it won’t die, so we may call it a zombie dinosaur. What’s worse than C is the mentality in many (most?) C programmers. They think code should be clever, they think the more bizarre way of doing things, the better. After all, who cares about things like architecture, design patterns, scalability or maintainability. We have 20y old bubbling masses of pure evil and their disconnected from reality authors forcing on their 20y old wisdom. We have C programmers constantly reinventing pseudo-solutions to problems, which modern world has already solved. The more twisted the solution, the better.

@NeighborhoodButcher great source material, can't wait for you to get started into another WTFy project with Samsung code :-P

• stupid iframely doesn't work since I stopped serving ipv4

• @sockpuppet7 So you stopped the site and expect iframely to still work? Or anybody being able to read it for that matter?

Because for all practical purposes, IPv6 does not exist. We don't have it configured at work, I don't have it configured on the home modem (it would support it, but I'd have to find out whether the provider even does) and, most relevantly for iframely, docker does not support it.

• @Bulb but it was faster without cloudflare, and my ipv4 is behind a cgnat. are you telling me you don't want to change your infrastructure to view it?

ok, I turned cloudflare back on, and depending on your DNS it should work between now and 48h

I'll give you more 75 years to update your infra, or until the ban on meta.discourse is over, whatever comes last

• IPv6 isn't the protocol we deserve, but it's the protocol we don't need

• @Bulb Docker has some IPv6 support: https://docs.docker.com/config/daemon/ipv6/

But it’s not enabled here and I suspect it isn’t going to randomly change any time soon. And even if Docker does, no guarantee iframely will work correctly.

• @Arantor said in The Official Funny Stuff Thread™:

Bond is actually a Time Lord'

• @Arantor said in The Wibble:

@Bulb Docker has some IPv6 support: https://docs.docker.com/config/daemon/ipv6/

It says it's experimental, so not surprising it's not enabled.

Strangely enough it is GA in Kubernetes already (Kubernetes is not using docker these days, but usually is using the containerd lower-level component of it).

• @sockpuppet7 said in The Wibble:

IPv6 isn't the protocol we deserve, but it's the protocol we don't need

We sort of need it, and the ISPs that are large enough that the 10.0.0.0/8 is too small for them use it, but it is so much more complicated than IPv4 that most sysadmins don't want to deal with it until they absolutely have to.

• @Bulb said in The Wibble:

@sockpuppet7 said in The Wibble:

IPv6 isn't the protocol we deserve, but it's the protocol we don't need

We sort of need it, and the ISPs that are large enough that the 10.0.0.0/8 is too small for them use it, but it is so much more complicated than IPv4 that most sysadmins don't want to deal with it until they absolutely have to.

I know, this gets very visible when you want to self host without paying extra for the privilege of an ipv4 address

I mean, the first part, dunno what gets more complicated for sysadmins, but I believe it's simpler but they already know a lot of ipv4 stuff, so it may appear easier for them

• Guest said in Wiki: Memes:

Frames Securely Mediate, By Design
    origin: I am right and the entire Industry is wrong
    Also Secure multi-mediation is the future of all webbing, etc. "Advice" is given in an email to liberally use HTML frames, culminating with the following: Frames securely mediate, by design. Secure multi-mediation is the future of all webbing. The expressions get instantly adopted by the community, often put as a humorous way to solve whatever problem it is posted in response to.

• @sockpuppet7 now you’ve got me thinking.

In the years since that article, iframes did get that security attached to them. Not quite in the way the genius implied (and he’s still very wrong about what security means) but cross-iframe shenanigans are distinctly harder now than they were then, assuming you set things up correctly.

I assume the same rules would apply to classic frames. Because if not, oh my.

• @Arantor said in The Wibble:

cross-iframe shenanigans are distinctly harder now than they were then

Clickjacking is a thing though. Authenticated pages should basically always be set up so they won't load in (i)frames.

• @Bulb of course they should, or at least if you are going to do this, that you control what origins you allow from (e.g. if you’re me, you have a site that has iframes out to hosted forms on Pardot, or you have a WordPress site that embeds a widget from your booking site on a subdomain that you also host)

It’s just, I wonder, all the limelight for security was on iframes, I’d hope/expect/pray that the same was applied to old school frames because browsers still support that shit. But I wonder if that’s actually true.

• @Arantor The documentation for content-security-policy: frame-ancestors says it applies to all four of <frame>, <iframe>, <object> and <embed>, so apparently yes.

