I'm an idiot

• @mikeTheLiar said:

@Ronald said:
    Step 2 Establish a theory of probable cause (question the obvious)
    I can't decide if the solution was obvious or not. It kinda seems like one of those "are you sure it's plugged in" situations to me.

In other circles, this procedure is known as "the scientific method".

• @toon said:

I love how you ship stuff to the customer, and they'll find bugs you didn't, because they did stuff that makes you go, "okay it's a bug, but, but, but why the fuck would anyone even do that?".

Customers like that are the canaries in your QA coalmine, and your testers need to be paying attention to them.

• @flabdablet said:

@toon said:
    I love how you ship stuff to the customer, and they'll find bugs you didn't, because they did stuff that makes you go, "okay it's a bug, but, but, but why the fuck would anyone even do that?".

Customers like that are the canaries in your QA coalmine, and your testers need to be paying attention to them.

What makes you assume they're not? I don't think anyone where I work doesn't pay attention to what the client says.

As a matter of fact, we have a couple of canaries, as opposed to trained testers, testing where I work now. In my previous job (I switched jobs in April) there were zero testers.

• @toon said:

What makes you assume they're not? I don't think anyone where I work doesn't pay attention to what the client says.

As a matter of fact, we have a couple of canaries, as opposed to trained testers, testing where I work now. In my previous job (I switched jobs in April) there were zero testers.

I trained some canaries to do testing, but they shat everywhere, and I had to spend hours trying to shoo them out of the skylight.

• @Mr. DOS said:

Any decent certificate vendor will create the cert for the root domain plus one subdomain (in this case, www). Get a better vendor.

Any decent vendor won't charge you a million dollars just for the privilege of having a *.domain.com ...there's going to come a time when everything runs through SSL, and this whole certificate "extortion racket" will cease to be, and good fucking riddance. Me, I'm sticking with StartSSL ... $59 a year and a few photocopied IDs for unlimited wildcard certificates. Sure, my browser address bar might not turn blue or green ... but really who gives a damn.

• @daveime said:

...there's going to come a time when everything runs through SSL, and this whole certificate "extortion racket" will cease to be, and good fucking riddance.
    Ain't that the truth. There was a time when an “administration fee” sort of made sense, but the full certificate price (hundreds of dollars? Really, VeriSign?) never did, and nowadays when SSL is expected of practically any site of any significance, it's ridiculous and about time we saw a better option. Having to have one IP per certificate is bad enough, even if that is a technical restriction.

• @daveime said:

@Mr. DOS said:

Any decent certificate vendor will create the cert for the root domain plus one subdomain (in this case, www). Get a better vendor.

Any decent vendor won't charge you a million dollars just for the privilege of having a *.domain.com ...there's going to come a time when everything runs through SSL, and this whole certificate "extortion racket" will cease to be, and good fucking riddance. Me, I'm sticking with StartSSL ... $59 a year and a few photocopied IDs for unlimited wildcard certificates. Sure, my browser address bar might not turn blue or green ... but really who gives a damn.

I see no possible downside with using a cheap provider.

• @daveime said:

...there's going to come a time when everything runs through SSL, and this whole certificate "extortion racket" will cease to be, and good fucking riddance.

Ultimately, getting rid of the CA system is the only way we're going to get rid of the extortion racket.

• @Mr. DOS said:

Having to have one IP per certificate is bad enough...

How often is this really a problem? You can have dozens of names on a cert. And since when is it that hard to acquire more a few more IPs?

• @Ronald said:

@daveime said:

@Mr. DOS said:

I see no possible downside with using a cheap provider.

I don't think you understood the problem He neglected to install the intermediate certificate which is what is actually used to sign customer certs. I don't know of an SSL provider who doesn't use intermediate certs to do the actual signing any more. The root cert is just used to sign the intermediate, which means the root can be kept off-line and even more secure than the intermediate. Forgetting to install the intermediate cert is a very common problem for people who don't read the instructions when they download their cert.

Honestly, I can't think of a single reason not to go with the cheapest SSL provider you can find. That said, there is some small benefit in going with EV certs, only because they turn the address bar green which can make people feel a bit more secure.

• @morbiuswilters said:

Forgetting to install the intermediate cert is a very common problem for people who don't read the instructions when they download their cert.

Honestly, I can't think of a single reason not to go with the cheapest SSL provider you can find. That said, there is some small benefit in going with EV certs, only because they turn the address bar green which can make people feel a bit more secure.

When your application is hosted on a server you don't (want to) setup/maintain, like a cloud provider, this can be an issue. And a top-of-the-line Geotrust wildcard certificate is around $500 per year, so what is the point in picking the lowest bidder and opening the door to potential problems just to save maybe $450 a year? That's like picking single rolls when you buy toilet paper to save $2 or making your own toothpaste. There's a difference between being cost-effective and being a cheapskate. Unless your time is worth nothing.

• @Ronald said:

And a top-of-the-line Geotrust wildcard certificate is around $500 per year, so what is the point in picking the lowest bidder and opening the door to potential problems just to save maybe $450 a year?

What problems? That's what I'm asking. Do you think Geotrust doesn't use intermediate certs?