Do I? Don't I? Advice plz.

• BINNED

@riking said:

> Fatal error: Argument 1 passed to lolphp() must be an instance of string, string given in /in/qWENe on line 6

Yeah, that thing... I already bitched about that. It does actually say exactly what the problem is:

Fatal error: Argument 1 passed to lolphp() must be an instance of string, string given in /in/qWENe on line 6

string is not a class in PHP. It's the old C style array of characters. Type hinting works only on classes in PHP, at least currently.

I'm thinking about wrapping all the primitives in classes just so I can use type hinting myself, as much as I hate it. Don't get me wrong, strings will benefit from it, I can create a sane interface and avoid all the stupid inconsistent functions in that case, but it's kinda an overkill for integers and floats and such.

But yeah, that's PHP doing the SMF - don't break backwards compatibility, don't cram shit that could break code in. Why they didn't create wrappers themselves, I do not know.

• The performance metrics on Symfony, Laravel, etc is complete crap. In fact they are so bad, they are literally right next to ASP.net. Fuck, even Django/python out perform them.

Phalcon on the other hand which is an C level extension to PHP has great performance.
    PHPixie is also interesting if you ignore the heavy use of fairies and pink to market the framework. Granted both of those don't have the billions of classes like symfony does to abstract everything. But forums can be high demand applications from experience(managed 3 server cluster once that supported IPB) and you really want to squeeze the most you got.

• I'll try to remember to respond to this when I'm back on my computer tomorrow. Too difficult on mobile.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@tufty said:

Unless by "v1" you're referring to the German pulse-jet powered flying bomb, which took to the air with a mighty farting sound, and then came down, usually way off target, some time later, destroying all around it.

Quoted for great justice!

@delfinom said:

Madness, PHP can be beautiful if done right. Which is of course rare. But the articles here more than an example of how other languages aren't any better at preventing stupid from stupid people.

The determinedly stupid can manage to cause problems in anything. But that doesn't mean that we should sit back and let them get away with it. Sometimes, you've got to be a bit of a bastard and show the idiots the door: yes, it will upset them, but you still shouldn't be letting them continue to leave little brown presents all over the carpet.

Sometimes you've got just bite the bullet and break with some of the past to enable the future. It can help if you understand what about the past was truly interesting to most of your users, and it can also help if you're prepared to say “we'll give up on this goal to enable all these other ones”. That's a tough decision to take, but if you never take it, you will end up stuck in a dead end, dying of irrelevance.

• @dkf said:

The determinedly stupid can manage to cause problems in anything. But that doesn't mean that we should sit back and let them get away with it. Sometimes, you've got to be a bit of a bastard and show the idiots the door: yes, it will upset them, but you still shouldn't be letting them continue to leave little brown presents all over the carpet.

Sometimes you've got just bite the bullet and break with some of the past to enable the future. It can help if you understand what about the past was truly interesting to most of your users, and it can also help if you're prepared to say “we'll give up on this goal to enable all these other ones”. That's a tough decision to take, but if you never take it, you will end up stuck in a dead end, dying of irrelevance.

Don't see how changing the language will stop them from getting away from it. Considering I've already encountered stupid of equal magnitudes in the "alternatives"(Rails, NodeJS, C#/ASP) except for Go and Python.

@delfinom said:

Don't see how changing the language will stop them from getting away from it. Considering I've already encountered stupid of equal magnitudes in the "alternatives"(Rails, NodeJS, C#/ASP) except for Go and Python.

It won't. It's a problem for any long-lasting software system.

@Arantor ought to learn more languages to get more exposure to different ways of thinking about and tackling problems. It'll help him become a better programmer in general.

• There are right ways and wrong ways. Python did it the wrong way. After 8 years, they still have effectively zero Python 3 adoption. C++ did it the wrong way. How many people out there are using D?

C# does it right, naturally, because it does everything right and it's awesome. But it had the cheating advantage of being well-designed from the get-go.

If there's a way to upgrade PHP and still have it maintain its userbase, I don't see it. It's just too crufty and there's just too much code out there reliant on it. Enough that it dwarfs the Python 2 ecosystem, and Python couldn't pull-off an update.

The way forward is to make a new language with the best ideas, and slooooooowly migrate people to it. Think about the VB6 to VB.net switch, except even longer.

Of course that couldn't work, either, because the people in charge of the language are idiots.

