Apple's full of shit

• @Grunnen said:

@David_C said:
    The problem is that it outlasted its usefulness. And Apple was aware of this, hence the many (failed) projects to modernize Mac OS before they decided to migrate everything over to what was effectively NeXTStep with a new GUI and a backward-compatibility layer.

So am I wrong then, if I conclude that maybe, given the situation of Apple at the time, switching to NextStep with its Unix-underpinnigs was just the least bad choice? Even if concepts like the resource-vs-data-fork distinction were alien to that new foundation.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda. Go fax a design document back to 1990 and see what they think about it.

You were grousing about the Classic Mac OS memory model, which was (effectively) unchanged since 1988. It is completely unfair to compare it against a modern OS memory subsystem.

Nobody, even then, was saying that it was great, but there were non-technical factors preventing such a massive redesign. Everybody else was facing the exact same problems. Companies with enough money to support development and support of multiple architectures (like Microsoft) did so. Others switched when business forces left them no choice.

• @Grunnen said:

So am I wrong then, if I conclude that maybe, given the situation of Apple at the time, switching to NextStep with its Unix-underpinnigs was just the least bad choice?

The least bad choice would have been Apple not fucking up their own Rhapsody OS' development, wasting years of effort on vapor. It was originally scheduled for release, IIRC, on a timeline that would have made it VERY competitive with Windows 2000. (Aka the first NT-based OS suited for home use.)

The second-least bad choice would have been adopting BeOS. (That one wasn't Apple's fault. Be refused to sell for any reasonable price Apple offered.)

What they actually did was the third-least bad choice.

• @blakeyrat said:

not fucking up their own Rhapsody OS' development

To be honest, the only thing about Rhapsody I knew was the name. But when quickly reading about it, I get the impression that OS X is basically Rhapsody, plus Carbon as backwards-compatible API added because MS and Adobe threatened to abandon the platform if they would need to do a full rewrite. So what do you mean exactly?

• @hungrier said:

@David_C said:
    Scans ended up with image glitches and CD burners produced coasters, for instance. I remember having to quit all apps and disable all networking while performing these actions in order to get them to work right.

Combine that with the fact that most (cheap) CD burners didn't have Burn-Proof or any kind of protection, and they were slow as shit so you'd have a longer wait before you could use your computer for anything. I don't miss those days at all.

Actually bought a SCSI controller and harddisc solely due to this issue.

• @Grunnen said:

But when quickly reading about it, I get the impression that OS X is basically Rhapsody,

Well the article on Wiki only talks about what was actually released by Apple. Apple had been working on it since like 1994 and the tiny bits of it that went into OS X were the only bits that were salvageable. There's a book about it, but I can't remember the title of it--

Basically while we're talking about all this stuff Apple couldn't do because they didn't have the developers, it's really because they did have the developers working on this pie-in-the-sky new OS which was a classic "deathmarch" product.

• @Lorne_Kates said:

There is no way any hardware company would be so insane as to actually put the USB port there.

Quite so. That will be a Lightning port, I expect.

• @blakeyrat said:

this pie-in-the-sky new OS which was a classic "deathmarch" product

...which prompts me to wonder again: whatever happened to the WinFS typed filesystem that was supposed to be part of Longhorn?

• My theory is it never existed in the first place, Microsoft just announced it to fuck with their competitors.

• Would have been fun watching MS claim to have invented resource forks.

• Notification Spam Recipient

@flabdablet said:

WinFS typed filesystem that was supposed to be part of Longhorn?

I think they just realized that they were effectively inventing Partition-as-an-SQL-database and canned it.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@kt_ said:

Office for Mac is a joke. I have a friend using the latest Excel on Mac and he says it's unusable: crashes a lot and is incomparable to Office for Windows in terms of features.

Outlook on Mac is the worst for being so different from Outlook on Windows.
    Outlook 2016 for Mac is missing a lot of features that Office 2003 got in Windows - Outlook for Mac didn't even support Exchange push mail until 2016.

I still use Office 2011 for Mac at work - it's definitely a viable option.

• ♿ (Parody)

Doesn't Outlook for Mac use OWA to talk to Exchange?

@kt_ said:

You're in luck, then. Excel for Mac is so shitty, that they're (friend's company) switching to Google Spreadsheets wherever it's possible

It's not shitty. I'd love to see that qualified. I've not yet found something I need that Excel 2010 for Windows can do that 2011 for Mac can't.

