Line numbers... in 2002

• @Ben L. said:

@MiffTheFox said:

I don't know about the hardware levels on this forum, Ben L. just recently upgraded to a Pentium 4. Now his PC doubles as a space heater!

For values of "recently" equal to 2004.

Here's a live graph of my load average. A load average of 1 means the same as 100% CPU usage.

Dunno about whatever bastardised distro of Linux you run, but on Solaris, the load average to percentage conversion is roughly equal to ((load average / physical CPUs) * 100).  I say roughly because your load average is based on tasks that are running or scheduled to run, vs just the raw utilization of the CPU.  IIRC Lunix also includes processes that are waiting for IO in the load average, which would mean you need to stop booting off a fucking thumbdrive.

• @drurowin said:

IIRC Lunix also includes processes that are waiting for IO in the load average, which would mean you need to stop booting off a fucking thumbdrive.

You are correct, sir.

• 100 Rem In the following code Line 110 IS a jump table in BASIC (Note most of the functional code is omitted for clarity)

110 On JOY% Goto 200,250,300.350.400,450,500,550,120 (Joy% returns 1 to 8 for direction or 9 if centered)

120 Rem Check for abort (X%=1 when user decides to quit)

140 if x%=0 goto 100

160 Rem shutdown cleanly

180 End

200 Rem Handle Joystick Up-Right

249 Goto 120

250 Rem Handle Joystick Right

299 Goto 120

300 Rem Handle Joystick Dn-Right

349 Goto 120

350 Rem Handle Joystick Down

399 Goto 120

400 Rem Handle Joystick Dn-Left

449 Goto 120

450 Rem Handle Joystick Left

499 Goto 120

500 Rem Handle Joystick Up-Left

549 Goto 120

550 Rem Handle Joystick Up

599 Goto 120

In Sinclair BASIC I would use the following changes.

Line 10 declares J prior to use as required by Sinclair BASIC

10 Let J=1

120 Gosub J

130 Goto 150+J*50

800 Rem Insert code to assign joystick direction to the variable J

<lines j="" variable="" to="" 9="" 1="" range="" the="" in="" value="" appropriate="" assign="" code="" contain="" 801-849="">850 Return</lines>

<lines j="" variable="" to="" 9="" 1="" range="" the="" in="" value="" appropriate="" assign="" code="" contain="" 801-849="">On Joy% Gosub <list> could have been used for this simply by changing the Goto 120 statements to Return statements. The fall through behavior seen in Case statements can be implemented by omitting the Goto 120 statements from selected code blocks.</list></lines>

<lines j="" variable="" to="" 9="" 1="" range="" the="" in="" value="" appropriate="" assign="" code="" contain="" 801-849=""><list> </list></lines><lines j="" variable="" to="" 9="" 1="" range="" the="" in="" value="" appropriate="" assign="" code="" contain="" 801-849=""><list>The concepts remain the same across languages. What changes is the exact code that is needed to implement the structure. Understanding what a structure element actually DOES is required when using that structure in a language which does not include the concept of the structure you want to use. Case statements for example did not exist in the COBOL dialect I used in school. Implementing the Case structure taught me a lot about how that compiler handled the implied Return tag at the end of procedures :) That particular piece of code was a real WTF :P</list></lines>

<lines j="" variable="" to="" 9="" 1="" range="" the="" in="" value="" appropriate="" assign="" code="" contain="" 801-849=""><list>I prefer using branch to label, but I can work with branch to line number when the compiler/interpreter does not do labels. GW-BASIC (BASICA) is a good language, but without a resource like Compute! magazine that would teach you how to use it, there is very little you can do with it unless you have already learned how to program using other dialects or languages. Claiming GW-BASIC is lousy because you failed to learn how to use it is placing the blame incorrectly.</list></lines>

• @morbiuswilters said:

@drurowin said:
    IIRC Lunix also includes processes that are waiting for IO in the load average, which would mean you need to stop booting off a fucking thumbdrive.

You are correct, sir.

A blind squirrel finds a nut every so often.

