"All your drives are belong to..." (Rant)

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@dkf said:

@ender said:
    @flabdablet said:
    The only thing worse than an HP printer driver is an HP printer driver installer. It will cost you less grief just to buy them a Canon.
    In my experience, Canons are even worse than HPs.
    Hmm. I've never had problems with Canon printers that wasn't down to a physical issue like a clogged ink reservoir.
    I get the impression they're talking about the cruft that comes with the installer on the CD that invariably comes with the printers, when typically the OS can quite effortlessly find it's own copy of the driver TYVM without the need to use the CD in the first place.

• @dkf said:

Hmm. I've never had problems with Canon printers that wasn't down to a physical issue like a clogged ink reservoir. Were you using a pure printer, or one of the many-things-in-one devices?
    I used both, though I admit that newer models aren't that bad anymore (but in the past Canon was something to avoid at all costs). Canon printers were also the only ones I was never able to get to work with print servers (the tiny box type, which have network port and power connector on one end and USB or parallel port on the other - regardless of which one I tried, they all simply froze when confronted with Canon printers).

• @PJH said:

I get the impression they're talking about the cruft that comes with the installer on the CD

I got a Canon scanner, and the software is good, lean and super-usable.

And they say unicorns don't exist!