Azure Synapse transaction stuck in queued state

• We have several tables living in an Azure Synapse DB that we need to truncate as part of a larger pipeline. But, starting very recently, whenever we try to truncate the tables, the transactions are unable to complete and get stuck in an eternal state of suspension.

sys.dm_pdw_exec_requests shows these transactions as having a status of "Suspended" while sys.dm_pdw_waits shows them as being in a state of "Queued" with a priority of "8". Does anyone know what these values mean? We haven't found any further documentation on them. Any suggestions on particular queries that can be executed within Synapse that could provide more detail about the reason for these suspensions?

The reason all of this matters to us is that we have a pipeline set up in Azure Data Factory that copies data to these tables. This pipeline is set up to first truncate the data in our tables before inserting new data. Because the truncation is eternally suspended, the copy jobs never complete and the pipeline fails.

• Considered Harmful

@pavangcc could something be holding a lock?

• Considered Harmful

This is now stale enough, I think, to start screwing around with. First on the agenda: I cannot stop reading this as prolapsed transaction.

• Any updates? I once dodged working on Synapse cos azure shit except app service and storage breaks in weird ways.