CDPR gets Cyberpulled

• Java Dev

I'm surprised nobody made a topic about the latest gaming dumpster fire yet. But after Fallout 76 I guess the logical sequel is Cyberpunk 2077 after all. But yeah, it looks like Sony got tired of the piss-poor performance and CDPR sending all angry fans wanting refund to them.

Now let's see if MS will do the same, or allow the game to keep festering on the MS Store for now. Although, considering they released a Cyberpunk-themed Xbox One X a few months ago maybe it's harder for MS to pull it...

• @Atazhaia
    In retrospect, I'm so glad my PS4 refused to download it. Maybe it became self-aware and rejected the buggy game.

The comparison to Fallout 76 is not entirely fair, though. At least Cyberpunk is playable on one platform iff you have a decent graphics card and there's a good game hiding beneath the bugs. But CDPR's project management should absolutely be fired into the sun. Releasing a game in this state, especially the console version, is crazy, and the original release date would have been even crazier.

• The hype train is a very good indicator for when a game will be released too early. The more hype the worse the game will be on release. I fully expected it to be a mess on release day simply because of the hype train.
    I have no doubt that CDPR will fix it, and I look forward to playing it in a year or so.

• @Carnage said in CDPR gets Cyberpulled:

I have no doubt that CDPR will fix it, and I look forward to playing it in a year or so.

I should have done that as well, but with COVID and the latest AC game being utter shit again, I was simply too bored to wait. Fortunately, it's very playable on GFN since the 1.04 patch. There are occasional bugs that will break immersion (like people pulling guns out of their heads during an important death scene), but it's enjoyable already.

• Banned

@Atazhaia said in CDPR gets Cyberpulled:

But yeah, it looks like Sony got tired of the piss-poor performance and CDPR sending all angry fans wanting refund to them.

Wow. Just a couple days ago it was Sony denying refunds that were promised by CDPR! How the turn tables!

@dfdub said in CDPR gets Cyberpulled:

The comparison to Fallout 76 is not entirely fair, though. At least Cyberpunk is playable on one platform iff you have a decent graphics card and there's a good game hiding beneath the bugs.

Ummm no, there isn't. About half the game was cut out, including the alleged 5 hour long prologue (it's being theorized the "timelapse" cutscene after meeting Jackie is made of cut content). The entire fixer thing was supposed to look very different, not just random phone calls you get when roaming the map. They made a big deal out of "verticality" of futuristic city, and I've seen exactly zero of that in my game or any of the let's plays I've seen, beyond accidentally falling off a balcony and dying. I haven't played long enough to know yet, but people on Reddit complained that storylines of some characters don't make sense, presumably because of cut content.

There was supposed to be this entire fashion system where you can wear any number of clothing items of any kind without any limitations, with NPCs changing their attitude depending on what you wear - instead we get the standard body slots and not a single fuck is given in the entire Night City about what you wear. You can literally run naked the whole game and it has zero impact on gameplay. Even Skyrim had it working better than that! You can say I'm nitpicking, but they've made an entire 30 minute video talking in depth about this non-existent system!

And perhaps worst of all, there is no traffic AI at all beyond following a preset path, in a game where you spend hours driving cars! People bring up how GTA3 had it working almost 20 years ago, but honestly, even the original, top-down GTA had it working better than Cyberpunk. And once again, it wouldn't even be as bad if they didn't promise something completely different!

Let that sink in. They've made a video game set in a huge ass city, and they haven't implemented traffic AI.

So no, it's not just about the bugs. I'd even say the bugs are the least important here. They simply lied about the content of the game. Over and over again. It wasn't F76, it was much worse than F76. It's closer to No Man's Sky - you know, that multiplayer space exploration game that turned out to have no multiplayer at all, among other things. The difference is that NMS was done by a small indie studio without any experience in making big games, whereas CDP is a multi-billion dollar company that have already had one hugely successful triple-A RPG game. They should've known better.

• @Gąska said in CDPR gets Cyberpulled:

There was supposed to be this entire fashion system where you can wear any number of clothing items of any kind without any limitations, with NPCs changing their attitude depending on what you wear - instead we get the standard body slots and not a single fuck is given in the entire Night City about what you wear. You can literally run naked the whole game and it has zero impact on gameplay.

THE RULES:
    “1) Style Over Substance.
    2) Attitude is Everything.
    3) Always take it to the Edge.
    4) Break the Rules.”
    —Ripperjack

I don’t know, it seems fitting, somehow :)

• Notification Spam Recipient

Lying about performance on consoles should get some important people fired immediately. I don't feel bad for console owners, I really don't, but this level of deception and blatant lying should be punished hard.

