Representative compile error

• @accalia said:

quite similar to that, yes!

except much much longer.

my favorite title i had was:

Lady Accalia, Mistress of the Fallen Oaks and the Lands, Waters, and Effects Thereof.

it sounds cool until one realizes that in the particular game we were playing at the time that title was the equivalent of my postal address.

That reminds me of one of the title-related bloopers I ran into in Eve Online...

The corporation my main character in that game is in sometimes will hand out titles as a convenient way to package some access rights together; in this case, it was a "Flak Operator" title, which gives the rights needed to man starbase defenses. Of course, this title shows up with all the rest when you go to "Show Info" on my character.

This wasn't a problem though, until one day, my character ran into an old acquaintance of his who was a little over-eager to be prim and proper, and referred to him as "Operator so-and-so". A fair chiding ensued, as Mrs. Prim and Proper had to be reminded that that title was not intended for such usage!

• FoxDev

@tarunik said:

A fair chiding ensued, as Mrs. Prim and Proper had to be reminded that that title was not intended for such usage!

and this is one of the reasons why i was very careful to never acquire a title with any variant of "operator" in it. or if i did i made sure to "lose" it quickly.

I should go through my list of titles and put some of the more amusing ones in my profile. some of them are mildly amusing, even out of context.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

I hope you Googled "sirrah".

• Isn't that a type of red wine? :trollface:

As a matter of fact, no. It's an address to someone of lower, probably sketchy, class. You know how in the past, actors were treated as little better than thieves and gypsies? That's the kind of person you call sirrah.

I learned that from a game, too: It was something the NPCs in the roguelike Omega would call you, so I looked it up one day.

• I really should nominate you for whoosh for that, seeing how there is such a thing as the Syrah grape which is a type of shiraz and makes red wine, but the rest of your post is sufficiently interesting that I shall stay my hand for now.

Like Bela Lugosi, I never drink...wine.

Actually that's not really true, but it so happens I rarely drink anything alocoholic, so I am certainly not knowledgeable about different types of booze. I think I have heard of shiraz once.

• I have never drunk Syrah-based wine, haven't drunk wine in years in general... but sadly I used to work in a liquor store so I picked up a shit-ton of knowledge I don't want or need or use but can't get rid of.

• @Hanzo said:

Unless it's at the end of the sentence, as in: A good day to you, sir.
    Likewise at the beginning. Obviously, if it's at either end of the sentence, there is nothing on that side from which it set it off; therefore, putting a comma there would be silly.

@Hanzo said:

The phrase "which ... not" should be put between dashes. The comma signals a subordinate clause, while this phrase is an interjection.
    Actually, it is a parenthesis. Parentheses, dashes or commas are all acceptable punctuation to set a parenthesis off from the rest of the sentence.

Minor WTF: My company requires all employees to take online business English training, because people were writing customer-facing documents that were embarrassingly bad. The training is broken into several sections; there is a multiple-choice quiz at the end of each that one must pass to receive credit. One section stated, as above, that all three forms of punctuation are acceptable, and considered wrong any answer other than all three. Another section stated parentheses and commas are acceptable, and marked an answer wrong if it included dashes.

@Hanzo said:

Ben is just a common man? Sound the trumpets!

I guessed what that link was. I haven't watched the video (because work), but I clicked the link just to see if I was right. Yep. Obvious, but good choice. Except for Ben; he doesn't deserve a fanfare because he posts DF and Lojban here.

• @FrostCat said:

I hope you Googled "sirrah".

No, because I thought I knew what it meant. I was wrong; thank you (and Google) for enlightening me. While "sirrah" would, indeed, be appropriate, I still think "dumbass" would be more fitting and less likely to be misunderstood.

@HardwareGeek said:

I still think "dumbass" would be more fitting and less likely to be misunderstood.

Effective communication has a strong foundation in saying exactly what you mean.

• @delfinom said:

The codebase used a different compiler or Clib before this!?

It used a much older (and laxer) version of GCC: I had to use -fpermissive to bludgeon the compiler into accepting unqualified argument-dependent lookup, because they were too lazy to shove this-> in front of dependent function calls in their list template. Never mind that said list template is an abomination that needs to be scrapped...

Also, there was a transitive-includes cleanup in libstdc++-v3 a little while ago, which explains the missing includes; still doesn't excuse depending on other people's transitive includes, though!

• @ben_lubar said:

LᴬTEX?

How's that?