The Official Status Thread

• FoxDev

since i was active on the site as the bots likes like crazy i got those notifications too, i was somewhat able to keep up with the torrent...

still.... wow.

• @accalia said:

(also @pjh i've had my fun how, turning the likes limit back to something reasonable would probably be a good idea...)

Don't be selfish, some of us are still catching up 😄

• BINNED

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@HardwareGeek said:

Status: Looking at almost 90 "Good Post" notifications, because somebody has been catching up.

Only 90?

• BINNED

Status: travelling home and skimming trough some documentation. Ran into this:

void QNetworkRequest::swap(QNetworkRequest & other)

Swaps this network request with other. This function is very fast and never fails.

This function was introduced in Qt 5.0.

A bold statement, Qt. A bold statement indeed.

• This post is deleted!

• Status: The scientists have broken their very favouritest toy - both of its redundant power supplies shat themselves within 48 hours of each other. Thankfully the manufacturer is still offering support even though they got out of that line of business a while ago and can ship replacements by next week.

Moral: never believe your users when they tell you that there's no support available for something. Trust but verify!

• @Luhmann said:

So few? Woke up with 300 of those suckers

If I hadn't taken a peek last night, I'd be over 600 right now.

• Status: making fun of Blakeycat for begging to come in at the front door while the back door is wide open.

She doesn't get it.

@blakeyrat said:

She doesn't get it.

Status: amused you think that's the case, and that she isn't fucking with you.

• Status: Traveled 150km to take a look at a used Mercedes A 170. There wasn't a picture or even an add, but it was described as something special by the seller. When I finally got there, yeah the car looked damn sweet. Leather seats, perfect condition, great price. Except...

"Is that... automatic transmission? FUCK! I just wasted a day. What am I, a stupid American klutz? I can handle my stick, thank you very much, I don't need this fucking baby toy-car shit.... Well, I might as well give it a spin before going home..."

5 minutes later.

"Ho-ly shit. Automatic transmission ROCKS! Why the fuck are they even making cars with stupid stick shift? What the fuck is wrong with Europeans? What are we, cavemen? Thank God for smart practical Americans to show us the One True Way".

Left down-payment on the spot and took a set of keys. Paperwork coming in a week or two. Car-hunt completed.

• @cartman82 said:

"Is that... automatic transmission? FUCK! I just wasted a day. What am I, a stupid American klutz? I can handle my stick, thank you very much, I don't need this fucking baby toy-car shit.... Well, I might as well give it a spin before going home..."

I can understand not wanting an automatic to save a bit of money (like... maybe $900 or so. It's not very expensive compared to the rest of the car.) Or to save gas (even though that hasn't been relevant in like 20 years.) But because you think it'll make you look like a klutz? Seriously?

Europeans have some major issues with their brains. You know what Americans do that Europeans (apparently) do not? Actually try things before determining that we like or dislike them.

Come to think of this, I think we've had this discussion before, and I asked, "what do Europeans think of continuously-variable transmissions like the one in my Fusion Hybrid?" and the answer was something fucking stupid.

• Ok, that was a bit of a dramatization. I was actually only slightly biased on the matter. But I'm not really a car guy and ultimately didn't care that much.

On the other hand, my parents (who were with me) were dead set against the automatic. Mostly because they used to have automatic like 20 years ago and it sucked. Of course, they completely missed the fact technology might have advanced a bit in the meantime.

But yeah, right now, it seems it's a combination of stubbornness, ignorance and self-image with most Europeans.

To this day I hear people railing against "slushboxes." I've never had an automatic that I didn't learn fairly quickly where the shift points were, and how to use the gas pedal to control the shift, so I never understood that complaint. And my oldest car was an '82 Celebrity.

I keep thinking--everyone tells me I should learn to drive stick, but I do all my driving in stop and go city traffic, and the idea of having to shift constantly too? Ugh, no thanks.

@blakeyrat said:

But because you think it'll make you look like a klutz? Seriously?

People will do the dumbest things to avoid thinking that they're looking stupid in front of their friends. It gets easier when you tell yourself that, and it explains just so much about the idiocy in this world. Add in a dash of Dunning-Kruger and lots of alcohol and you've covered about 85% of the reason for nearly everything.

I learned on manual shift, and I drive manual shift, but I do like automatics. Especially in a hire car; one less thing to get used to when trying to get out of the airport car lot…

• My first car was a manual 1986 Mitsibitshi Cordia-L. My second was a manual 1996 Dodge Neon. Both of those cars were purchased in a situation where "really cheap" was the main concern. (Although I loved that Cordia. Shouldn't have ever sold it, sigh.) But the point is: I know manual.