@boomzilla said:

Doesn't Outlook for Mac use OWA to talk to Exchange?

I'm not sure. Maybe?

@loopback0 said:

I've not yet found something I need that Excel 2010 for Windows can do that 2011 for Mac can't.

The Mac version of Powerpoint is better in a few respects, notably for being better at importing from PDF and having a much more intuitive layer management UI. Word is pretty similar, though it arranges things differently on the two platforms (mostly because the Mac general UI doesn't permit replacing the menubar outright with the pseudo-ribbon-tab thing).

I haven't used Excel enough to say for sure (e.g., I've never needed the complex scripting parts of it) and Outlook irritates the fuck out of me on all platforms — it has done for at least 15 years — and I won't touch it if at all possible.

• @dkf said:

Outlook irritates the fuck out of me on all platforms — it has done for at least 15 years — and I won't touch it if at all possible.

[poll]

• Correct
    • Correct 
      [/poll]

• Some people have clearly not used current versions of Lotus Notes.

• @loopback0 said:

Outlook on Mac is the worst for being so different from Outlook on Windows.

It isn't. It's Entourage. They just renamed it to "Outlook".

According to the Wiki page, it was partially inspired by Claris Emailer, which was my favorite email client for like 5+ years. Go figure.

• BINNED

Why would people still use any email client but Web? Keep one tab open and just use Gmail for business (it is not expensive), it integrates with Calendar and sends notifications to your phone. It cannot get any better or more productive.

• https://inbox.google.com is probably better for the non-tech savvy employees in your company.

• Dupa

@dse said:

Keep one tab open and just use Gmail

I, for one, hate the interface, especially since the three-inboxes change. And I hate the login screen, fuck you Google, I can type my email address myself, no need to remind me and inform all the people shoulder-surfing about all my, my friend's and my family's email addresses.

So I prefer desktop clients.

• You do realize that all of your complaints

• also apply to desktop clients and
    • are able to be fixed using checkboxes in the web client's settings page,

right?

• Dupa

@ben_lubar said:

also apply to desktop clients and

Depends on the desktop client.

@ben_lubar said:

are able to be fixed using checkboxes in the web client's settings page,

Can I disable Gmail UI completely using those checkboxes?

Btw, don't you ever sleep? It's like 2 in the morning in your neck of the woods.

• @kt_ said:

It's like 2 in the morning

Nah, only 1. I just usually pull a reverse Benjamin Franklin.

• @ben_lubar said:

I just usually pull a reverse Benjamin Franklin.

"Reverse Benjamin Franklin" sounds like a good name for a rock bandobscure sex act.

@blakeyrat said:

I also despise the online webmail variant of Outlook. I know from observing colleagues that it is very similar to the desktop Windows Outlook, I just hate it. The ways in which it encourages one to organise information are not the ways in which I think. Since there's software out there that does do what I want, I just don't use Outlook.

And we use Google Calendar for our calendaring as a group. It works very well, especially at integrating with the mobile devices we've got, and it's great when it comes to collaborating with people in other universities (i.e., where there's no chance of having a common Exchange service).

@JazzyJosh said:

Some people have clearly not used current versions of Lotus Notes.

I shall be counting my blessings. this.blessings++;

@dse said:

Why would people still use any email client but Web?

Why not use a desktop app? Also everything else is desktop and there's no benefit for us moving to Gmail for Business.
    We have our own infrastructure, why would we CLOUD ALL THE THINGS?

@blakeyrat said:

They should have left it called Entourage, then there would be no expectation for it to be like Outlook for Windows.

• @kt_ said:

I, for one,

Why do people type this? We know you're just one person. You don't need to specify "for one" when you say "I".

• Dupa

@blakeyrat said:

We know

Why do people type this? I know that you can only speak for yourself. You don't have to say "we know", when you really mean "I know".

YOU DUMBASS!

• Seriously, though, why did you type "I, for one"?

I'm more curious about it than annoyed. What's the point of it? When you say "I" without following it up with "for one", does that mean you're talking about multiple people? Who are they?

• @blakeyrat said:

Seriously, though, why did you type "I, for one"?

I'm more curious about it than annoyed. What's the point of it? When you say "I" without following it up with "for one", does that mean you're talking about multiple people? Who are they?

