The Independent Investor

• https://go.theindependentinvestor.com/yt-n-jcf-man-on-the-street-bridge/

e5dac9d0-fd17-4368-ba1e-26109588397d-image.png

I wish I could link to this guy's video. Not sure if any of you guys got his ad on YouTube, but he sounds like even more of a snake oil salesman than Trump. He says he has this one financial trick where he just types in a ticker and some stuff into his phone and magically generates money.

Any idea WTF he's talking about? Is it a complete scam?

Some more screen shots from the video:

af520aa9-2609-4546-9900-888ce0eef933-image.png

• @dangeRuss If you "just type in a ticker and automatically generate money" it's most likely about selling options. This does :technically-correct: give you money instantly, but there are some heavy strings attached, since the money you're given is for being on the side of a binding contract with the most to lose if the market goes wrong.

• @dangeRuss

7db9cb50-42d2-458b-bbe9-6d3cd0bb2049-image.png

Who's that? I know Jarl Elisif, Jarl Idgrod, Jarl Balgruuf, Ulfric Stormcloak, and so on, but I don't know any Jarl M. (Apparently Maven Black-Briar would become Jarl of The Rift if the Imperials were to win the civil war, but I'm avoiding taking sides, so neither side will ever win.)

• @HardwareGeek said in The Independent Investor:

(Apparently Maven Black-Briar would become Jarl of The Rift if the Imperials were to win the civil war, but I'm avoiding taking sides, so neither side will ever win.)

Ah, so you're one of those "I'm on the side of Whiterun" fence-sitters, eh?

• :belt_onion:

@Mason_Wheeler said in The Independent Investor:

@dangeRuss If you "just type in a ticker and automatically generate money" it's most likely about selling options. This does :technically-correct: give you money instantly, but there are some heavy strings attached, since the money you're given is for being on the side of a binding contract with the most to lose if the market goes wrong.

Yoooou're right!

This is a full breakdown of how to use options to generate income with my “Leave Your Wallet At Home” technique, and how to play them to amplify your stock returns with my “Gain Amplifier” strategy.

• @Groaner said in The Independent Investor:

@HardwareGeek said in The Independent Investor:

(Apparently Maven Black-Briar would become Jarl of The Rift if the Imperials were to win the civil war, but I'm avoiding taking sides, so neither side will ever win.)

I dislike both of them. Nords in general, and even more so the Stormcloaks, are racists. And I'm not a fan of empires built by military conquest. My character is a High Elf, so you might think she'd align with the Thalmor, but they engage in religious persecution; plus, they're trying to assassinate her. (Also, that isn't an option in the game.) So it's rather one of those "Can they all lose?" situations.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@Groaner said in The Independent Investor:

I dislike both of them. Nords in general, and even more so the Stormcloaks, are racists. And I'm not a fan of empires built by military conquest. My character is a High Elf, so you might think she'd align with the Thalmor, but they engage in religious persecution; plus, they're trying to assassinate her. (Also, that isn't an option in the game.) So it's rather one of those "Can they all lose?" situations.

I just wondered how the Thalmor got anything done since obviously a large part of their budget goes towards lessons on being assholes.

• Banned

This post is deleted!

• @HardwareGeek said in The Independent Investor:

Not only do the Thalmor engage in religious persecution, they're also literally a death-cult seeking to destroy the entire world. My personal headcanon is that, once the Alduin crisis was resolved and the Dragonborn had nothing better to do, all of a sudden there was an absurdly powerful adventurer loose in the Empire with tons of time on their hands and a long track record of wiping out entire bands of heavily armed bad guys single-handedly. Within a month, the Thalmor had been hunted to extinction.

• Banned

And I'm not a fan of empires built by military conquest.

🇺🇸 🚎

• Banned

@mikehurley said in The Independent Investor:

I just wondered how the Thalmor got anything done since obviously a large part of their budget goes towards lessons on being assholes.

I wonder the same thing about most political parties.

• BINNED

This is some legendary topic drift. I love it.

• @kazitor Meh, I've seen them go off the rails by the second post. This one was on-topic until the third, and didn't get completely lost until the sixth.

• At the risk of re-railing the thread, I'm just going to say this:

Anyone who is trying to get you to use their Great Investing Technique just wants your money, and doesn't care if you make any money yourself. If it was really that great, they'd make more money using that technique than spamming out offers to sell their technique to you. (And yes, plenty of mutual funds and hedge funds actually do Quite Well For Themselves, but picking winners from funds is just as much of a black art as running the funds, and I doubt you're an expert at picking funds.)

In particular, testimonials are one of the biggest signs of snake oil. Even with genuine medical quackery, you'll always find someone who gets genuine health improvements out of that snake oil (whether through wild coincidence or placebo effect), so anyone can get testimonials. Or, if they're really that desperate, make up their own.

Also consider that Jarl's investment size isn't mentioned. Perhaps I'm wrong, and this firm really can Make You 3% Per Year, which ain't exactly worth writing home about. So it's all just flim-flammery, and it'll work perfectly up until it doesn't.

(Personally, my money's in index funds. I'm not going to make scads of money, but in the long run, I should do fine, and I have hardly any risk at all of losing my money.)

• @PotatoEngineer said in The Independent Investor:

At the risk of re-railing the thread

:doing_it_wrong:

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@PotatoEngineer said in The Independent Investor:

(Personally, my money's in index funds. I'm not going to make scads of money, but in the long run, I should do fine, and I have hardly any risk at all of losing my money.)

There are two good things about index funds:

1. The risk is lower. Even if they lose (because the indices drop due to issues with the economy) they probably won't lose everything. The flip side of this is that you're also less likely to make a big profit. Can't really get one without the other, or if you could, everyone would do it.
    2. The fees are lower than most other investment strategies. This is good.

• BINNED

@kazitor said in The Independent Investor:

This is some legendary topic drift. I love it.

cf4c175b-c15e-40a0-9e66-27b29eeeef17-grafik.png

• @topspin that's not rare, that's bleu. :technically-correct: