Re: Shameless Plug - My New Novel

• @Gustav said in Shameless Plug - My New Novel:

just like Rust! You could be using Rust.

If you could point me in the direction of a decent cross-platform Rust GUI library / framework I'd be much obliged. because last time I looked into that, the options I found were... underwhelming.

I'm looking for something that:

• Compiles to native code, doesn't run in a browser (no WASM stuff)
    • provides a resonably native look and feel for the OS it runs on
    • allows for moderately complex custom widgets and data models, on the level of e. g. a simple vector graphics editor widget or so.
    • Feels "Rusty", i. e. has an API that fits well with Rust language concepts

Basically the only option I found that seemed to be beyond toy / proof of concept level and suitable for more-than-trivial GUIs was GTK, which

1. is heavily based on subclassing, which is awkward in Rust. More generally, the API just didn't seem to fit right into Rust concepts.
    2. is huuuge. Download and build take ages and the dependency tree is vertigo-inducing.
    3. Apparently requires registering build products at the system level. Specifically the thing that peeved me was that apparently to use the Settings functionality I had to have a schema or something registered in some global registry, which IMHO is an absolute no-go for development. I suppose I might be able to set up my own dev registry something but ain't nobody got time for that.
    4. I just don't like it much.

• @ixvedeusi That's a pretty tall order. Made me check why Qt needed Perl for building. Turns out that it doesn't need it anymore. Now it has its own purpose-built tool, built in C++, for... checks notes ..."checks header files for conformity with Qt standards and generates the symbol-specific CaMeL header files".

• @acrow said in Re: Shameless Plug - My New Novel:

That's a pretty tall order.

Yeah I know :sadface: It's already a tall order in any language, and Rust's unusual type system and idioms will make any ports or FFI bindings of existing libraries awkward to use without a good, thick layer of glue code. I guess to really get a decent coding experience would require writing something entirely new, using design concepts that fit into the way things are done in Rust. I'd be tempted to give it a try, but I'm relatively new to Rust, GUIs are really not my area of expertise, and also I don't have the required couple more man-years to spend on that particular hobby project.

@acrow said in Re: Shameless Plug - My New Novel:

Qt

would be my go-to solution as I've used in the past (from C++, but also from Python which I found to be a surprisingly non-shitty experience) and found reasonably OK to use; but it, too, is huuuge, and unlike GTK there didn't seem to be much in terms of providing a reasonable Rust bridge. And of course it also has that problem of being fundamentally designed around subclassing; if anything, it's design is even more language-specific (to C++ in this case) than GTK. Well, maybe I should give it a try anyway next time I find time to do some Rust.

• Banned

@ixvedeusi said in Re: Shameless Plug - My New Novel:

decent cross-platform Rust GUI library

It was in comparison to doing WinAPI in PureBasic. Neither "decent" nor "cross-platform" were in requirements.

• @Gustav cross-platform is one of my requirements longer term, just not for this one particular baby project.

And I since learned I need less direct WinAPI fluff because PB has more of it built in.

But I would have looked at Rust if my choices for UI weren’t, basically, fucking GTK because fuck GTK.

• @Gustav said in Re: Shameless Plug - My New Novel:

Neither "decent" nor "cross-platform" were in requirements.

I was just hoping maybe you know something I don't :sadface:

Not gonna dirty myself with WinAPI any more than I need to. Anyways my primary target (and development) platform is Linux so WinAPI isn't even on the table.

Any experience of using Qt from Rust perchance? Or should I start looking into X11 bindings? Zero experience of that but the general consensus seems to be :eek: 🤮 ⛰ 🏃♂

• Considered Harmful

@ixvedeusi said in Re: Shameless Plug - My New Novel:

should I start looking into X11 bindings

Yes. Definitely.