Unit testing NodeJS (without exposing internals)

• @accalia said:

okay then......

on a scale from 0 to "hand in your programmer's license"..... how bad would it be to do

I'd go with a global switch or environmental variable.

Also, if you're already using prototype object pattern (_name for private members), you can do the similar thing with module exports and just export everything unconditionally?

• FoxDev

so what i ended up with was....

look for a global method describe that's put there by mocha, and is absent from the global scope at run time.

then i change behavior in two places to expose internals that shouldn't be poked by modules (modules don't get that luxury. just the core stuff)

and my tests:

... Did i do good @Yamikuronue?

• FoxDev

so that leaves me with a very simple module API:

https://github.com/SockDrawer/SockIRC/blob/master/modules/log2console.js#L19-L30

this will probably be expanded to add a config parameter to begin when i do module loading proper, but for now...

client is an event emitter that emits the events shown in begin (along with raw that's ignored but there in case a module wants to handle CTCP messages)

payload is an object with the following keys:

•    type: (string) message subtype (for example message_recieved could have: 'action', 'notice', or 'message')

•    who: (string|null) user who sent the message

•    what: (string|null) target of the message (channel or user)

•    text: (string) texdt of the message,

•    raw: (object) parsed irc message as per [the docs](http://node-irc.readthedocs.org/en/latest/API.html#'raw')

•    command: (string) command that was parsed if texts begins with ! empty string otherwise

•    args: (string[]) args that were parsed if text begins with ! empty array otherwise

additionally client has the following methods:

• join(channel): join a channel
    • part(channel, [reason]): leave a channel
    • say(target, text): say something to person/channel
    • notice(target, text): notice a person (/notice)
    • action(target, text): do an action. (/me)