Windows Server 2012 process IO priority

• My stupid IT company decided to schedule the endpoint security process to run on an important virtual machine this morning. It's slurping up all the IO available to the virtual machine and crowding out programs we need to run.

How do I turn down the IO priority for the stupid endpoint security, so that the show can go on?

• @captain Can you install software onto it or is it too clobbered right now?

I found this StackOverflow thread which mentions at least three products that can change IO priority:

If your machine's too clobbered to install any of them, it becomes a tougher problem since the API call to do it doesn't appear to be exposed to PowerShell or WSH.

EDIT: looks like this code sample makes it work in PowerShell:

But note that the actual code in the link is an exploit/prank. Don't just run it. But it includes the definition needed to pinvoke it.

• @blakeyrat said in Windows Server 2012 process IO priority:

If your machine's too clobbered to install any of them, it becomes a tougher problem since the API call to do it doesn't appear to be exposed to PowerShell or WSH.

It's pretty clobbered, but I can try. Even resmon.exe is "not responding".

• Was unable to install the software. Reported incident to stupid IT company. They still haven't responded. Restarted server due to unresponsive application. Everything is hunky dory. Installing software now.