• @blakeyrat said:

The way forward is to make a new language with the best ideas, and slooooooowly migrate people to it. Think about the VB6 to VB.net switch, except even longer.

Disagree. VB.Net pretty much killed Visual Basic as a language. Most VB6 devs remained in the VB6 ghetto or moved to PHP or whatever. No one's using VB.Net.

• Well fair enough, but I don't see "killing off current PHP" as being a bad thing necessarily. Unless you're Zend.

• @blakeyrat said:

Well fair enough, but I don't see "killing off current PHP" as being a bad thing necessarily. Unless you're Zend.

Oh no, PHP can burn.

Although it'll be interesting to see whether Hack can gain momentum, or if they'll suffer the fate of VB.Net.

• What is hack?

Hack is a programming language for HHVM

What is HHVM?

HHVM is an open-source virtual machine designed for executing programs written in Hack

What is Hack?

Hack is a programming language for HHVM

What is HHVM?

HHVM is an open-source virtual machine designed for executing programs written in Hack

Wha

To preempt someone else making this dumb-ass joke: "hey guys do you think Hack has stack overflow errors LOLOLZ!?"

@cartman82 said:

it'll be interesting to see whether Hack can gain momentum

That's the first I've heard of them, and I've seen all sorts of esoteric stuff.
    Prognosis: not too good…

@cartman82 said:

VB.Net pretty much killed Visual Basic as a language.

It helped that the main vendor of the main implementation moved things over pretty unilaterally, and that it was a language by that point dominated by that (commercial) implementation.

@blakeyrat said:

C# does it right, naturally, because it does everything right and it's awesome. But it had the cheating advantage of being well-designed from the get-go.

They had the advantage of being able to look at Java and react to that, especially in the first version (after which things have diverged). On one level, it could be regarded as people taking a second attempt at writing a language in that space (or even a third version, if you include J# as version 2). They've also got some really good language designers, people who know what not to do as well as what to do.

Funnily enough, Java's another language that does pretty well on the not-breaking-things front, almost to the point where it's arguably still really on the first major version of the software system. (At times, I wish they'd be a little bit more keen in breaking things — there are a few really boneheaded errors in there — but I can see why they don't want to.)

• @dkf said:

That's the first I've heard of them, and I've seen all sorts of esoteric stuff.Prognosis: not too good…

Look at the copyright at the bottom of that page. I gather you'll start hearing about it more in the coming months.

@cartman82 said:

I gather you'll start hearing about it more in the coming months.

Maybe, but it's not showed up anywhere like Rosetta Code yet — not even in areas like “show how to write comments” or “do a barrel roll hello world” — and all sorts of things show up there early. Perhaps FB are focussing on their internal uses of it for now (or are so thoroughly arrogant as to assume that their shit only needs to be promoted through their own site… which would be entirely possible.)

• BINNED

@dkf said:

Sometimes, you've got to be a bit of a bastard and show the idiots the door: yes, it will upset them, but you still shouldn't be letting them continue to leave little brown presents all over the carpet.

QFT!

• @cartman82 said:

Oh no, PHP can burn.

Although it'll be interesting to see whether Hack can gain momentum, or if they'll suffer the fate of VB.Net.

Fate of VB.net? What, I think vb.net was a great thing. Microsoft created an upgrade path to go from stone-age level VB6 to modern level VB.net. This exposed it to the greater .NET framework which allowed slow migration to C#. Using it for new applications however is not something I would advise hehe

My god am I glad I don't have to stare at multiple timer events being used as fucking threads in VB6.

• @blakeyrat said:

Python did it the wrong way. After 8 years, they still have effectively zero Python 3 adoption.

@blakeyrat said:
    The way forward is to make a new language with the best ideas, and slooooooowly migrate people to it.

Doesn't that second statement contradict the first? Breaking backwards compatibility is sort-of like making a new language, and the slowly migrating part fits as well.

@cartman82 said:

Look at the copyright at the bottom of that page.

Facebook

Ah. Related to this perchance?

Python's problem is that they made some big breaks in things that almost all code uses, meaning that third party libraries need a reasonable amount of attention to migrate. It's not that it's hard to do the migration (though it might be in some cases) but rather that a lot of libraries simply don't have all that much attention lavished on them most of the time: they're developed to the point where they work well enough, and then the developer goes on to something else. Lots of open source software works like that, especially stuff that isn't directly user-facing.

