I have failed as an IT Professional

• @Ragnax said:

If you don't find anything, it depends on how disposable your data is, I guess?

lol

• 🚽 Regular

@Zecc said:

blakeyrat said:

Join us. JOIN USSSS.

Filed under: [I know what my dreams will be about tonight](#tag)

This became a self-fulfilling prediction.

Also, <blockquote>s break [quote]s.

• 🚽 Regular

I realize I postponed and then forgot to tell you more details about my dream.

The blakeyrats weren't very scary. They looked cartoonish, exactly like in that picture. To be fair, so did everything else, including myself. They were about 3 feet tall and had squeaky voices as you'd expect.

They followed people around repeating "join us, join us, ...", but otherwise their behaviour wasn't very zombie-like. While they tried very persistently to get close, they kept a respectful distance and never tried to touch anyone or enter their personal space. They just wanted to get close enough to talk.

They were trying to sell obsolete technology, like floppy disks, Discmans and VHS cassettes. While more eloquent than your run-of-the-mill zombies, they weren't very bright. One of them repeatedly tried to sell me a C64 manual despite me insistently telling him I didn't have the device. I had a long and repetitive conversation with another one trying to correct him because he kept saying "wind nose 95".

In the end we were able to avoid them by plating a garden around town. They weren't fond of stepping on plants.

Filed under: off to bed now

• BINNED

The bad ideas thread is ➡ that way.

• Many regular markers (and sharpies) keep their ink liquid with aggressive solvent compounds. Such compounds end up eating through the disk's protective layers. After a few years of letting the solvent do its work, you end up exposing the reflective layer to corrosion or the solvent just eats into it outright.

Always use a marker explicitly created for writing on a disk surface, because those should not be manufactured with solvents known to react to the various disk coatings that are used by disk manufacturers.

Er, solvents evaporate quickly, as in a matter of seconds to days. Slipping them into a protective plastic sleeve immediately or stacking them right on top of each other is a bad idea, but even putting them into a slim case with minimal airflow is plenty of room for the solvents to dissolve themselves into the air and be on their merry way -- that even goes for the universal solvent, water. They'd only be dangerous to the box it was held in as they eventually condense. The drying time is also the evaporation time of the solvents, or at least 99% of them.

They range from Butane and Acetone (which vaporize nearly instantly) to the exotic solvents found in actual Sharpies, which the longest of which (Butanol and Diacetone) might stick around for ten minutes or so at room temp.