Some old random comics

• When I was young, I vaguely remember reading a comics in the library of a summer camp, and I'm trying to remember what it was and whether it was any good (I have good memories of it, but that doesn't mean much...). It was in French but it was drawn/cut into episodes like your typical American comics and at that time there were about zero French comics of that style, so I'm fairly confident it must have been a translation? I read it about mid-eighties, so given the library definitely didn't have brand new copies (I had to dig around to find other issues, some were torn up as you might expect in a summer camp...), the original was probably published in the 70's/80's?

The story was about some kind of prison world (underground complex?) where prisoners were doing some sort of forced labour (mining or factory-type). The key element that I remember is that they were all referred to by Greek letters (maybe combined with numbers?) so one prisoner was Gamma, another was Alpha and so on. They were all dressed the same, with shaved heads and a standard greyish uniform (like any stereotypical depiction of a prison camp!). They didn't really knew who they were or why they were here, there was definitely some kind of amnesia going on, so there was the usual progressive discovery of the back-story as the comics went on. At one point, as you might expect, prisoners rebelled and a group took control, or maybe escaped. And that's about all I remember, not much to go on...

When describing it, it does sound a bit like The Prisoner (at least a comics version of it), but I'm pretty sure this wasn't it, the setting was definitely somewhat futuristic/post-apocalyptic and I'm pretty sure people were referred to by letters, not numbers and so on.

• Maybe this:

He spends time in a prison. However, it's closer to a James Bond/Borne-style story than a "escape from prison" story.

There was also a video game made based on the comic series, but I can't say I've played it.

• @blakeyrat Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm sure this isn't it. The main reason is that I know XIII quite well, so I would remember if that was it.

But also, XIII is more along the standard European comics format, i.e. albums of 40 pages or so, in A4 format or so, and the one I remember was more like 10-20 pages of a smaller format (like A5 or half letter) (although I have no idea of the physical format in which XIII was published in English...). The drawing style is also closer to typical European comics than to American ones, and the one I remember definitely had a different style.

Also also, the story I remember had a strong sci-fi/post-apocalyptic look, with metal everywhere, some kind of video surveillance, maybe even laser guns (not sure...). And very few links to any real world setting, contrary to XIII.