• You use computed gotos when the language does not support jump tables or On Goto lists.

The VB6 example is the On Goto statement in a language that supports labels as targets for Goto. In most simple BASICs labels are not used and line numbers are the targets.
    When the On Goto operator does not exist then you write a formula to calculate the target line number and assign line numbers according to the formula. As an alternative you can assign the line numbers to an array and use the computed array index to look up the line number to Goto (Yes Virginia you can use pointers in a batch language :P )

• @drurowin said:

@morbiuswilters said:

@drurowin said:

You are correct, sir.

I usually say "Even a stopped clock gives the right time twice a day", but I suppose these expressions come from the technology level of a society.

• @dhromed said:

@drurowin said:

@morbiuswilters said:

@drurowin said:

You are correct, sir.

I usually say "Even a stopped clock gives the right time twice a day", but I suppose these expressions come from the technology level of a society.

I blinded a squirrel with a stopped clock once. But it was a 24-hour clock, so it was only right once a day.

• @mikeTheLiar said:

I blinded a squirrel with a stopped clock once. But it was a 24-hour clock, so it was only right once a day.

If it was a 24-hour clock it was almost certainly a digital one, therefore if it was stopped it wouldn't be right at all because the display would be dark.

• @MiffTheFox said:

@mikeTheLiar said:

If it was a 24-hour clock it was almost certainly a digital one, therefore if it was stopped it wouldn't be right at all because the display would be dark.

You would think, wouldn't you.

12:00 AM

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@MiffTheFox said:

Not if it had an e-ink display.

I've also seen mechanical digital clocks, and there's no reason in principle why they couldn't be 24-hour clocks (except that the ones I've seen predate the adoption of the 24-hour convention). They're quite large and heavy, so you wouldn't want to be hit with one of them, whether or not you're a squirrel.

• @dhromed said:

I'm taking suggestions for how to update this saying for technologies we've invented after the clock.

• @Snowyowl said:

I'm taking suggestions for how to update this saying for technologies we've invented after the clock.
    A dead server works as expected when the power is out?

Where does the 'even' come from, though?

• @Snowyowl said:

@dhromed said:

The Xbox One plays Xbox 360 games just as well as it plays Playstation 3 games.

• @Snowyowl said:

@dhromed said:

Even random code compiles once in a while.

• @Snowyowl said:

@dhromed said:

Even a drone strike sometimes kills an actual terrorist?

• @morbiuswilters said:

@Snowyowl said:

@dhromed said:

Drone strikes always kill actual terrorists?

FTFY, they're always declared terrorists after a drone strike kills them, thus the drone strike always kills actual terrorists.  I feel sorry for any American people having to put up with your government. :(

• @drurowin said:

I feel sorry for any American people having to put up with your government.

I don't. They're aren't sending drones after us.

•  @morbiuswilters said:

@drurowin said:

[url="http://www.aclu.org/blog/tag/domestic-drones"]Oh really?[/url]

• @drurowin said:

@morbiuswilters said:

@drurowin said:

Oh really?

What have they been used for? I'm aware that it's forthcoming, but AFAIK they haven't been deployed yet.

• @morbiuswilters said:

@drurowin said:

@morbiuswilters said:

@drurowin said:

Oh really?

What have they been used for? I'm aware that it's forthcoming, but AFAIK they haven't been deployed yet.

I couldn't be arsed to read the ACLU writeup, but the gist I get is for looking for drug farms and shooting rubber bullets at rioters in Philadelphia, who shot real ones back.

• @drurowin said:

I couldn't be arsed to read the ACLU writeup...

Yeah, I couldn't either.. no threat to my freedom, no matter how severe, is enough to get me to side with the ACLU.

@drurowin said:

...shooting rubber bullets at rioters in Philadelphia, who shot real ones back.

Rioters deserve Hellfire missiles.

• Considered Harmful

@drurowin said:

shooting rubber bullets at rioters in Philadelphia, who shot real ones back.

Oh, I see the WTF. We should have sent in police, so that people might have died.

• @joe.edwards said:

@drurowin said:

Oh, I see the WTF. We should have sent in police, so that people might have died.

