New TV....

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

Because of the local butcher, @NeighborhoodButcher I'm afraid of Samsung TVs, but then again, I have no idea what the rest of the TVs use for their OS. I recall one uses some android variant, so that should be one to stay away from just because it will be running a version no longer supported by the time I get it or within a couple of weeks...

Any suggestions? Is HDR just hype, or does it help with contrast and dark scenes (like the entirety of The Punisher Netflix series).

Should this be jeffed to the lounge?

• @CHUDbert said in New TV....:

I recall one uses some android variant, so that should be one to stay away from just because it will be running a version no longer supported by the time I get it or within a couple of weeks...

With any Smart-TV, the solution is to never connect it to the network 🧘♂

• @CHUDbert said in New TV....:

I have no idea what the rest of the TVs use for their OS. I recall one uses some android variant, so that should be one to stay away from just because it will be running a version no longer supported by the time I get it or within a couple of weeks...

Sony uses Android, I can say from experience, but I have no idea how much support it gets from the manufacturer because from the moment I’ve owned it, I have kept the TV well disconnected from the Internet. Sony TVs are good in this regard because they will still work fine — minus, of course, anything that requires Internet access — whereas (apparently), some smart TVs complain and/or don’t function well at all if they’re offline.

• @Gurth said in New TV....:

some smart TVs complain and/or don’t function well at all if they’re offline.

And those should be returned to the store because they're broken

• @CHUDbert I like my Roku. Plasma screens have the best contrast (or did last time I looked into it).

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@CHUDbert said in New TV....:

Any suggestions?

I have an LG 4K HDR Smart TV which runs WebOS and it's fine. App support is good and there's plenty of features that might be useful to other people. It's a significant improvement over my Samsung Smart TV but it's also 4 years newer so it's not a direct comparison.
    Both are connected to the network/Internet as I use the Plex, Netflix and Prime Video apps on both and casting video directly is handy.

If I need to buy another one, it'll be an LG again.