Weird DNS issues

• I am seeing some weird DNS issues on my laptop. Connecting to work using GlobalProtect and the default DNS servers work. Trying to set up an alternate DNS server to test something and seeing a lot of weirdness.

If I switch to using TCP instead of UDP, things seem to work fine (but only works on Linux, since can't seem to figure out how to do it in windows).

On windows, it doesn't time out or anything, but just keeps getting NXDOMAIN responses. Even for random stuff like google.com

Checking in Wireshark it seems that it is getting that response from the DNS server. Checking on the DNS server itself, I don't think I see the query come in at all, either through the bind querylog or tcpdump.

It seems to work fine for other people, and I'm the only one on Windows 11 so far. I am also having issues with another DNS server (windows 2016 at the same location/subnet).

• Seeing the same weirdness using the google dns server 8.8.8.8 when on Global Protect

• Considered Harmful

@dangeRuss said in Weird DNS issues:

Connecting to work using GlobalProtect and the default DNS servers work. Trying to set up an alternate DNS server to test something and seeing a lot of weirdness.

Sounds like there is a VPN involved and the alternate DNS has no idea how to route for that. You may need some kind've proxy.

• @Gribnit said in Weird DNS issues:

@dangeRuss said in Weird DNS issues:

Connecting to work using GlobalProtect and the default DNS servers work. Trying to set up an alternate DNS server to test something and seeing a lot of weirdness.

Sounds like there is a VPN involved and the alternate DNS has no idea how to route for that. You may need some kind've proxy.

GlobalProtect is the VPN, but the TCP routing seems to work fine. Trying to figure out where TF is the NXDOMAIN responses are coming from, since something has to send them, it's not just timing out. Maybe something wonky on the firewall.