Discourse DMZ

• My profile "All" page only makes it to "one day ago" before crashing (getting to roughly 800MB usage right before dying) on my laptop (i5, 4GB of RAM). I have 31K items in that list.

• ♿ (Parody)

@eviltrout said:

A lot of the debate should have been more clear it was about the default, and I'm not sure we ever communicated that the json API still had the old stuff.

We're savvy enough to notice the json stuff still being there. But we can't easily restore a column to the view.

• @eviltrout

Serious, professional question.

Does the discourse team have a design document that they are developing to? Did you have one originally, and now you're just winging it? Did you wing it from the start? Does it have a goal other than 'Implement cool features for the next 10 years!'?

• :belt_onion:

@Kuro said:

Something that bothers me and I can't remember if it has been adressed is the fact that scrolling breaks the "Quote"-Button (and the highlighted text)

Oh right - also, in chrome, clicking the " (quote mark) in the Highlight Quote Popup just closes the popup but does not actually start a new post with the quote. According to the mouse and the button, the " is part of the button, so why the fuck does it not actually trigger the button when it is clicked.

This would only be at least the THIRD TIME I'VE COMPLAINED ABOUT THIS VERY EASY TO FIX BUG.

@eviltrout said:

I know there's gold posts in here but do we have to talk about every single thing in one place?

Well you complained about them being in different places and being hard to find, so now we put them in one place and it's still no good?!

@darkmatter said:

This would only be at least the THIRD TIME I'VE COMPLAINED ABOUT THIS VERY EASY TO FIX BUG.

Fuck it. Fixed that shit myself in my personal css stylish because it was stealing my clicks like 1 out of every 5 times I try to highlight quote.
    [code]
    .fa-quote-right { pointer-events: none; }
    [/code]
    Works in Chrome (and IE11+ and probably Firefox). IE10- and Opera are still fucked but I don't give a shit about them.

• I'll do ya one better and make it work in IE10 and probably IE9 and Opera as well:

.fa-quote-right { display:none; }
    .quote-button:before {
        content: "\f10e";
        font-family: FontAwesome;
    }

Looks to work in IE10 (only able to test in IE11 emulating IE10).

cc @PJH if you wanna drop this in to fix issues with quote replying not working.

@ChaosTheEternal said:

.fa-quote-right { display:none; }

That was what I had started to do initially, but I'm more familiar with the pointer-events:none trick for chrome and didn't feel like tinkering with trying to find the FontAwesome glyph and where to do the :before css.

I'm sure we've just broken some random hidden dicsourse button somewhere that relies on the .fa-quote-right class to exist, be visible, and accept clicks.

Also if @PJH is editing css again, put in this one:
    [code]
    .user-main .about .controls {
    background: rgba(34,34,34,0.2);
    width: 315px;
    float: right;
    }
    [/code]
    To make the profile not have that awful ass zero transparency dark bar over the image:

versus before:

lol need to remember one thing!

• Email address shows in your own profile, yeah.

I'm not the only one bitten by it.

That makes me at least the 3rd or 4th person to do it.

• Technically, you don't need a width, because it'll use the size of the buttons for layout. Unless you want it consistent when you look at someone else's profile:

With width:

Without width:

@ChaosTheEternal said:

Technically, you don't need a width, because it'll use the size of the buttons for layout. Unless you want it consistent when you look at someone else's profile:

Err. It does not do that if you look at your own profile.
    At least not in chrome. Mine is 100% width by no doing of my own.

@ChaosTheEternal said:

Technically, you don't need a width, because it'll use the size of the buttons for layout. Unless you want it consistent when you look at someone else's profile:

And yeah that's annoying that it is too big when looking at other's pages... and odd how it spaces, since the private message doesn't lock to the left on your own profile page.

• Adding your styles for float and background (and getting rid of my bg image and email address), here's what I get:

@darkmatter said:

since the private message doesn't lock to the left on your own profile page

Your own profile page doesn't have a private message button.

With your darker background it isn't as noticeable that it's doing that though:

@ChaosTheEternal said:

Your own profile page doesn't have a private message button.

right - duh. so it's a failure of consistency in not allowing the different possible buttons to all align to the same side.
    Dicsourse for the win.

Also, I notice there is a single result for searching my email on google. Time to clean that shit out.

• BINNED

@eviltrout said:

That would help me an awful lot.

... Because my current bug tracking practices are not enough.

Don't get me wrong ... It's a remark between professionals.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@boomzilla said:

How do you keep an eye on that and prioritize it?

