Nevermind the bollocks, here's another religion topic

• @ben_lubar said:

terrain, including wooden walls built by dwarves.

So... the creators of this stupid game don't know what the word "terrain" means. Gotcha.

They're a little fuzzy on the difference between "build" and "place", too. Ben L, why you worship these clowns?

• @blakeyrat said:

why you worship these clowns

You're thinking of goblin dark fortresses. Dwarves don't usually associate with clowns.

• @ben_lubar said:

@blakeyrat said:
    why you worship these clowns

You're thinking of goblin dark fortressesGnome mountain. Dwarves don't usually associate with clowns.

At least that's what Dragonlance told me :)

• Dupa

@abarker said:

Our great grandchildren might

Well, what about the lousy ones?

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@Rhywden said:

low-to medium level radioactive waste

Low-level waste is stuff like the gloves you wear when picking up a radioactive source in a lab. It's radioactivity is going to be hardly above background levels. You can almost get away with just throwing it in standard landfill.

High-level waste (not what you're talking about) is stuff like spent fuel rods. It's also usually self-defending and is actually possible to contemplate doing reprocessing with.

Medium-level waste is the tricky stuff IIRC. It's often chemically toxic (and otherwise “interesting”) as well as having quite a bit of radioactivity. This class also includes things like reinforced concrete from reaction vessels, so there's a lot of it.

@Rhywden said:

Only that the fuckers didn't do any kind of legible bookkeeping so no one knows exactly what is down there (due to the non-existing checks they could have smuggled in spent rods from wherever), the salt mine is not dry and actually leaking (no one knows where the water is coming from and where it's going) and the kicker was their chosen disposal method:

Create a huge cavern with a hole in the ceiling and them simply dump everything down this hole. Cover with salt afterwards.

Idiots. Fuck knows what they've got in there.

• @dkf said:

Indeed. That (and the discovered instability) is the reason why they now have to get that waste back out again.

Which of course is made really easy due to their chosen disposal method.

• I dunno. I'm a big fan of the "chuck things in a hole" method.

• Considered Harmful

@dkf said:

And that's in one of the places where they're supposedly a little more careful with that stuff than elsewhere. The US is still sitting on millions of cubic meters of extremely dangerous waste particularly from the arms industry; the Russians did $DEITY knows what with theirs, probably dumped it in someone's back yard in old vodka bottles; the Brits came up with the ingenious solution of just renaming the Place Formerly Known As Windscale when it had become synonymous for nuclear fuckup … I really don't get how people think it would be a good idea to expand this system by a factor of several dozen in places like China, Africa or the Middle East that are not exactly known for stringent security regarding anything at all. Quite apart from the fact that without reprocessing, the available U235 would be gone in a decade or so, while with reprocessing (that even the ones who've been doing it for decades never really got done in a safe way) it's even more of a paradise for every crackpot trying to get their hands on stuff to blow up the neighbors.

• :belt_onion:

@LaoC said:

Russians did $DEITY knows what with theirs

They mostly use it to sweeten the tea of the former KGB employees.

@LaoC said:

dumped it in someone's back yard in old vodka bottles

Very unlikely, you haven't heard any news about mutants roaming streets of Russia, have you? And you can be sure they'd consume the content of vodka bottles immediately.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

You're mistaking high-level waste for medium-level waste.

High-level waste is really nasty. The best way to deal with it (if you're not reprocessing) is almost certainly to put it in a high neutron flux to make it decompose faster. Unfortunately, storing the stuff for long periods leads to a build-up of some really exotic compounds; it's not just radiologically nasty, it's also chemically nasty. Fortunately, the volume of the stuff produced is quite small.

Medium-level waste is another thing entirely. It's still got plenty of exotic compounds to make your day really unpleasant, but it's nowhere near as “hot”; it can be stored dry without special measures. OTOH, there's a vast amount of it too. The neutron flux treatment would just make things worse.

Low-level waste is sufficiently non-dangerous that landfill might be a viable option, perhaps even incineration (with the right scrubbers on the flue gases and a little care with the ash).

• Considered Harmful

@dkf said:

You're mistaking high-level waste for medium-level waste.

No. Now that I read up on it, it turned out "millions" was exaggerated and it's actually "just" hundreds of thousands of cubic meters: The Hanford site alone has 200,000 m3 of high-level waste according to the NYT, and the total in the US should be a around 300,000. Not what I would call a small volume.
    The Hanford site's cleanup costs some 2 G$ a year, with 115 G$ still required. Even if stuff like this should surprisingly be pure coincidence.

• @xaade said:

It's just the only one on that chart that has low emissions and lower per capita emissions, that registers. That's why I picked that one out.

This chart is lying AFAIK.

• @fbmac said:

What's the problem of living like indians?

Are you fucking kidding me ? Everything !!!! There is not a single thing that is not fucked up here. Every minutiae of every fucking thing ever.

• @stillwater said:

Are you fucking kidding me ? Everything !!!! There is not a single thing that is not fucked up here. Every minutiae of every fucking thing ever.

There's still some things I'd like to come see if you don't mind.

• @xaade said:

There's still some things I'd like to come see if you don't mind.

What kind of things do you want to see ?

Edit : You can actually get 80% of the Indian experience if you go stand in Wembley central, London for 2 hours.

• What I usually do.

A mix of stuff like this:

And going to eat local food.

Like, real local food, not tourist food.

• @stillwater said:

You can actually get 80% of the Indian experience if you go stand in Wembley central, London for 2 hours.

I get that people feel this way.

But there's no china town worldwide that compares to actually being in China.

• @xaade said:

I get that people feel this way.

But there's no china town worldwide that compares to actually being in China.

Fair enough. And yeah If you are coming for local food, India is completely worth it. I thought Indian food was too much filled with spices for the western palate something something .

• @stillwater said:

I thought Indian food was too much filled with spices for the western palate something something .

Cajun.

My favorite in China was a local Mongolian grill that was literally a hole in a wall. You walked through a rectangle shaped hole that was nowhere near tall enough for stereotypical short Chinese, and sat on picnic tables on concrete and stone, and ate from a chunk of meat that you cooked yourself.

They just got the meat started and got the fire right.

I stop at the point where you can't sense the flavor of the food. At that point the heat is just for heat's sake, and I'm not interested.

But as long as the flavor is rich, I'll bite.

• @xaade said:

I stop at the point where you can't sense the flavor of the food. At that point the heat is just for heat's sake, and I'm not interested.

You don't find this that often in India. One thing though, Meat is always well done here is what you might find odd, otherwise food is tasty af and you ll have a fucking flavor explosion in your mouth, in a nice way.

• @xaade said:

My favorite in China was a local Mongolian grill that was literally a hole in a wall. You walked through a rectangle shaped hole that was nowhere near tall enough for stereotypical short Chinese, and sat on picnic tables on concrete and stone, and ate from a chunk of meat that you cooked yourself.

... you sure it was a restaurant?

• @blakeyrat said:

... you sure it was a restaurant?

LOLOLOL....

There was a lot of literally-backyard grillers who were peddling their food.

Not everything in China is so commercialized and franchised.

It's also ironic that they don't have access to what they make FOR us here in the west. Those product leaks are there because many products are simply not available through legit means. The manufacturers simply don't sell their products in China.

They're kinda in our 50s era of everything being plastic too.

It was hard to find anything other than plastic at any retailer.

Everything else was haggle and private merchandiser.

• ♿ (Parody)

@xaade said:

Like, real local food, not tourist food.

Cultural appropriation thread is :arrows:.