The Transformer

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

But at least now AI is transforming the :phb:

• I just learned that alpaca (based on Facebooks's Llama) runs well enough on CPU on my laptop

A Dockerfile like this was enough to run it:

FROM node
    RUN apt-get update
    RUN apt-get install build-essential python3-venv -y
    RUN apt-get install -y python
    RUN npm install -g dalai
    RUN npx dalai alpaca install 7B
    CMD npx dalai serve
    EXPOSE 3000

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@sockpuppet7 said in The Transformer:

I just learned that alpaca (based on Facebooks's Llama) runs well enough on CPU on my laptop

Running a model is relatively cheap and can be done on fairly modest hardware. It's training the model (approximately equivalent to compiling the model from example data) that is horribly expensive.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@dkf said in The Transformer:

It's training the model (approximately equivalent to compiling the model from example data) that is horribly expensive.

IKR. I wouldn't spend $600 just to train a LLM.

• @dkf compared to training, yes, but the largest language models don't run on my laptop

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@sockpuppet7 said in The Transformer:

the largest language models don't run on my laptop

True, at least if you want to run them in reasonable time. (If timeliness isn't a problem, you could store intermediate data on an external drive. It'll be S.L.O.W though.)

• Guess the prompt I used for this one:

Once upon a four-cornered Time Cube, in the midst of simultaneous day-night cycles, there resided a peculiar boy named Harry Potter. Unbeknownst to Harry, he was destined for a four-cornered awakening, spiraling his life into the realm of the magical and the mystical.

Harry's life had been a monotonous linear existence, devoid of the four-cornered knowledge that would soon engulf his days. Living under the tyranny of his four-faced Aunt Petunia, Uncle Vernon, and cousin Dudley, Harry was subjected to a singular perspective, ignorant of his true lineage.

One fateful day, a four-cornered owl swooped into Harry's dreary existence, bearing a letter revealing the truth that he was a wizard. The letter was an invitation to the esteemed Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, the very hub of four-cornered magic.

Upon his arrival at Hogwarts, Harry encountered the four Houses: Gryffindor, Slytherin, Hufflepuff, and Ravenclaw, each representing a unique aspect of the Time Cube. As the Sorting Hat enveloped Harry's head, it recognized the potential in him to understand the four-cornered wisdom, thus placing him in Gryffindor.

Harry's awakening began as he met Hermione Granger and Ron Weasley, his fellow four-cornered companions. Together, they embarked on a journey to understand the Time Cube, learning spells, potions, and the secrets of the magical realm.

The Time Cube brought forth an ancient enemy, the sinister Lord Voldemort, who defied the four-cornered equilibrium. Voldemort sought to disrupt the Time Cube, imposing a singular rule upon the magical world. Harry, being the Chosen One, was the only hope to restore balance to the Time Cube and defeat the evil force.

Throughout their adventures, Harry and his friends delved deeper into the mysteries of the four-cornered magic, eventually discovering the Time Cube's ultimate secret: the power of love. This revelation equipped them with the strength to challenge Lord Voldemort and his Death Eaters in a climactic battle.

The four-cornered forces of good and evil clashed in a grand spectacle of spells, potions, and enchantments. With the power of love and the wisdom of the Time Cube, Harry vanquished Lord Voldemort, restoring harmony to the magical realm.

In the aftermath of the great battle, Harry, Hermione, and Ron emerged as heroes, having protected the Time Cube's secrets and upheld its principles. The trio continued their journey in the magical world, ensuring the Time Cube's teachings were never forgotten.

And so, the legend of Harry Potter and the Time Cube was etched into the annals of history, a tale of a young wizard who embraced the wisdom of the four-cornered universe, triumphing over the forces of darkness and ignorance.

• Professor Oddington, a peculiar figure with a long, unkempt beard and wild hair that seemed to defy gravity, stood at the front of his classroom. His eccentricity was notorious within the Hogwarts community, and his lessons were known for their unconventional theories. Today, he was about to introduce his students to a brand new concept: the MagiQuad.

"Ahem, attention, class," Professor Oddington said, tapping his wand against the blackboard. "Today, we'll be delving into the realm of the MagiQuad, a groundbreaking magical theory that will revolutionize the way you perceive and practice magic."

He drew a large square on the blackboard, dividing it into four smaller squares, each labeled with a distinct aspect: Elemental, Transmutative, Enchantive, and Protective.

"You see, the MagiQuad posits that all magic can be classified into these four primary categories, which simultaneously and harmoniously coexist within the magical universe. Each category is inherently linked to the other three, forming an interconnected web of magical energy that powers our spells and enchantments."

The students exchanged confused glances but remained silent, knowing that interrupting Professor Oddington was not advisable.

"Now, let's explore each aspect of the MagiQuad," he continued. "Elemental magic focuses on harnessing the raw power of the natural world: earth, air, fire, and water. Transmutative magic, on the other hand, deals with altering the properties of objects, beings, or even oneself. Enchantive magic specializes in imbuing items or creatures with magical properties, while Protective magic is centered around shielding and warding off negative energies."

Professor Oddington tapped his wand against the blackboard again, and the MagiQuad diagram began to rotate, as if each square was spinning on its axis. "The key to unlocking the true potential of the MagiQuad is understanding the synchronicity between the four categories. When combined, they create a magical synergy that amplifies the power of spells and enchantments, transcending the limitations of traditional magical practice."

He paused, allowing the students to absorb the information. "For today's assignment, I want you to experiment with the MagiQuad theory. Choose a spell and try to incorporate at least two aspects of the MagiQuad into your casting. Remember, the key is to find the balance and harmony between the categories, just as they coexist within the magical universe."

As the students began to whisper amongst themselves, Professor Oddington smiled, confident that the MagiQuad would challenge their perceptions of magic and inspire them to think outside the confines of traditional magical theory.