When you get an IM like this...

• I was out for a few minutes and came back to find the following series of IMs from what I'd consider a mid-level, but he's made some similarly bizarre design choices:

"Hey, quick question: Can you help me figure out a way to use a SQL table to store binary instances of objects for swap space rather than the usual OS virtual memory?"

...5 minutes later...

"nvm figured it out."

It's at this point I went to his desk to figure out wtf he was doing... His reasoning was equally bizarre: "I want it to be easy to debug." I convinced him to do things the normal way, and continued on with my day. I didn't even want to look at his implementation.

EDIT: And it turns out this guy was spending the past two days on this, and now he has to just undo what he did so far.

• @The_Quiet_One I hope he used a nosql database, in case of a memory intensive program.

• @groo no, it was a sql server db. On production it is on another machine so his odd solution would have managed to store runtime objects over LAN. I can't even.

Thankfully after I explained how horrible an idea this was he saw the light.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@The_Quiet_One said in When you get an IM like this...:

“Can you help me figure out a way to use a SQL table to store binary instances of objects…

Relatively simple…

…for swap space rather than the usual OS virtual memory?”

WAT

• @dkf said in When you get an IM like this...:

WAT

He made a steam engine but it wasn't the frist steam engine

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.