A commercially-supported library wouldn't have this problem (inb4blakeyrant) but the pickings available to support a company doing this sort of thing are very slim; the current approach is more likely to be Pareto-optimal.

Just caught this before closing that page btw:

Nullable Types are supported by Hack through use of the ? operator. This introduces a safer way to deal with nulls and is very useful for primitive types that don’t generally allow null as one of their values, such as bool and int (using ?bool and ?int respectively). The operator can be used on any type or class.

FILE_NOT_FOUND.

• @cartman82 said:

Disagree. VB.Net pretty much killed Visual Basic as a language. Most VB6 devs remained in the VB6 ghetto or moved to PHP or whatever. No one's using VB.Net.

You'd make a valid point if you weren't entirely wrong.

• Ahhh, got it. Now I don't feel so bad for this community.

• Seriously, there is a huge spike for all VB this month...

Also this:

This is quite surprising for two reasons. Visual Basic .NET is the successor of Microsoft's well-beloved classic Visual Basic 6.0 version. Since Visual Basic .NET needed to run on Microsoft's .NET platform, the language has changed drastically. Many software engineers refused to migrate to Visual Basic .NET. For this reason, Visual Basic .NET has been criticized through the years. The other reason why this is surprising is that Microsoft seemed to slow down further development of Visual Basic .NET. For example, the latest Visual Studio version 2013 doesn't contain any new Visual Basic .NET language features.

That said, I don't know anyone who uses VB.NET in production, while there are a lot of legacy VB6 apps still being maintained.

• Here's the VSM article that I normally point people towards on the topic:

EDIT: whoa, that was in my bookmarks, just below an old "AngularJS vs Ember" blog posting on this @eviltrout guy's site.

@blakeyrat said:

So my next recommendation: eat Chinese food.

That's always a good plan!

• Banned

@chubertdev said:

EDIT: whoa, that was in my bookmarks, just below an old "AngularJS vs Ember" blog posting on this @eviltrout guy's site.

Is that article any good?

• From what I could tell, but I'm not exactly an expert of the client-side frameworks.

• @DoctorJones said:

>blakeyrat said:
    So my next recommendation: eat Chinese food.

That's always a good plan!

Not always. From my personal experience, it's not a good plan in Lexington, KY.

Filed under: There's more to kung pao than soy sauce.

@HardwareGeek said:

Filed under: There's more to kung pao than soy sauce.

Is the issue that there wasn't anything more to kung pao than soy sauce in Lexington, or that there was and you wish that there wasn't that particular thing involved?

• The former, at least if you don't go to the one or two acceptable (not good, there aren't any) places.

• @dkf said:

there wasn't anything more to kung pao than soy sauce in Lexington

Pretty much this. It was a long time ago, but my memory was their "kung pao" was not much more than soy sauce and peanuts. Kung pao is supposed to be spicy; theirs was about as spicy as distilled water.

• @locallunatic said:

The former, at least if you don't go to the one or two acceptable (not good, there aren't any) places.

Visiting a potential customer. Customer said the restaurant was good. He was wrong.

• BINNED

@Arantor said:

If it wasn't like 3am, Chinese food would totally rock, too.

Then have pizza or a kebab ...

• Except at that point in time I was going to bed not that long after 3am...

These days I'm back to my ridiculous nocturnal hours of 6am bedtime.

• @Arantor said:

These days I'm back to my ridiculous nocturnal hours of 6am bedtime.

Holy crap, that's when I get in the car to head to work...

• I'm a morning person. I stay up until the morning.

@Arantor said:

Yes, seriously. An open source project based around developing a piece of software regards developers as equal importance to support people, to doc writers, to marketers etc.

Marxists. More or less literally, (illiterately) economically speaking. Labor theory of value, right?

@ben_lubar said:

Some good ones:

No mention of Malbolge?

• Shit, I forgot about that one. That one is great.

Someone once wrote a genetic algorithm or something to produce valid Malbolge programs, because it's so difficult to be able to write one yourself.

• Malbolge is like a non-writable version of perl.

• Sounds like the origins of most high level languages.

• BINNED

@reverendryan said:

Holy crap, that's when I get in the car to head to work...

That's when I've already had an hour of work under my belt.

Filed Under: Aaaand 4 cups of coffee...