Or not had every yokel able to have a gun!

• ♿ (Parody)

@drurowin said:

@joe.edwards said:
    @drurowin said:

How many of the people who brought guns to a riot do you figure owned their guns legally? Especially in a shit hole like Philly.

• @boomzilla said:

@drurowin said:
    @joe.edwards said:
    @drurowin said:

How many of the people who brought guns to a riot do you figure owned their guns legally? Especially in a shit hole like Philly.

If the government cracked down on civilian ownership of guns, including destroying guns that are confiscated, then you wouldn't have such a problem.  Hell, guns are so ingrained in your culture, a major supermarket chain even advertised a "Black Friday" special on an assault rifle!

I understand that in Los Angeles, it's to the point that the local police have to wear flak jackets and carry automatic rifles in their car in "gang territory".

Edit: Went and found the ad, because no one would believe me otherwise.  It's [url="http://bfads.net/Ad/Walmart-2012/Page9"]here[/url]. It sickens me that in America they advertise guns as something normal to buy, just like a ham slicer or meat freezer.

• @drurowin said:

...because no one would believe me otherwise.

Of course I believe you. Those Black Friday specials are awesome!

@drurowin said:

It sickens me that in America they advertise guns as something normal to buy, just like a ham slicer or meat freezer.

It sickens me that you are so fucking retarded. Enjoy being raped and assaulted, dipshit.

Edit: No, we're not having this stupid fucking argument again. I've heard enough retarded bullshit from you anti-gun crybabies. Find something else to argue about..

• Considered Harmful

@drurowin said:

It sickens me that in America they advertise guns as something normal to buy, just like a ham slicer or meat freezer.

I know of one shopping center a little ways into the country that consists solely of 1) a beer/wine store, 2) a gun store, and 3) a doughnut shop.

It's the American dream.

• @joe.edwards said:

I know of one shopping center a little ways into the country that consists solely of 1) a beer/wine store, 2) a gun store, and 3) a doughnut shop.

<3 <3 <3

• ♿ (Parody)

@drurowin said:

If the government cracked down on civilian ownership of guns, including destroying guns that are confiscated, then you wouldn't have such a problem.

WTF. Just because you can't draw doesn't mean you should be this stupid.

@drurowin said:

Edit: Went and found the ad, because no one would believe me otherwise.  It's here. It sickens me that in America they advertise guns as something normal to buy, just like a ham slicer or meat freezer.

I didn't see anything there that any reasonable person would call an assault rifle. What do you have against advertising? What's wrong with buying guns? You would rather people stole them or something?

@drurowin said:

I understand that in Los Angeles, it's to the point that the local police have to wear flak jackets and carry automatic rifles in their car in "gang territory".

Racist! Also, you really do have a problem telling the difference between legal and illegal, don't you?

• @morbiuswilters said:

@joe.edwards said:

<3 <3 <3

And now I know why Americans are fat, stupid, and have too many guns.

Thanks, Internet!

• [not this shit again image macro]

Also I noticed that Imgur now has markdown in it's "copy and paste these codes" section... can.. can we hijack the thread to talk about how terrible markdown is?

• @drurowin said:

@morbiuswilters said:

@joe.edwards said:

<3 <3 <3

Thanks, Internet!

The weird thing is, you're connecting to TDWTF from the US.

• @MiffTheFox said:

can we hijack the thread to talk about how terrible markdown is?

When marking down is terrible, only hijackers will mark down.

• @morbiuswilters said:

@drurowin said:

@morbiuswilters said:

@joe.edwards said:

<3 <3 <3

Thanks, Internet!

A friend lets me proxy through his Windows Server machine so I can watch Hulu.  It goes the other way around, too, so he can watch iPlayer.

• @morbiuswilters said:

STALKER ALERT

• Get out of here, S.T.A.L.K.E.R!

• On calculated GOTOs, I used them in UI code, when the user pressed a key the input routine jumps to:

GOTO Context+Keycode*100.

The main menu context was at 10000, submenus were at 10001, 10002, etc. interleaved.

