Connecting Office365 to a local LDAP server

• I just want to see how much of a headache I'm willing to inflict upon me here. Currently we have the situation that our pupils (yes, all 1700 of them) have the right to get a free 365 account as long as they're pupils at our school.

However, we currently have three different account systems in play and I really want to reduce that to one. Ideally with SSO!

Our local network which uses LDAP for accounts and gets its data directly from the school district's management system. A messenger system to replace WhatsApp and which I hope we can get rid of sometime soon - but that's another story. And Office365 which gets its accounts from AzureAD and where we currently create each and every account manually (which also means manual deletions and updates).

Since the latter one has a limited number of licenses (enough for all pupils but not enough to allow former pupils to keep the accounts), it has become a bit annoying to type in all that stuff.

Plus, the usual "What in the world is that supposed to spell?" and "Does this guy understand what 'please write legible!' means?"

Long story short, I'm looking for some way to at least do a one-way sync from our LDAP to Azure AD.

From what I've already read, there are roughly two ways you could do that:
    a) Using the Azure AD connector and try to wire the LDAP directly to Azure AD or
    b) import the LDAP accounts into a local AD and then sync that to Azure.

We do have Windows Server licenses so at least that part shouldn't be a problem.

Anyone else have an idea of what nightmare I'm willing to inflict on myself here?