As for cut content, prologue seems a little short, for a CDPR game at least, but it's ok. Fashion system sounds terrible, I'm glad it's not present. I don't know what @Gąska means by 'traffic' - there are areas with a lot of cars, there are areas with little traffic, there's smooth driving and there are jams - so nothing is missing for me (but I don't care about cars, so probably I'm missing something).

My personal experience with the game is great so far. City looks gorgeous, fights are fun, stealth is fun, character development is cool. No gripes so far, other than some insignificant visual glitches.
    We'll see how it goes from here, 20h in is not particularly far.

• Well, I for myself am content with waiting for the big patch (the ones which Witcher 2 and 3 also received) and will see how it goes from there.

They made a big deal out of "verticality" of futuristic city, and I've seen exactly zero of that in my game or any of the let's plays I've seen, beyond accidentally falling off a balcony and dying.

I didn't watch any of the pre-release gameplay videos, but IIRC, they very publicly stated that a feature for climbing walls was cut from the game. So no, they didn't lie about that.

• :belt_onion:

@MrL said in CDPR gets Cyberpulled:

Lying about performance on consoles should get some important people fired immediately. I don't feel bad for console owners

Well, the CEO was among those who publicly lied about it, so...

My personal experience with the game is great so far. City looks gorgeous, fights are fun, stealth is fun, character development is cool. No gripes so far, other than some insignificant visual glitches.
    We'll see how it goes from here, 20h in is not particularly far.

You know what? Same. And I don't even have a "gaming" PC; I have an 11-year-old workstation with an RTX 970 in it. While some stuff has indeed been obviously cut, I'm having fun with it. (About 20h in as well.)

Bad PC-to-console port honestly isn't as uncommon as people are acting like it is; I seem to recall GTA V having the same issues (for God's sake, that game still crashes regularly for me on X-Box). Just wait for the console patch.

I feel like the outcry is louder than usual since something like 80k people pre-ordered... those people are dumb, and now they feel dumb.

@heterodox said in CDPR gets Cyberpulled:

Well, the CEO was among those who publicly lied about it, so...

Absolutely. It seems they are trying to weasel out with "we made a mistake, so sorry, we'll fix it", though.

I feel like the outcry is louder than usual since something like 80k people pre-ordered... those people are dumb, and now they feel dumb.

There was also a flood of one star reviews, written in broken english, copied 30 times each on different portals.
    And then CDP pulled a Taiwanese game from GOG and they stopped appearing. Just saying.

• @MrL said in CDPR gets Cyberpulled:

There was also a flood of one star reviews, written in broken english, copied 30 times each on different portals.

Name one game released in the last 10 years that doesn't have those. 🤷♂

Name one game released in the last 10 years that doesn't have those. 🤷♂

Witcher 3?

• @MrL Praise Geraldo!

Absolutely. It seems they are trying to weasel out with "we made a mistake, so sorry, we'll fix it", though.

Makes me wonder if they hadn't been better off just ditching the last gen consoles officially. Clearly they didn't spend a lot of resources on those towards the end for final polish (to whatever extent there was a final polish).

(Does it run decently on the xbone? I have heard less complaints in that regard, not that I've paid particularly much attention to the console side of things.)

Either way, looking forward to trying it out this evening. Some of the comments here give me reason to at least be cautiously optimistic for the PC version.

@MrL Praise Geraldo!

Whoosh! I don't know what you mean :|

@cvi said in CDPR gets Cyberpulled:

Makes me wonder if they hadn't been better off just ditching the last gen consoles officially.

Or going with 'timed pc exclusive'? I don't know why, but I find this idea hilarious. Maybe it's sleep deprivation. Or alcohol. 🤔

• And then the murders began.

Makes me wonder if they hadn't been better off just ditching the last gen consoles officially.

Not really. The versions out now aren’t bespoke versions for the new console; they’re still the last-gen versions running in backwards compatibility mode. The new consoles simply have the power to brute force their way through the game better than their predecessors. CDPR won’t have time to turn on the compiler flags to release a version targeted at the new consoles until next year, so dropping last gen would have resulted in yet another delay.

It also would have been almost as bad of a reputation issue. The game was announced a year and a half before the last-gen consoles were released. They weren’t a last-minute afterthought, they were the target consoles for the entirety of the game’s development. Dropping support right before release, after retailers have been taking preorders for years, would have been a PR nightmare.