Number of likes? Oh, wait....

@darkmatter said:

Who the hell ever scrolls up in dicsourse. that's just begging for trouble in infiniscroll land.

Click a notification, note that you've missed posts between that one and the last one you read and scroll back up...

@blakeyrat said:

Oh we also lost Dhromed

I'm not entirely sure what happened to @dhromed, he simply disappeared. Someone using the Nagesh account is still posting on CS.

@Kuro said:

Not sure about what @PJH thinks about [heatmaps] (because I am too lazy to search right now).

I've not expressed an opinion because my thoughts on the insanity has been better expressed by others.

@Kuro said:

There is an admin-system. And from what I have seen it doesn't even look all that bad (but @PJH should be the judge of that here, since I mostly only saw it from his Screenshots).

Mobile version could do with some work but it's largely bug free. Admin pages for badges is a pain to load on here due to /t/1000.

@eviltrout said:

We could have written up a few words on how to put the like column back in no plugin, etc.

That's actually possible?! How? Would have saved a lot of grief!

@ChaosTheEternal said:

cc @PJH if you wanna drop this in to fix issues with quote replying not working.

Remind me Monday if I haven't done it by then. Mobile atm and don't want to change that sort of thing away from a desktop.

@ChaosTheEternal said:

Email address shows in your own profile, yeah.

Guess what I almost did when posting someone else's profile page over on meta.d a while back. And I complained. And was ACKd as a problem by Jeff. And it's still there.

@PJH said:

Click a notification, note that you've missed posts between that one and the last one you read and scroll back up...

I won't click a notification if it is for a topic I'm not at the end of already for this exact reason.
    Because Dicsourse won't tell you you have unread posts anymore if you get to the end of a topic and missed stuff in the middle.

@PJH said:

Mobile version could do with some work but it's largely bug free.

If you actually get the mobile version.
    My mobile device browser loads desktop version unless I spoof an iPhone user agent because @codlnghorror doesn't think my browser is important enough, and fuck that.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@darkmatter said:

I won't click a notification if it is for a topic I'm not at the end of already for this exact reason.

Nice to see I'm not alone in doing this particular workaround. Had to do this for this topic as it happens...

When I load the forum, i open the notification list to see what's up. Then I just read the topics as normal, and once I've read everything I cared about I check the notification list to see if anything is still marked unread.

Once I've already read everything and been sitting here doing other things like right now and see a new notification, I check the notification list and then look to see if I have the topic already open in a tab. If I don't, that is the only time I'll ever click (right click-open in new tab) a new notification link - and even then I sometimes go reload the topic list and click the topic there so I can start from where I left off instead of skipping. If it's a hot topic that I have a reasonable expectation there will be a lot of posts in, I'll open it from the topic list.

ANNOYING. WEE.

• @PJH said:

Guess what I almost did when posting someone else's profile page over on meta.d a while back.

I remember. We keep bringing it up, I know, but that's because it remains a problem, even if Atwood won't acknowledge it.

• The difference is he did, said it was a good idea and they should do it, then never changed it.

• I only consider him as acknowledging it when it is worked on or fixed. We've all seen enough to know we shouldn't trust his words until he proves it.

• Even then. Regressions intentional or otherwise you know.

• ♿ (Parody)

@darkmatter said:

Because Dicsourse won't tell you you have unread posts anymore if you get to the end of a topic and missed stuff in the middle.

I did that on this topic just this morning. Motherfucker...I'm usually pretty careful about that.

• @loopback0 said:

Maybe but there do seem to be bigger issues which have been around for a while while fairly minor (and arguably lower priority) ones like this get fixed quickly.

"Low hanging fruit".

• @faoileag said:

"Low hanging fruit".

Picking the low hanging fruit is fine, as long as you don't lose sight of the fact the tree needs cutting down.

• @tufty said:

Picking the low hanging fruit is fine, as long as you don't lose sight of the fact the tree needs cutting down.

Just read this post from Robin and didn't know what to say. I couldn't even come up with some snark.

If that's their development process, that really explains a lot.

• The fuck?

No, seriously. What the fucking fuck do this bunch of cowboys think they are doing, and how the fuck do they manage to get paying customers to accept this shit?

• @tufty said:

The fuck?

No, seriously. What the fucking fuck do this bunch of cowboys think they are doing, and how the fuck do they manage to get paying customers to accept this shit?

