Chrome's reopen closed tab reverts to a state long before the tab was closed

• I just closed a tab, and then reopened it, having read a few topics (and possibly used the back button after I was done reading them) and dismissed some notifcations by clicking on them (like you do)

I then closed the tab and then decided I regretted it. I used the reopen closed tab functionality, and the count of notifications was restored, as well as some counts next to threads I had recently read.

expected behaviour: restoring the page restores to the actual last state of the page.

this may not be a bug discourse can resolve, but other pages do not regress to the point of page load (text box entries are retained etc) so I think there is probably something they can do.

• mod

• Not sure what to say to this. All the browsers' different methods for handling page state recovery when using back/forward/restore tab vary wildly and there are no standards for it that I'm aware of.

• true, I have presented it in such a way to demonstrate I recognize the limitations in terms of knowledge and control the site has over the behaviour, but as I said, I haven't noticed similar issues with other websites at all, so there is clearly something discourse is doing differently.

• I've seen many fancy ajaxy sites fail to recover after being restored. The more fancy, the worse they are. Other than doing a setInverval heartbeat inside the page to see if it's still alive, I wouldn't have a clue where to start. All this JS URL and hash fiddling stuff is hard.

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.