Laleh Shahravesh: There's something we're not being told here...

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

A British mum could be jailed in Dubai after she called her ex-husband's new wife a horse on Facebook three years ago.

Laleh Sharavesh and her 14-year-old daughter Paris were both arrested at the airport when they arrived in the United Arab Emirates city last month.

Ms Sharavesh was visiting Dubai to pay respects to her former husband, the father of her child, after he had just died of a heart attack, according to a human rights group that is representing the mother.

The 55-year-old has been accused of breaking a cybercrime law back in 2016, the Detained In Dubai group said in a statement released on Sunday.

If found guilty she could face two years in prison and a £50,000 fine.

She was arrested over the two Facebook comments which were made in 2016 after her ex-husband Pedro re-married, campaign group Detained in Dubai claims.

Ms Shahravesh had been in Britain when she posted the comments, but her ex-husband, who died of a heart attack on 3 March, and his new wife were living in Dubai.

In Dubai, cybercrime laws mean an old social media post made by a person before they visit the country could still see them fined or jailed for years.

Ms Shahravesh was married to Portuguese husband Pedro Manuel Coreia Dos Santos for 18 years, and they had daughter Paris together.

They had lived in Dubai for eight months where he worked for HSBC, before she returned to London in 2016 with their daughter.

Ms Shahravesh’s husband was reportedly due to join them in the UK once his work commitments were resolved, however she instead received divorce papers a few months later.

A few months later, the mother is said to have opened Facebook and discovered photos of her ex-husband’s wedding to a 42-year-old Tunisian woman.

She lashed out, writing two comments in Farsi, which said: “I hope you go under the ground you idiot. Damn you. You left me for this horse,” and “you married a horse you idiot”.

• Banned

@PJH on the right.

.. and here we go...

Samah Al Hammadi, 42, claimed to have suffered a campaign of harassment by Laleh Shahravesh, who was arrested with her 14-year-old daughter Paris when they arrived in the United Arab Emirates for his funeral last month.

Ms Hammadi, from Tunisia, said today she decided to make the formal complaint after “suffering in silence” for over a year. She claimed Ms Shahravesh had sent numerous disparaging messages and emails about them since the divorce in 2016 — even to Mr Santos’s boss at HSBC.

She told the Standard: “She has been abusing him, sending emails, even to his boss in the bank, saying I am a b****, that I took him from her, that she doesn’t have money. He sent emails asking her to stop. It did not stop.”

She also defended Dubai’s cyber crime laws, which have been criticised by campaigners as being “unreasonable”. “It is a crime in Dubai. It is right. I don’t feel sorry. She made him [Mr Santos] suffer in the last year of his life. Let the law take part.”

• Java Dev

Dubai tries, and too often succeeds, to depict itself as a western country. It is not. It is a strict Islamic country, with very different values than we're used to.

@PleegWat said in Laleh Shahravesh: There's something we're not being told here...:

Dubai tries, and too often succeeds, to depict itself as a western country.

Maybe it's something that works the other way? It seems our MP's are getting a trifle bored of this Brexit bollocks and are in dire need of distraction. I think Ms. Sharavesh is getting more lenient treatment where she is than if she were at home for example...

These are from today:

• BINNED

@PJH Are you implying that under these UK laws she'd go to jail for that? Because it sounds like they'd only make Facebook take her comments down, which is far from the same thing.
    (That's what the oneboxes say. :kneeling_warthog: and that...)

@topspin said in Laleh Shahravesh: There's something we're not being told here...:

@PJH Are you implying that under these UK laws she'd go to jail for that?

Not yet. They're working on it though.