what is this google tag manager thing?

• I mostly don't care about tracking, but I got curious when I saw this notification on bit defender. It seems to be something for marketing, but we don't have ads here. Is is something like google analytics? Or they got a form to monetize it a bit without annoying ads?

46a16eab-980e-4136-b030-221d93b77d55-image.png

• @sockpuppet7 You can ask your web developer to add it to the page, and then tell GTM all of the spyware analytics packages you want to load. If you want to add more malware value-added services in the future, you can do it via GTM without having to bother your web developer again. Plus, it has built-in templates for most services, so turning your customers into a virulent botnet business intelligence couldn't be easier!

• @sockpuppet7 On a slightly more serious note, because it it almost always used for analytics services, and analytics services have reached a critical level of end-user hostility (because the customer is maybe the site, usually a bunch of unrelated parties, almost never the end user), anything in that entire space is getting preemptively blocked these days to avoid further damage.