Whoosh! I don't know what you mean :|

It's a reddit meme whenever Witcher 3 is mentioned. Since, you know, the game (used to) get a ridiculous amount of praise.

@Gąska said in CDPR gets Cyberpulled:

Wow. Just a couple days ago it was Sony denying refunds that were promised by CDPR! How the turn tables!

Yeah I'm pretty sure that's the big thing that caused Sony to dump em.

"Hey just go ask these guys for refunds yeah not our problem bro" isn't gonna get you happy reactions from the guys handling your refund....

• @sloosecannon said in CDPR gets Cyberpulled:

Especially since they apparently made that announcement without consulting with Sony first. Dealing with a lot of angry customers that were promised a refund not covered by your usual refund policy must be entertaining.

@sloosecannon said in CDPR gets Cyberpulled:

Especially since they apparently made that announcement without consulting with Sony first. Dealing with a lot of angry customers that were promised a refund not covered by your usual refund policy must be entertaining.

Yeah. Not a great idea to throw the guys whose store you literally rely on under the bus. Good way to lose access to it...

• Java Dev

(Does it run decently on the xbone? I have heard less complaints in that regard, not that I've paid particularly much attention to the console side of things.)

I would assume the less complaints is because of the lower market share mainly. Looking at Metacritic we got ~2.5k Xbox user reviews to ~7.5k for PS4. As the two consoles got nearly identical hardware I would assume they run pretty similar.

Or going with 'timed pc exclusive'? I don't know why, but I find this idea hilarious. Maybe it's sleep deprivation. Or alcohol.

No, that would have been pretty hilarious.

• @Unperverted-Vixen said in CDPR gets Cyberpulled:

Not really. The versions out now aren’t bespoke versions for the new console; they’re still the last-gen versions running in backwards compatibility mode. The new consoles simply have the power to brute force their way through the game better than their predecessors. CDPR won’t have time to turn on the compiler flags to release a version targeted at the new consoles until next year, so dropping last gen would have resulted in yet another delay.

Drop last gen support, just release the "backward compatibility mode", since the new consoles are -as you say- powerful enough to brute force their way through the game. Other than the initial crying about lacking last-gen support, that would have potentially even resulted in some goodwill down the line, with an update with proper next-gen support.

Pre-orders and so on would have been an issue of course. (By the time they started taking pre-orders they probably knew about the new consoles already.)

• Considered Harmful

The article makes it sound like Sony will give you a refund if you ask for one, but Sony's statement sounds like they've pulled the game and are refunding you whether you like it or not.

Do I have a choice in the matter? I was still going to play it. Eventually.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@error said in CDPR gets Cyberpulled:

Do I have a choice in the matter?

Yes, if someone wants the refund they need to submit a request.

• Considered Harmful

latest AC game being utter shit again,

Dodged a bullet by being too :kneeling_warthog: to catch up on the story I'd missed.

• @error said in CDPR gets Cyberpulled:

latest AC game being utter shit again,

Dodged a bullet by being too :kneeling_warthog: to catch up on the story I'd missed.

Well, YMMV. The reason I don't like it is that they're going in the same direction as the previous game (huge, empty world / generic, grind-y RPG / nothing left of the original stealth gameplay in cities) and apparently abusing the overarching story for including fantasy elements again. To me, there's simply nothing left of the original vision of AC.

From what I read, there's some fan service towards the end of the game, but I decided to read the summary of the modern-day story, just in case they start releasing better games again in the future, rather than play through yet another generic Ubigame that lost its soul.

• Considered Harmful

As for cut content, prologue seems a little short, for a CDPR game at least, but it's ok.

Fuck prologues. Let me jump straight into the game.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@error I think prologues are a code-word for tutorial nowadays. :belt_onion:

• Considered Harmful

@Mingan said in CDPR gets Cyberpulled:

@error I think prologues are a code-word for tutorial nowadays. :belt_onion:

Fuck tutorials. Let me jump straight into the game.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

NO! IT'S MANDATORY TUTORIAL TIME! YOU CAN USE THE MOUSE TO LOOK AROUND AND WASD TO MOVE!

• Considered Harmful

@Mingan said in CDPR gets Cyberpulled:

NO! IT'S MANDATORY TUTORIAL TIME! YOU CAN USE THE MOUSE TO LOOK AROUND AND WASD TO MOVE!

Don't recall specifics, but I saw one first-person shooter that told you to "look up" and then decided whether to invert Y axis (yes, of course, always) based on what you pressed.

I thought that was a neat idea. But I fucked up and assumed it worked like every other FPS and pressed up, so I had to change it myself.

