How to business properly

• Sad to say that this did make me go :wtf: - I've just become so inured to being lied to by vendors and their spin doctors that straight-up reportage of the decisions leading to an outage, lessons learned and corrective action planned has become noteworthy:

My only relationship with Fastmail is as a very happy customer.

• For some reason, there's no better marketing than a company fessing up to their screwup and describing how they are attempting to improve themselves. Stories of outright success don't come anywhere close.

• @cartman82 said:

For some reason, there's no better marketing than a company fessing up to their screwup and describing how they are attempting to improve themselves. Stories of outright success don't come anywhere close.

This is a well-known psychological effect. Nobody likes a flawless all-capable hero (what's he hiding?), but flawed heroes are cool. JFK's popularity went up when he was revealed to have "everyday" flaws (being a womaniser is a human-scale flaw), because he had previously seemed like a flawless golden boy.

Fastmail have shown humility in standing up and admitting their flaws, and they have shown themselves to be willing to do something about it. Of course that's better marketing than "Look how freaking great we are, and all the things we do well!"

• Good companies have been making their retrospectives public for some time.

Generally speaking, bad companies usually don't even do retrospectives or ever learn from past mistakes.

• Quite so. My point is that I have become so used to having to deal with bad companies that finding myself to be a good one's customer was a genuine :wtf: moment for me, that I have no reason to consider my own experience unusual in this regard, and that this state of affairs is sad.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

“It wasn't a mistake! The customers were just holding it wrong! They shouldn't be wanting things that we find inconvenient to provide!”

I hate that attitude and see it far too often…