The targets would mostly be just GOTOs in the main body of the code; unless the action could be completed in a single line (like setting a new context)

I was 10, and it was just a single line BBS; and it worked.

• @drurowin said:

A friend lets me proxy through his Windows Server machine so I can watch Hulu.

Soo... you proxy all of your web traffic through another country, instead of just Hulu?

• @morbiuswilters said:

@drurowin said:

Soo... you proxy all of your web traffic through another country, instead of just Hulu?

It's a PPTP VPN, and I'm watching Family Guy in another tab.

• @drurowin said:

@morbiuswilters said:

@drurowin said:

lern2staticroute

I'm connected to several VPNs now, but I don't route my public Internet traffic over them. Otherwise I'd have been fired 10 times over for looking at crude drawings of dragons making love at automobiles.

• @morbiuswilters said:

@drurowin said:

@morbiuswilters said:

@drurowin said:

lern2staticroute

I'm connected to several VPNs now, but I don't route my public Internet traffic over them. Otherwise I'd have been fired 10 times over for looking at crude drawings of dragons making love at automobiles.

I enjoy the latency.

• @drurowin said:

@morbiuswilters said:

@drurowin said:

@morbiuswilters said:

@drurowin said:

lern2staticroute

I enjoy the latency.

So which third world country do you live in, anyway? I can't properly insult your steaming shitpile if I don't know which of the steaming shitpiles it is.

I mean, sure, I can say "Hey, look at that steaming shitpile", but I feel like I owe my loyal fans more.

• @morbiuswilters said:

So which third world country do you live in, anyway? I can't properly insult your steaming shitpile if I don't know which of the steaming shitpiles it is.

I mean, sure, I can say "Hey, look at that steaming shitpile", but I feel like I owe my loyal fans more.

Can't watch Hulu but I can watch iPlayer.  I'd say...  Great Britain.

• @drurowin said:

Can't watch Hulu but I can watch iPlayer.

I can't keep track of which backwards society is which. Some of you have malaria, some of you have the BBC.

•  @morbiuswilters said:

@drurowin said:

I can't keep track of which backwards society is which. Some of you have malaria, some of you have the BBC.

At least we don't have [url="http://abcnews.go.com/US/kentucky-cop-killed-premeditated-ambush/story?id=19265234"]policemen getting ambushed and killed[/url].

• @drurowin said:

@morbiuswilters said:

@drurowin said:

At least we don't have policemen getting ambushed and killed.

Heh, Go

• @Ben L. said:

@drurowin said:

@morbiuswilters said:

@drurowin said:

Heh, Go

Hey, I had to work it in there somewhere.

• @drurowin said:

@morbiuswilters said:

@drurowin said:

Didn't you just have a soldier hacked to death in the middle of a busy street in broad daylight and nobody did anything about it?

Also, I'm pretty sure I read about a British cop being murdered not that long ago. And I don't even read the news.

• @morbiuswilters said:

@drurowin said:

@morbiuswilters said:

@drurowin said:

Didn't you just have a soldier hacked to death in the middle of a busy street in broad daylight and nobody did anything about it?

Also, I'm pretty sure I read about a British cop being murdered not that long ago. And I don't even read the news.

Those were both by terrorists.  We have the same problems you guys do, except minus the school shootings, random gang killings, and women missing for 10 years that not one fuck was given about.

• @drurowin said:

Those were both by terrorists.

Ah, I see, it's not really murder, then.

@drurowin said:

We have the same problems you guys do...

I don't remember us having a problem with soldiers getting hacked apart in the streets by Muslims. Maybe that's because we're not a bunch of pathetic, cowering pussies who aren't even permitted by their own government to defend themselves..

@drurowin said:

...except minus the school shootings, random gang killings, and women missing for 10 years that not one fuck was given about.

You have all those things, plus higher rates of burglary, rape and violent crime!

Seriously, though, I don't give a shit. If you want to disarms yourselves and die pissing yourself like a little girl, then that's fine by me; every anti-gun dipshit that dies makes me happy.