I bought an automatic because commuting in a manual sucks ass. Slow-moving traffic is always almost exactly right between 1st and 2nd gear, so you either run the engine too fast in 1st, almost stall the fucking thing in 2nd, or have to shift every 8 seconds. It was a 2004 PT Cruiser and, while you guys are probably going to tell me how much you hate the styling, it was a great reliable car that I liked a lot.

I'd never go back to a manual. Partially because my driving situation makes driving a manual near-torture, partially because I plan on buying hybrid or electric cars in the future and manuals are a non-option on those anyway.

Speaking of cars, I went grocery shopping today and noticed the engine service light came on. But there was no alert dialog on the car computer-- weird! Oh well, I have a "vehicle health report" feature to tell me what the issue is. I run that, and it comes up with...

The powertrain control module has detected an evaporative emission control system fault.

Seriously!? The old standby "you didn't put the gas cap on quick enough" error? That still exists in 2014 model year cars?! Jesus shit.

Bonus WTF: my car doesn't even have a gas cap! It's one of those capless filler flap thing systems. So I'm not even sure what I'm supposed to do about it except hope the light goes off after a couple days. Geez.

• Status: Applying updates after reinstalling Windows 7. Currently at update 22/171.

Filed under: It’s actually going faster than I though it would

@blakeyrat said:

Slow-moving traffic is always almost exactly right between 1st and 2nd gear, so you either run the engine too fast in 1st, almost stall the fucking thing in 2nd, or have to shift every 8 seconds.

It's a bit easier with a diesel engine, as they are happier at low revs than a petrol engine. It also depends on the details of the gearbox, which varies quite a bit between makers.

Automatics are still nicer in heavy traffic, though there's nothing quite as satisfying as knowing how to use a manual to leave other traffic standing at a junction. Especially when it combines with rolling up at the perfect moment, just exactly the minimum deceleration into the junction, and the perfect transfer to putting the power on at the apex of the curve. Fun!

• @dkf said:

Automatics are still nicer in heavy traffic, though there's nothing quite as satisfying as knowing how to use a manual to leave other traffic standing at a junction.

Right; and I get the opportunity to do that maybe... once a decade?

I guess if you live in Bumblefuck, Kansas, there you go. Here, in civilization, there are too many cars around.

• @blakeyrat said:

It was a 2004 PT Cruiser and, while you guys are probably going to tell me how much you hate the styling, it was a great reliable car that I liked a lot.

What was your tragedy?

• I like the 50s-esque styling, I went to the lot, test-drove one and bought it. New. The Touring edition, with the upgraded engine and spoiler. I loved that it was a car, but you sat upright like in a van or SUV and have a great view of the road. It had great cargo capacity, was inexpensive and reliable. No problems in the first 8 years of ownership, long past when the warranty expired. Got 0% financing (although my trade-in Neon wasn't worth shit.)

I have no regrets. In 2004, PT Cruisers were hot shit.

I lied, I have one regret: I should have gotten a sun roof.

• @blakeyrat said:

Right; and I get the opportunity to do that maybe... once a decade?

I guess if you live in Bumblefuck, Kansas, there you go. Here, in civilization, there are too many cars around.

Not to mention that the answer to that is simple:

My car doesn't have a ton of power, but when I put my foot down, it goes.

I learned how to drive stick on a '94 Jeep Cherokee in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains outside of Taos, NM. Mastered hill starts with no problems. Drove around town. Then wondered why anyone would choose to buy that type of transmission. Stubbornness is it, I guess.

Current status: listening to Car Talk. 😢

• Garbage Person

@blakeyrat said:

I loved that it was a car, but you sat upright like in a van or SUV and have a great view of the road
    TIL Blakeyrat is female.

• @Weng said:

TIL Blakeyrat is female.

I was thinking more of a windowless, panel van.

• Oh man there's a car club around here that drives those Ariel Atoms, they got like 6-7 members. Damned things are street-legal. Every so often you see a train of 4-6 Ariel Atoms just driving down the freeway like it ain't no thang.

Awesome vehicle.

• @chubertdev said:

I was thinking more of a windowless, panel van.

You have discovered my secret. I am a panel van.

And I am not female until I set my avatar to this:

• "Hey kids, you want some free blakey?"

• @blakeyrat said:

Oh man there's a car club around here that drives those Ariel Atoms, they got like 6-7 members. Damned things are street-legal. Every so often you see a train of 4-6 Ariel Atoms just driving down the freeway like it ain't no thang.

Awesome vehicle.

Damn lucky. I have to settle for living near La Jolla and Rancho Santa Fe, so I only see GT3 RS caravans.

@blakeyrat said:

There's very few places I can do it anywhere near here. A couple of roundabouts on a high-speed section of road (that isn't a motorway), that's all. Everywhere else, it's no chance. (The streets would be better, but they're parked solid most of the time.)

