Git

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@Steve_The_Cynic said in Git:

Perforce branches are in pathname-space rather than version-number space.

OK, that's like SVN.

it prefers exclusive-checkout for actual editing

I remember the problems that that creates from back when I used to work with RCS (over NFS). Especially when you can't edit a critical file for several weeks because someone has it locked and has gone away to a conference followed by their summer vacation. 🍊

• @dkf said in Git:

Perforce branches are in pathname-space rather than version-number space.

OK, that's like SVN.

I remember the problems that that creates from back when I used to work with RCS (over NFS). Especially when you can't edit a critical file for several weeks because someone has it locked and has gone away to a conference followed by their summer vacation. 🍊

Most of the "vacation-lock" problems with exclusive checkouts are also "working on the wrong branch" problems.

• @Steve_The_Cynic said in Git:

@dkf said in Git:

Most of the "vacation-lock" problems with exclusive checkouts are also "working on the wrong branch" problems.

Yup. In the dev team where I used Perforce, locks like that would have lasted about a day before someone would have booted them off everything outside of their personal branches.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@Parody said in Git:

Yup. In the dev team where I used Perforce, locks like that would have lasted about a day before someone would have booted them off everything outside of their personal branches.

That's what I'd do now. Back then, I was a greenhorn and anyway, hardly anyone knew what good branching practices really were.

• @DCoder said in Git:

@HardwareGeek said in Git:

Some of our individual commits are bigger than [5 GB].

I am … disturbed, yet curious.

The largest commits I've had to deal with were in a project where an idiot "developer" put all the content images in a 140 MB .zip file and committed that, then rebuilt the .zip with each commit when content images changed. But that was PEBCAK, I'm assuming you had a legitimate case?

E_NOT_ENOUGH_GAU8

Seriously, why did nobody remonstrate with this person? You know, with heavy weapons? I'm guessing that "content images" means" JPEG or other already-compressed formats that aren't well-suited to compression, especially in ZIP files.

• @levicki said in Git:

@jinpa said in Git:

@Gribnit said in Git:

@jinpa On a possibly more productive note, what did you do to get Git to do this to you?

I tried to solve a problem I was having with Git.

What problem was that? What exactly you typed before you got into that mess?

git pull --rebase

• Considered Harmful

@jinpa had you already pushed the branch anywhere?