CUPS / printing problem

• So, in our chemistry lab we have a laser printer which we'd like to use remotely. Sadly, while it does have a network port, its location makes spanning a network cable a bit of a hassle.

In a first attempt to get this to work remotely instead of having to lug over a Surface and attach the USB cable to it, I attached a RaspberryPi Model 3 to it, installed CUPS, got the proper Linux driver from Oki (it's an Oki C332) and now I could simply point every Surface to the Pi and everything was fine and dandy.

Save for the printers habit of printing the printing commands for stuff instead of the actual stuff on the first try after power save. If you cancelled printing the garbage and then re-submitted the same printing task it would work fine.

That's obviously not acceptable behaviour.

The way I see it, we now have two solutions:
    a) I could use the Pi as a "reverse" Access Point instead and thus couple the printer's network card to our existing network or
    b) find out what's causing this in CUPS

Anyone here run into behaviour like this before? Because my Google-Fu is not strong enough to find the proper keywords...

• Notification Spam Recipient

@Rhywden said in CUPS / printing problem:

Anyone here run into behaviour like this before?

Sorry, I don't use CUPS, but I can vouch for the usage of the pi as a wifi client bridge.