I SELECT f.*, c.* sometimes.

• Very good observation. Yes, we alternate flavors depending on the customers request. We'll either use MSSQL or MySQL

Although we are moving to being all MySQL because it is cheaper, and I can do roughly the same things with it (with a few exceptions). I do more Stored Proc work on MSSQL then MySQL. but MySQL is the direction.

• Interface contracts are for scrublords.

• but we also use a DAL library called DataMgr it is different than ORM and it is FAST....Love it...

Look at this example:

<cfset test = application.DataMgr.insertRecord('landerStuff', argumentCollection)>

When you dump out test...You get the record number 😄 which can be handy for obvious reasons.

Here is another example:

<cfset test = application.DataMgr.getRecords(tablename="landerStuff", data={active=1,approved=1,draft=0}, sortby="startDate DESC")>

This way makes it very easy and convenient to pinhole some date to a webpage.

• assuming you arent using both database types at the same time, you should still have a db abstraction layer, and call the appropriate methods with appropriate sql via contract of what's expected, rather than managing it in if statements directly

[Edit]
    To clarify, if i'm being ambiguous:

Currently
    if(something) {run sql 1 for mysql
    else{run sql for sql server}

repeat this anywhere you're executing sql

Should be:

if(mysql) {import mysql methods} else {import sql server methods}
    DoSomeAction(with specific data) { calls included methods to appropriately handle data, unambiguously and without a ton of control statements to determine what to run}

• I mostly use objects to handle presentation and work/data seperation. We call them using createobject() and pass in the args struct to the appropriate function like you would expect.

• But we are looser in picking DB flavors we lean on a config file to pick/switch.

Edit...

This will only happen at the beginning of development. It'll never change willy-nilly while it is living and breathing day to day. So one or the other.

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

We standardize a DAO layer using cfstoredproc so all our optimization can be handled by the database team.

• Well, what do we have here?...you speaks teh coldfusions...

We use cfstoredproc on one of our bigger client's hospital websites. All other sites (roughly 100 active websites) we support do not use stored procedures.

:)

• @Frank said:

You guys don't let anything slip

Sometimes, the "Many Eyes" hypothesis of open source does in fact work.

• This isn't an open source community. Many eyes does work, just not when all eyes are blind.

Actually, maybe that's an inaccurate statement now, since theoretically discourse is open source...

Fuck.

• Many eyes work when 1) there are many eyes and 2) the eyes are actually looking.

When these two things come together, magic happens. There is a curious shortage of magic in the world.

• Weren't you complaining about being a wizard the other day?

• There was a conversation to some related effect, yes. But wizard or not, there is a shortage of magic in the world. There's a lot of cynicism and jaded feeling.

• I can see how you might be concerned about a lack of magic if you're a wizard. It would imply you're less powerful than you could be.

• It really just depends on Arantor's wizard powers and where he puts his skill points.

I mean a fire level 3 wizard with high constitution and a ice wizard level 2 with high wisdom is like comparing stone giants to hill giants.

It can't be done man!

• I guess, I mean he could be a pure int sorcerer with no adaptability or attunement. He'd have to be lucky to score a kill, but if he maxes int first he can scrub some nubs.

• Fuck off, I'm not nearly that intelligent.

• You need to alt tab to the screen where you can add your "intelligence attribute points", I missed that screen too the first time I played.

• All my rolls to start with were fairly poor, I don't think buffing a few points is going to make a significant difference.

• You're funny...I am all for self-depreciating humor (one thing I am really good at too) 😄

• ♿ (Parody)

@Matches said:

I can see how you might be concerned about a lack of magic if you're a wizard. It would imply you're less powerful than you could be.

Or he's the one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind.

• That's the one. I could program a VCR before we went all on-demand, so clearly I know everything related to IT and A/V equipment. It's such a low barrier to competence around here.