Scroll notifications scrolls main view

• It looks like a random bug, or rather I can't determine exactly what triggers it, so I'm curious to see if other people have seen that as well?

Open the notification popup (clicking on the đź”” icon) and scroll with the mouse wheel. When getting to the bottom of the popup (or, the other way, when scrolling back up and getting at the top), keep scrolling.

Sometimes, this causes the main window (whatever thread or list of threads I was looking at) to scroll. Not always, but sometimes. It seems to happen more often when the main window is not at the top/bottom of its viewport, but that's not enough.

Anyway, it's annoying to see the main window scrolling when I don't expect it.

• Can confirm weirdness. I think scrolling the container after you get to the end of a scrollable element is standard in HTML, but I just tried it and got the following:

• standard behaviour: scrolled past the bottom of the notifications, which scrolled the topic list
    • next try: scrolled to the bottom of the notifications, then nothing scrolled
    • weird behaviour: scrolled to the bottom of notifications, then scrolling either down or up scrolled the topic list, when it should have scrolled the notifications up

• @hungrier said in Scroll notifications scrolls main view:

I think scrolling the container after you get to the end of a scrollable element is standard in HTML

I have no idea whether that's the case and I wouldn't really complain if it was so. The annoying thing is, as you report, that it's not always the case one way or the other.

Thanks for confirming though.

• đźš˝ Regular

@remi said in Scroll notifications scrolls main view:

It looks like a random bug, or rather I can't determine exactly what triggers it, so I'm curious to see if other people have seen that as well?

All the time.

Also, apropos:

• For me (Safari on a Mac), the notification list scrolls as expected when the mouse pointer is over it. When the list reaches the bottom or top, it stops scrolling (duh) and the main window doesn’t scroll as a “continuation” of the scrolling list. If I then scroll in the same direction (without moving the mouse pointer off the list), though, the main window scrolls.

• @remi I've noticed it seems to scroll the main window (sometimes) if I scroll immediately after opening the popup. If I move the pointer out of and back into the popup, it scrolls normally. Usually, it behaves as expected (scrolls the popup), but occasionally it scrolls the main window, and pointer song-and-dance in necessary.

• Since everyone is seeing some variation of it I tried a bit more (peer pressure kills the warthog).

I managed to reproduce it systematically with this one weird trick a mum of 3 doesn't want you to know:

Open the notifications popup, scroll it down or up to the end/start, then close it. Now reopen the popup and scroll again in the direction where it cannot go any further (i.e. scroll up if the popup is already at the top of the list, down if it's at the end). This scrolls the main window every time.

So my wild guess is that, at least for this specific case (there may be other cases that trigger the bug), the scroll event is not caught by the popup because it cannot be applied (the popup cannot scroll any further) and thus the event is passed to the parent window. If the popup can scroll however, it catches the event (and scrolls) and when scrolling past the end the popup still keeps catching all events and not passing them to the parent.

I have no idea whether the expected behaviour is to pass events that can't be applied to the popup or to eat them, and I don't know why the first event is handled differently than the further ones (maybe an event handler that is only installed if the event can be applied to the popup?), trying to understand that would mean getting some JS on me (eww!).