Trustworthy e-mail provider

• So the server where my mail is currently stored is going to die in a month. I can redirect the mail alias wherever, but I'd need a place then. Do you have an idea for a provider that

• Supports IMAP (in addition to a web interface, but I don't want to be limited to that) and
    • Can be at least somewhat trusted?

Thanks.

• @Bulb Yeah, but they're pretty expensive if email is all you're using them for. I'm not sure exactly how much, because I have DNS services, extra mailboxes, excess disk usage, occasional domain renewals, and other charges, and I don't seem to be able to get an itemized invoice any more, just a lump sum which varies from month to month. Basic service is about $20/month, maybe?

I can give you more info if you're interested.

• @Bulb Do it yourself with https://mailinabox.email/ ?

• Really depends on what you mean by "somewhat trusted". The big players (Microsoft, Google, Amazon, etc.) have their "business-style" plans, so they've got a lot of eyes on them. I'd go with something paid rather than something free, just because then you're the customer and not the product, so there's more incentive for them to be playing by the rules. But I don't know how much you actually want to trust them. I've also heard good things about ProtonMail and PolarisMail, but haven't actually used either of them myself.

If you're as paranoid as I am, then you can do what I do and run Postfix/Dovecot/etc. and own your own encryption keys. (I'm trusting AWS enough to host the server on there, though.) It can be a real hassle to be responsible for setting up your own spam filtering, server maintenance and monitoring, though.

• Notification Spam Recipient

@Bulb
    Not sure what your requirements are, but I use FastMail and I'm satisfied.

• I use Mailfence, the Entry subscription at €2.50 per month. This subscription has IMAP, CalDAV, a web interface and up to 10 domains and aliases. As well as a document storage thingy that I don't use.

I picked Mailfence over Protonmail or Tutanota because the latter two don't support IMAP. Protonmail does have a "bridge" service, but you need to install this on every device you need IMAP on.

They also have a transparency report.

Before Fastmail I used TransIP, but they're getting expensive. Before TIP I self-hosted, but that was a nightmare. Every upgrade or modification had a chance of breaking the setup. Cannot recommend.

• I have a cheap A2Hosting (~US$120/year) server account for my domains, web sites, email, and so on. Don't know which aspect of their service you'd be worried about trusting, but as far as I can tell they haven't done anything extra to expose my email to the Internet.

• There's some recent discussion on the mailop mailing list about recommendations, which had a lot of support for Fastmail, and some suggesting you might want to look at MXRoute.

• I've been using Google Apps since they were free, now called Google Workspace.

There's also Amazon Workmail - $4/user/month.

IMAP Protocol Support

Amazon WorkMail allows you to access your email with any email client application that supports the IMAP protocol. This allows you to choose from a broad range of clients on the platform of your choice, including those that do not offer support for Microsoft Exchange compatible protocols like Microsoft Exchange Web Services and Microsoft ActiveSync. It also allows you to integrate Amazon WorkMail with IT applications and systems which rely on the IMAP protocol to access email. Amazon WorkMail offers an SMTP gateway so that you can send email through WorkMail without the need to configure a different SMTP endpoint.

Feature-Rich Web Client

Amazon WorkMail provides a feature-rich web client so that users can access their email and calendars, view shared calendars, quickly schedule meetings with co-workers, or search the company address book using their browser. Users can also manage their out-of-office replies and book resources, such as conference rooms. The Amazon WorkMail web client is also integrated with Amazon WorkDocs to provide users with the ability to attach files stored in WorkDocs to an email, replace an existing email attachment with a WorkDocs link, and securely save attachments to WorkDocs with a single click. The Amazon WorkMail web client supports most popular browsers, including Firefox, Chrome, Safari, and Edge.

• Notification Spam Recipient

I started using soverin.net recently. No complaints so far.