• @Bulb there are so many other attributes for iframes though, where you can do all sorts of very conditional access that I don’t think you can do at the CSP level (though it’s been a couple of years since I wrote a CSP myself), e.g. opening individual browser features to individual iframes.

• @Arantor They are two orthogonal mechanisms for two orthogonal purposes. With CSP the site to be embedded says which sites it is willing to be embedded into, which with the iframe options the embedding site specifies what information and permissions it wants to share with the embedded site.

• @Bulb said in The Wibble:

@Arantor They are two orthogonal mechanisms for two orthogonal purposes. With CSP the site to be embedded says which sites it is willing to be embedded into, which with the iframe options the embedding site specifies what information and permissions it wants to share with the embedded site.

Yes, and I wonder if all the protections that are available are equally implemented, which was the point I made all the way along.

• last outage was my ISP blame

• @Tsaukpaetra do you think gemini writes more interesting than my current gpt-4-turbo-preview thing? I did this test in on the free web thing:

Local Hunk Dives Headfirst into Lawsuit After "Too Hot for Safety" Waterslide Stunt (Lawsuit May Not Be As Wet and Wild)

Sunburn Springs, FL - A local waterslide attendant has sparked outrage and a potential lawsuit after what could only be described as a "romantic miscalculation at 30 mph." Kevin "The Kraken" Krakenheimer, known for his "smooth talk and even smoother moves," found himself in hot water (pun fully intended) after attempting a gravity-defying maneuver during a routine slingshot ride.

Eyewitnesses report that Krakenheimer, while securing a female patron in a "rather lengthy pre-launch procedure," exhibited "flirting so blatant it could have launched the raft itself." Sources close to the incident (who all requested anonymity for fear of Krakenheimer's legendary charm) allege the pre-launch "safety briefing" devolved into what many described as "a mid-air grope session that rivaled a professional wrestling match."

Just as the patrons were about to be launched into a blissful state of weightlessness, Krakenheimer, in a move that park officials are calling "an egregious breach of protocol and possibly basic human decency," performed a daring (and frankly questionable) acrobatic flip. This "romantic aerial maneuver," as Krakenheimer himself described it, unfortunately resulted in him landing headfirst in the shallow end of the pool, narrowly missing a flock of startled pool noodles and a particularly grumpy-looking inflatable flamingo.

While the patrons reportedly escaped with nothing more than a mild case of whiplash and a newfound appreciation for personal space, Krakenheimer is facing a potential lawsuit for "emotional distress" and "public indecency at a high rate of speed." Park officials, still bewildered by the entire incident, have released a statement assuring patrons that "safety is our top priority," while simultaneously adding a new line to the employee handbook titled "Absolutely No Flirtatious Fouls at Launch."

Krakenheimer, sporting a bandage on his head and a sheepish grin, maintains his innocence, claiming the patrons "totally dug the move" and that the lawsuit is "just a bunch of salty tears from joyless landlubbers." However, legal experts predict a different outcome. "This case," one analyst chimed in, "has all the makings of a legal flop. It's a slippery slope, and Mr. Krakenheimer might find himself completely out of his depth."

• Notification Spam Recipient

@sockpuppet7 said in The Wibble:

@Tsaukpaetra do you think gemini writes more interesting than my current gpt-4-turbo-preview thing? I did this test in on the free web thing:

It appears to produce a sequence of coherent-at-face-value text related to the input.

• I'm doing some tests using the AI to translate everything. Now the root (index) page is translated with whatever is in the browser accept language, and can be overriden with a ?lang=xxx.

Whatever the AI understands should work, including things you invent like "en-spongebob", "pt-spongebob", "en-uwu", "it-pirate", etc.

en-spongebob does this:

8eba5feb-fcfe-4881-b5e7-b33cf5e449bb-image.png

italian-pirate does this (I dunno if it got piratelike cause I cant read italian):

fac9d9d7-9466-44be-b729-baa813668438-image.png

f9e0eda2-59b7-4cb1-a97c-2967da5e0507-image.png

english-donald-trump:

fef44e10-7c0a-4cf2-b8af-f6538cb7f96a-image.png

• 29b53101-b8fe-4a2f-a3b9-8eb7dd02a42b-image.png

• english-don-lafontaine gets interesting stuff

24ef1e13-ccc6-4bea-be98-7f67acb9d4f6-image.png

• Moved it to microsoft/wizardlm-2-8x22b, and no censorship, can finally give people that put pineapple on a pizza what they deserve