It's not quite keylogging I guess

• @steve_the_cynic said in It's not quite keylogging I guess:

@jaloopa said in It's not quite keylogging I guess:

@steve_the_cynic said in It's not quite keylogging I guess:

@hungrier said in It's not quite keylogging I guess:

I live in Ch'ti country

You already said it was France, it's implied how Ch'ti it is.

No, not at all. The evidence of Bienvenue chez les Ch'tis (an elaborate French ethnic joke, in the form of a feature-length film) suggests strongly that a lot of people in other parts of France would be mystified or even offended if you accused them of being even slightly Ch'ti. It's sort of like saying that all Americans are rednecks or hicks from rural Iowa(1). Or equating "British" with "wurzel from Somerset".

Ch'ti country is a diffusely-defined area in the extreme north of France, and it isn't exactly rural hicks - the area has been fairly heavily industrialised(2), and Lille, squarely in the middle of the area, is one of the largest cities in France, fourth or fifth in that particular challenge. But it has a characteristic accent, dialect, and cuisine. (Shared to a certain extent with a neighbouring swearified(3) buffer state.)

(1) When my late wife was in the US Air Force, one of her fellow airmen was, indeed, a hick from rural Iowa (might have been Idaho or one of the other rural Northern Tier states). He had a deeply scary blind trust of authority.

(2) Not so much any more - the area suffered heavily following the flight of the textile industry from Europe to various sweatshop countries in parts of Asia, and again as the coal-mining industry ran into issues.

(3) Notoriously, of course, by Douglas Adams.

:whoosh:

What does Ch'ti look like it would be pronounced as, assuming on knowledge of French?

shtee?

Good start, but "sht" isn't a consonant combination that commonly occurs in a single syllable in an Anglophone's experience, so try adding a vowel between the h and the t.

• @hardwaregeek said in It's not quite keylogging I guess:

@jaloopa said in It's not quite keylogging I guess:

@hungrier said in It's not quite keylogging I guess:

I live in Ch'ti country

You already said it was France, it's implied how Ch'ti it is.

No, not at all. The evidence of Bienvenue chez les Ch'tis (an elaborate French ethnic joke, in the form of a feature-length film) suggests strongly that a lot of people in other parts of France would be mystified or even offended if you accused them of being even slightly Ch'ti. It's sort of like saying that all Americans are rednecks or hicks from rural Iowa(1). Or equating "British" with "wurzel from Somerset".

Ch'ti country is a diffusely-defined area in the extreme north of France, and it isn't exactly rural hicks - the area has been fairly heavily industrialised(2), and Lille, squarely in the middle of the area, is one of the largest cities in France, fourth or fifth in that particular challenge. But it has a characteristic accent, dialect, and cuisine. (Shared to a certain extent with a neighbouring swearified(3) buffer state.)

(1) When my late wife was in the US Air Force, one of her fellow airmen was, indeed, a hick from rural Iowa (might have been Idaho or one of the other rural Northern Tier states). He had a deeply scary blind trust of authority.

(2) Not so much any more - the area suffered heavily following the flight of the textile industry from Europe to various sweatshop countries in parts of Asia, and again as the coal-mining industry ran into issues.

(3) Notoriously, of course, by Douglas Adams.

:whoosh:

What does Ch'ti look like it would be pronounced as, assuming on knowledge of French?

shtee?

Good start, but "sht" isn't a consonant combination that commonly occurs in a single syllable in an Anglophone's experience, so try adding a vowel between the h and the t.

Oh, I'm quite aware of where you're trying to go, but no, that sort of blatant xenophobia doesn't play. (I live in France, so I know the French are like. Sorry.)

• @steve_the_cynic I wasn't the one trying to go there; @hungrier started it!

• @zecc said in It's not quite keylogging I guess:

0_1510907740518_uhm.png

The screenshot of Chrome’s network inspector

• @the_quiet_one said in It's not quite keylogging I guess:

In the end, they're trying to squeeze every last click out of their customers to ensure there are minimal abandoned carts.

Sounds like it could be a partially good thing. I'm amazed by the number of websites that actively drive me away when I'm ready to make a purchase by buggy websites, asking for unnecessary personal info, trying to push the user into lying, etc.