You haven't installed updates for 8300 years



  • In the process of migrating to a new computer at work. Took it out of sleep today and was greeted with the banner. "That's strange, it was only a few days ago I did all the updates," thought I. "Plus the whole system was only reinstalled less than two weeks ago."

    So I took a screenshot and Win-R to paste it into mspaint. Then the banner reappeared and I noticed something strange in the bottom right corner so I took the following screenshot.

    http://squornshellous.com/wtf/wtf-10315.png

    I'm not sure who's WTF this is (I'm probably betting HP more than Microsoft) But the Microsoft WTF was that the banner kept reappearing every 5-10 seconds, stealing focus and preventing me from changing the date.


  • SockDev

    At least we know Windows 8.1 is Y10K compliant :laughing:



  • I wish I had taken a screenshot of the datepicker...



  • According to the standard, year 10315 should be represented as "A10315" for proper ASCII sortability.


  • SockDev

    @Zemm said:

    I'm not sure who's WTF this is (I'm probably betting HP more than Microsoft)

    I have, on the odd occasion, had a faulty sync with time.windows.com, which has set the clock well out of sync with the real world. But it never put it out by 8300 years; more like 100 :smile_cat:



  • I wonder which year of 2800, 3200, 3600, 4000, etc they decided was not a leap year. By then the Gregorian calendar will be an entire day out! By 8000 it will be two days out if a "divisible by 400" leap year is not removed approximately every 4000 years.



  • @anonymous234 said:

    year 10315 should be represented as "A10315" for proper ASCII sortability

    Microsoft making up their own standards, again!


  • SockDev

    @Zemm said:

    I wonder which year of 2800, 3200, 3600, 4000, etc they decided was not a leap year. By then the Gregorian calendar will be an entire day out! By 8000 it will be two days out if a "divisible by 400" leap year is not removed approximately every 4000 years.

    I think that's more a question for the International Earth Rotation and Reference Systems Service ;)


  • SockDev

    @Zemm said:

    Microsoft making up their own standards, again!

    actually

    it's a 1999.04.01 RFC paper,

    i forgot about that one... :laughing:



  • @accalia said:

    actually

    Actually, I was referring to my screenshot where Microsoft is not RFC 2550 compliant.


  • SockDev

    @Zemm said:

    Actually, I was referring to my screenshot where Microsoft is not RFC 2550 compliant.

    oh i got that, but i forgot about that RFC, and the date it was published on (note my own date format is also not RFC2550 compliant) so i wanted to share both bits.



  • @accalia said:

    but i forgot about that RFC

    You forgot in the five-or-so posts since @anonymous234 's post? :grinning:


  • SockDev

    ... no, but i did do a small woosh and not notice he had helpfully linked to it (i opened new tab and google searched for it. I blame the lack of caffeine.)



  • @anonymous234 said:

    According to the standard, year 10315 should be represented as "A10315" for proper ASCII sortability.

    Eh, I'll just use the easier notation of 315.M11. It'll make things easier when the Imperium gets going.


  • SockDev

    @e4tmyl33t said:

    Eh, I'll just use the easier notation of 315.M11. It'll make things easier when the Imperium gets going.

    An Imperial loyalist, eh? Excuse me a moment while I summon some daemons…



  • @RaceProUK said:

    An Imperial loyalist, eh? Excuse me a moment while I summon some daemons…

    Depends on what army I feel like playing at the moment. I've got my old force of Dark Angels, but recently I felt the call of the xenos and started up an Eldar army.



  • @RaceProUK said:

    I have, on the odd occasion, had a faulty sync with time.windows.com,

    Only the odd occasion?



  • Feh. No skaven!??!?!

    Oh wait...



  • @blakeyrat said:

    Feh. No skaven!??!?!

    Oh wait...

    Actually, my roommate does play Skaven...

    I just can't get into Warhammer Fantasy anymore, too fiddly with needing to keep things in rank and file and whatnot. I prefer the more skirmishy-feel of 40k. That means I should probably sell off the large Chaos Warriors army I've got sitting around in my basement...



  • @anonymous234 said:

    According to the standard, year 10315 should be represented as "A10315" for proper ASCII sortability.

    Let's hope ASCII won't be a thing by then.
    Or string sort algorithms that don't sort numbers smartly


    Not a whoosh.



  • @accalia said:

    i did do a small woosh

    Want a small badge?


  • SockDev

    @PJH said:

    Only the odd occasion?

    Surprisingly, yes!


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.