His shoulder aliens refused to endorse the statement, so he specified "for one" to disclaim their part in hating the Google Inbox interface.

• Dupa

@blakeyrat said:

Seriously, though, why did you type "I, for one"?

Seriously, for the same reason, that other say this. Why do people use IMO? If you're typing this and you don't indicate otherwise, we know it's your opinion.

It's a figure of speech, stop interpreting it literally.

Also:

• Dupa

@Dogsworth said:

His shoulder aliens refused to endorse the statement, so he specified "for one" to disclaim their part in hating the Google Inbox interface.

My shoulder aliens love Gmail interface.

• Dupa

@kt_ said:

You, for one, should know that, @blakeyrat, being American and all.

Huh, I have this feeling that punctuation in this post is too much Polish…

You for one, should know that @blakeyrat, being American and all.

Better!

@kt_ said:

stop interpreting it literally.

YMBNH.

• @dkf said:

I shall be counting my blessings. this.blessings++;

So you're going to count your blessings, and then add to them? Clbuttic off-by-one error just waiting to happen.

• BINNED

@kt_ said:

Huh, I have this feeling that punctuation in this post is too much Polish…

Nope, still no ✨, keep polishing.

• BINNED

@Onyx said:

keep polishing

Możesz, na przykład, powinien wiedzieć, żeblakeyrat, jest Amerykaninem i wszystkich.

Maybe the punctuation needs some work ...

• @kt_ said:

Right; but what does it mean? I'm not asking if it's a figure of speech, I figured that much out. I'm asking what the hell it's trying to convey to the audience.

• It seems to indicate that what follows is just a personal habit or opinion, just to prove that such an opinion or habit exists and that a contradicting opinion or habit isn't universal, but also conveying that the author doesn't suggest that his or her habit or opinion is superior to any contradicting opinion or habit.

My dictionary simply says that "for one" means "for example".

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

It's repetition for the sake of emphasis.

• Dupa

@blakeyrat said:

Right; but what does it mean?

Essentially, "I for one" translates to "I have a different opinion, although I could be in a minority here".

Feel free to correct me, all you non-ESL's.

• Emphasizing that he is indeed only one person. That's how I first interpreted it, but that's really stupid. Grunnen's makes more sense I guess, except is there some big controversy about online email clients?

• Dupa

@Luhmann said:

Maybe the punctuation needs some work ...

Punctuation is the smallest problem with this sentence.

You know how sometimes Google Translate yields awful results, but at least understandable? Well, this time it failed.

• Dupa

@blakeyrat said:

is there some big controversy about online email clients?

Haven't you heard? The Paris attack was a result all about email clients controversy. Those guys were protesting against employers forcing Outlook on employees, IIRC.

• @blakeyrat said:

Right; but what does it mean?

To me it indicates that the speaker is staking out a new, generally opposing position on something. They're basically saying "I'm the first one in this conversation who has expressed this opinion, but there may be others who will agree with me."

So "I, for one, welcome our new robot overlords" means more or less "Everyone else has been talking about fighting them, but I say we should be grateful; they can only be an improvement."

• @kt_ said:

protesting against employers forcing Outlook on employees

Nobody should have to use xhamster.

• @Lorne_Kates said:

There is no way any hardware company would be so insane as to actually put the USB port there.

Unless they want to make absolutely certain you don't try to use it while it is charging. (And no, I have no idea why they should care, but that's the only reason I can think of that's at least somewhat logical.)

@flabdablet said:

Would have been fun watching MS claim to have invented resource forks.

I believe NTFS does have the concept of multiple forks (which they call "alternate data streams") but as far as I know, they aren't used by any significant piece of software.

• @ben_lubar said:

You do realize that all of your complaints

• also apply to desktop clients and
    • are able to be fixed using checkboxes in the web client's settings page,

right?

The thing that finally irritated me enough to ditch Gmail was that Google made and kept on making, without any kind of notice or opt-in, gratuitous push-me-toward-G+ "improvements" to the UI that I had to waste time figuring out how to turn off right when all I wanted to do was read my mail. Every single change they made after Marissa Mayer left the company was a usability regression from my point of view.

With Thunderbird, the only time I have ever needed to fuck with it is right after I have deliberately chosen to update it, which I do at times when actually reading my mails is not my priority.

I also don't have to fuck with Fastmail's web UI, because when they make changes they're either incredibly minor or fully opt-in.