Application prefs, the Adobe way

• He got rid of pet telepathy, so you don't get owned by unseen stuff any more; now it's always possible to disable the dog before it kills you.

• Nah, flawless isn't the same as perfect, though it is a prerequisite. For example, you'll never be perfect, no matter how many of your flaws you eliminate, because there's nothing special about you in the first place. The best you could hope for is a perfectly consistent level of mediocrity.

• Let me necromance this thread because I just discovered a new bit of settings manipulation that’s very similar but even more weird.

When you install InDesign, it gets localised to your system’s default language, which is not unexpected. InDesign of course doesn’t use the standard macOS localisation method,¹ but instead has a folder with titles corresponding to the localisation somewhere in its installation folder (not inside the app package). So, the folder nl_NL will obviously contain the files needed for Dutch localisation, and inside it are files with names in Dutch.

Fine, so if I want to change the app to another language, I would need to find a version of that folder for my desired language, I suppose.

Nope. What you do is just rename the folder to the code for the language you want and restart the program — done, it’s now in that language.

(This is not the official method: that is to uninstall the whole program, then go to the Adobe Creative Cloud app, change your desired language there and re-install the program. This seems a little cumbersome.)

¹ It does have .lproj folders inside the app package, but each of those contains exactly one thing: a file named locals.strings that is 2 bytes in size, and with contents FFFE in hex. Your guess to what these are for, is as good as mine.

• @Gurth A byte order mark? I haven't seen one of those in a while...

• @Arantor said in Application prefs, the Adobe way:

@Gurth A byte order mark? I haven't seen one of those in a while...

I guess the idea ... (resists) ... (resists) ... (yields) ... BOMbed.

• Considered Harmful

@Steve_The_Cynic said in Application prefs, the Adobe way:

@Arantor said in Application prefs, the Adobe way:

@Gurth A byte order mark? I haven't seen one of those in a while...

I guess the idea ... (resists) ... (resists) ... (yields) ... BOMbed.

The OMB requires it for some documents, but it never really caught on with the general mob.

And business oversight as a specialty has yet to be graced with a matching postgraduate degree.

• Considered Harmful

@Arantor no, no, that's the negative maxint local value cache.

It's an empty internationalization file, per the name and contents. If you want a much swearier experience, the format is probably "documented" somewhere... that BOM suggests XML but who knows, could be an older provenance, like from when MacOS was on more different chip architectures.

• Considered Harmful

@Buddy said in Application prefs, the Adobe way:

He got rid of pet telepathy, so you don't get owned by unseen stuff any more; now it's always possible to disable the dog before it kills you.

This was Yahweh's lesser known Fourth Covenant with humanity.

• @Gribnit Whoosh?