• Banned

I don't know what @Gąska means by 'traffic' - there are areas with a lot of cars, there are areas with little traffic, there's smooth driving and there are jams - so nothing is missing for me (but I don't care about cars, so probably I'm missing something).

Hit a car and they just stand there forever. And no driver ever reacts to gunfire.

Also, the game loves to spawn and despawn entities whenever you're not looking. Classic GTA situation - I was riding a motorcycle and was hit by a car and fell off. I went to the car that hit me, forced the driver out, and wanted to execute him for his misbehavior - but in the time between getting into his car and immediately leaving, he was gone. The game does that all the time with everything that's not mission related. There's a nice video somewhere that shows off police spawning right behind you when you're not looking, on a rooftop. Totally breaks immersion.

• Banned

As for cut content, prologue seems a little short, for a CDPR game at least, but it's ok.

The prologue IS the game. Well, not anymore, but you get the point. Imagine Witcher 3 without White Orchard.

Also, the game loves to spawn and despawn entities whenever you're not looking.

Unfortunately, it also does that when you're looking. I think it used to happen more before the 1.04 patch, but I still notice it in crowded areas.

• Considered Harmful

@Gąska said in CDPR gets Cyberpulled:

The prologue IS the game. Well, not anymore, but you get the point. Imagine Witcher 3 without White Orchard.

It's already clear the game they made - even if they'd executed it perfectly - is not the game I wished for.

I want just a sandbox with barely any plot. Fill it with side quests and diversions and let me make my own story.

• Banned

@error yeah, it should be pretty clear even back in 2015 that you're not the target audience for this game.

I want just a sandbox with barely any plot. Fill it with side quests and diversions and let me make my own story.

Honest question: Do you have trouble finding games you like? Because I'm the complete opposite, as I play games mostly for the story, and I'm sick and tired of sandbox games with a few nice gameplay ideas, but barely anything in them to tie it all together. To me, it seems like story-driven single-player games are more rare these days, but maybe I'm mistaken and most games just suck for both types of players.

• Considered Harmful

Honest question: Do you have trouble finding games you like? Because I'm the complete opposite, as I play games mostly for the story, and I'm sick and tired of sandbox games with a few nice gameplay ideas, but barely anything in them to tie it all together. To me, it seems like story-driven single-player games are more rare these days, but maybe I'm mistaken and most games just suck for both types of players.

No, but I'm sick of buying Skyrim and GTA5 over and over.

They deserve their success, but I need a change of scenery at least.

But I fucked up and assumedcorrectly guessed it worked like every other FPS and pressed up, so I had to change it myself.fucked it back up manually

😕

• Considered Harmful

@hungrier said in CDPR gets Cyberpulled:

But I fucked up and assumedcorrectly guessed it worked like every other FPS and pressed up, so I had to change it myself.fucked it back up manually

😕

Down is up and up is down. War is peace, freedom is slavery, and ignorance is strength.

• Considered Harmful

ISTR Xbox had a shared setting you could configure for default controls across multiple games in a genre. Not sure if they kept that feature, but it was a good idea.

• BINNED

@hungrier said in CDPR gets Cyberpulled:

😕

Down is up and up is down. War is peace, freedom is slavery, and ignorance is strength.

So you control your head like the nose of an airplane? That sounds... counter-intuitive.

• @Atazhaia said in CDPR gets Cyberpulled:

lessfewer complaints

🔧

• Considered Harmful

Down is up and up is down.

We'll tie each other to the mast upside down so when the boat flips we'll be the right way up!

9953533b23fa192c1ab3f855fc159b168652dba5_hq.gif

• And then the murders began.

ISTR Xbox had a shared setting you could configure for default controls across multiple games in a genre. Not sure if they kept that feature, but it was a good idea.

Xbox 360 did have some shared control settings (although I don't know if it was as robust as "genre-specific"), but Xbox One dropped that.

• @Mingan Best tutorial ever, at only 93 seconds long:

• @Unperverted-Vixen said in CDPR gets Cyberpulled:

Xbox 360 did have some shared control settings (although I don't know if it was as robust as "genre-specific"), but Xbox One dropped that.

I recall hearing about things like common control setup for racing games and invert/normal axes, but I never really noticed it in practice. Which I guess makes it effective, everything just transparently :doing_it_right:

• Considered Harmful

No, but I'm sick of buying Skyrim and GTA5 over and over.
    They deserve their success, but I need a change of scenery at least.

I think what I really want right now is my favorite games to mashup and become Grand Fallout Skyrim: Deus Ex Souls