Yeah, that's why I couldn't come up with a good reply or even a witty riposte.

So every developer uses his own project management tool. picks whatever he finds interesting from the "bug" category and that's it? And if you want to know who's working on what bug you have to ping all developers like "Are you working on ..."? I mean, the developers don't even post statuses, like "working on this right now"

This might work if all the developers were sharing the same room, but in this case they don't even all share the same continent, let alone timezone.

Definitely the worst development process I have seen so far, at least for a project the size of Discourse.

• I've seen some directionless projects in my time but nothing this bad before.

• @Yamikuronue said:

Fuck it. @eviltrout Here's a list of bugs that may or may not be fixed yet, we're not sure:

Like it. Because, with their process, establishing the status might take considerable effort :-)

Filed under: seriously, @eviltrout, get a decent bug tracking system.

• @blakeyrat said:

3) Atwood, God-Emperor of Dune-- er, Discourse

Not to forget "Chief prophet of TCotCDCK"!

• @boomzilla said:

Sigh...

Yes, but not displaying topics created by a suspended user is stupid, because it also takes the topic away from all the not suspended users who replied to it.

Not displaying topics created by a suspended user is stupid 2 if your bug tracking system is a forum software that doesn't display topics by suspended members.

• Pretty sure it displays topics for suspended users, pretty sure Jeff just deletes my topics on principle.

• @eviltrout said:

> Seems like a better approach would have been to edit it down, leaving a description and acknowledging the bug.

I'd hardly call that bug report civilized. It had bowser in it and was designed to overload the memory of any client that opened it.

It doesn't matter if the bug report is civilized or not, you don't delete it.

Edit out the not civilized bits: fine. But you don't delete it.

Punish the poster by suspending the account: fine, as long as an explanation is sent to the user as to why the account has been suspended. But you don't delete the topic.

You have chosen to use Discourse as your bug tracking system. If you delete reports of serious bugs, how will you ever track them???

• If the bug isn't in your bug Tracker it doesn't exist. Come on faoileag. Why else would they delete old bug reports?

• @Matches said:

If the bug isn't in your bug Tracker it doesn't exist. Come on faoileag. Why else would they delete old bug reports?

Stupid /me. Of course.

Filed under: Now it all comes back... "People, we are down to only 200 open bugs! I've deleted all with severity 'C' and 'D'!"

• Critical and destroy bugs?

• @eviltrout said:

I'm fully aware that you can scroll most browsers to death on the user streams. It sucks and I'm unhappy with it. I think we're going to have to take another approach.

Perhaps by unloading from the DOM as new loading happens?

I mean, you know how to avoid the issue when users scroll down topics, so why don't you use the same approach with posts lists???

• That statement made me wonder, so I went to the topic list... It does in fact go back to may 21st with no problems at all.

Not only that, but they don't appear to unload any of the topics from the DOM

• @Matches said:

Critical and destroy bugs?

No, those were actually treated in a more serious manner, like "showstopper - drop everything you do, fix this asap!!!"

The 'C' and 'D" bugs were minor ones, more often than not already labelled "Can't repro.".

Minor bugs in a multi-threading environment? Perhaps two byers out of ten thousand notice the bug as well. Better attend to the ones that 5000 out of 10000 byers will notice.

• @Matches said:

That statement made me wonder, so I went to the topic list... It does in fact go back to may 21st with no problems at all.

Not only that, but they don't appear to unload any of the topics from the DOM

Actually, to a certain degree, I don't blame Discourse for it. However much memory Discourse needs, the browser should provide it.

If the OS has the means to provide the memory, but the browser doesn't utilize them, it's the browser's fault.

If the OS is so crappy that it can't handle such situations, it's the OSs fault.

However, as a web developer, I know that most users don't know that. And that if my software crashes due to the browser's or the OS's inability to deal with my demands, I will be on the receiving end of the blame.

So I have to write software that accommodates both the browser's and the OS's shortcomings.

If it is possible.

• @eviltrout said:

I wouldn't be against pages on the user stream, I just think a search would be more useful.

Then do it. It shouldn't be too difficult - you already can filter search to only take into account a single topic, so adding a filter for a specific user should be a matter of minutes. Just a changed WHERE clause.

• My point was it works fine for the topic list. What's different about the profile page that it causes a crash?

I would venture a bet it's a view over several tables with a bad join/bad index which is causing it to appear unresponsive to the browser, and cause the crash. (Think 'not responding' winform application that doesn't take advantage of background threads properly)