If I go 30 miles away, there's some quite good driving country. Not fast, but interesting roads. Lots of little curves and dips and brows. There's some terrible urban driving between here and there though, and the NIMBY brigade don't want that changed (and have a lot of local political power, alas).

Status: Sleep, then off to airport to go to “sunny” Portland, OR! Discoursing likely to be very limited over the next week.

(Actually, here is one of the few parts of the world where I can say that non-ironically: it really is sunnier in the Pacific Northwest than in this part of the UK.)

@blakeyrat said:

It was a 2004 PT Cruiser

I rented one of those once and hated it. The styling wasn't so bad, but the engine would rev like crazy but not produce much acceleration.

@dkf said:

leave other traffic standing at a junction.

OTOH you can do the same thing to someone who doesn't know what they're doing with a stick, if you know how to drive an automatic well.

As always, it comes down to knowing your tool and how to use it.

@blakeyrat said:

Here, in civilization, there are too many cars around.

So you're never the first car at a red light? Maybe you should stop running them.

@blakeyrat said:

sat upright like in a van or SUV and have a great view of the road.

You'd think they'd do that more.

• FoxDev

Status: Burning in new computer Tsukiyomi to replace Amaterasu as my gaming rig

• @FrostCat said:

So you're never the first car at a red light?

Why would I have to gun it if I were?

• BECAUSE YOU NEED TO BE THE FIRST PERSON TO EVER ARRIVE!!!!!ONE!!!!

Seriously, so many people drive that way. I was driving home from lunch today in the right lane (two lanes per direction, divided), and a car trying to turn right from a side street nearly hit me since he was so eager to get on the road. We hit the stop light at the same time, and he's about 5 feet past the stop bar, I'm 10 feet behind it. He guns it when the light turns green, I slowly accelerate in my wife's Civic (don't want to upset the dogs in the back seat, or spill my milkshake), and we hit traffic at the next light around the same time.

What, this isn't the driving anti-pattern thread?

• Current status: watching Downloaded

• Garbage Person

Conclusion: If our customers didn't ask us to do stupid shit and let us design things properly, this platform could outrun every piece of manufacturing production hardware that it's capable of feeding work to. Simultaneously. From the crippleware development environment. Twice.

Conclusion: after 2 chapters, I have absolutely no idea who the main character is, what's happening to him, or what his goals are. Basically, I have absolutely no reason to continue playing.

Also, the story/gameplay segregation is awful. I'm sitting here sneaking around like 47 zombies (zombies! In 2014! Shocking!), because I have no ammo left in my pistol. I reach the end of the segment and then my character, in the cutscene, FIRES OFF A SHOT! HE HAD A BULLET? THE WHOLE TIME!? WHY COULDN'T I USE IT!?!?!?

Also I loved the bit when I was carrying a LIT TORCH around and I needed to burn a corpse, so I walked up to the corpse and hit B and... my character used up a MATCH!? You're holding a LIT TORCH! I have like 2 matches left, you fucker, WHY DID YOU WASTE ONE!?

It was nice that I didn't see any quicktime events. I was worried, since people were saying it was like Resident Evil, and those games are basically nothing but quicktime events. Also, they suck.

• Garbage Person

Status: Wondering why my test cluster has decided "Drop node from cluster" (so I can do some testing that only requires a single unit) means "YOU SHOULD TOTALLY TRY SENDING ALL THE WORLD TO THAT ONE!"

• I see all these people out here playing serious games, and I'm just waiting for Lego Batman 3.

• Status: Spent waaay too much time making this joke video, which will probably just be Content ID'ed anyway:

Crimes Against the State – 00:30
    — blakeyrat

• FoxDev

Status: trying to find a picture of me.... ANY picture of me.

i know i'm a little photophobic, but i thought that someone would have one of me by now. the only two i've been able to find are one of me at 2 playing with a garden hose and one at 16, which is too old....

wait... i do hove my DL picture..... i mean it looks rather like a mugshot, but they all do anyway.

• @FrostCat said:

but I do all my driving in stop and go city traffic, and the idea of having to shift constantly too? Ugh, no thanks.

The problem, in my experience, is not constant shifting, but your left leg getting tired from having the clutch pedal pushed to the floor 90% of the time (but never completely stopped long enough to just shift to neutral and relax).

• @dkf said:

it really is sunnier in the Pacific Northwest than in this part of the UK.

That is the saddest thing I have read today.

• Current status: watching Red Zone, waiting for my wife to come back from her trip on her birthday. Probably will go change the oil in my car soon.

So basically, the most ordinary Sunday ever, aside from the bday thing.

I'm sensing a theme, either way, of too much work.