The Official Status Thread

• BINNED

Status: Thinking if I need anything else backed up from my / partition... I have my /etc/hosts, my Apache config and, just in case, my Postgres directory, even though the databases are backed up separately... hmm...

• Just back up the entire /etc tree and probably most of /var.

• BINNED

But there's a bunch of stuff in there I actually want to clean up!

Oh, network manager configs! Because I don't really feel like setting all the VPNs up again...

• kills Dumbledore

@Onyx said:

return_val

The code base I work with prefers _bRetVal. Or sometimes _bIsOK or _bFailed

They also believe in "no early returns" and "declare all your variables at the start of the method". Which leads to 1000+ LoC methods with the first 10-20 lines all about declaring variables, with the underscore/Hungarian combination of naming conventions

• What's the significance of the _b prefix?

I worked on a codebase once where it was required to prefix all function-local variables with l, which was infuriating. I hardly ever write functions which are more than 20 lines long! I know it's local because can see where the variable is introduced!

• BINNED

@Jaloopa said:

declare all your variables at the start of the method

I wonder how often that's caused by misinformation that's still taught at schools and colleges to this day. In my C class I was taught you have to declare all your variables in the beginning, and that you can't have something like int a[some_var]; (unless some_var is a #defined constant). I don't know what century those people live in, but gcc doesn't seem to be complaining. Didn't complain then either.

On topic, such as it is:

Yes, old ISO, I don't care, will dist-upgrade after install.

• FoxDev

@tar said:

What's the significance of the _b prefix?

Boolean would be my guess; no idea why the _ though.

• kills Dumbledore

@RaceProUK said:

Boolean would be my guess

Yes. Hungarian, because it's better to have a less readable name than remember that Visual Studio tells you the type when you hover over a variable

@RaceProUK said:

no idea why the _ though

There is at least an argument to be made for this on class level variables, so they all show up together at the top of the navigation dropdown. I don't particularly agree with the argument but it does exist. In method scoped local variables, it's just silly though.

• BINNED

@RaceProUK said:

Boolean would be my guess; no idea why the _ though.

Saw that used for member variables, or to indicate private .

And Hanzo'd.

Edit: oh, also, I have seen m_varname used for private members (I actually use it at times) so it doesn't collide with your getter name in a class.

• kills Dumbledore

@Onyx said:

m_varname

Wasn't that the standard that Microsoft set in MFC days?

• BINNED

@Jaloopa said:

Wasn't that the standard that Microsoft set in MFC days?

Saw it in multiple examples in Qt docs / tutorials. Not sure if it's the actual coding standard for Qt stuff. I guess I should check that...

• I thought that if you were using _ to indicate class scope (in C/C++ at least), you were supposed to put it on the end off your variable name, because any name starting with _ is reserved for the compiler implementation, and you leave yourself open to unpleasant surprises with symbol collision. (A variable called _Bool is going to trip up a C99 compiler...)

• @tar said:

...any name starting with _ is reserved for the compiler implementation...
    In C++ at least, that's only at global scope. Your _foo class member (or local, or even namespace scope I think) is safe.

You just can't start with _[A-Z] (i.e. underscore than capital), or contain a __; those identifiers are reserved in all scopes (e.g. could be used for a macro).

• FoxDev

• yes, why do you ask?

• [assuming actual question]

Because you said GLaDOS but you spelled it GLaDOs. GLaDOS means "genetic lifeform and disk operating system".

• now i see it. i knew what GLaDOS means

proof reading is a barrier to high looks at his post count eh, uhm to something

• Status: I wanna play Homeworld Remastered but it's too sunny.

• If it were python, tradition is that the underscore prefix means it's a complete throwaway variable that you can completely ignore and probably shouldn't touch.

Some people actually use just the underscore character for variable names in method scopes. Which was insanely confusing to me the first time I encountered a tuple like this (_, )

It that a buttcrack with a scar and a nub of a tail? WTF?

• I have used just _ as a "don't care" variable sometimes, inspired by ML. This often comes up in tuple unpacking; e.g. I might say something like x, _, y = some_list if I don't care about what the second element is. (Actually... I'm not sure I ever use it for anything but tuple unpacking. I guess it could also come as a lambda argument...)

I'd never refer to it later though, and use something like dummy just as often.

• I've never seen anyone refer to it after the fact. It's always just as you described in my experience. Tuple unpacking. And it's a really good cue for the reader of the code that you don't know/don't care/shouldn't touch if you know what's good for you.

When I was new to the language it was weird to me though. These days I see its usefulness.

• i've seen it on prolog:

maplist(_, [], []).
    maplist(P, [X|Xs], [Y|Ys]) :-
       call(P, X, Y),
       maplist(P, Xs, Ys).

as a "here goes anything" marker(IIRC)

• BINNED

Status: about to format my system partition and install Debian.

Goodbye Ubuntu and derivatives. Goodbye Ubuntu, you helped me transition from Windows with the awesome that was 6.06. Goodbye Mint, thank you for picking up where Ubuntu left off and helped me stay lazy but still not having a bunch of bloat installed.

And hello Debian, grandfather of them all. I was dismissive, I was lazy, and I saw the folly of my ways and I'm ready to tweak stuff myself if need be.

And no, I'm not going to go crazy and switch to Arch, or Gentoo, or something even more crazy soon. I hope.

I'll be back... as soon as crappy internet connection allows.

• Interesting. Is this just 'for science' or is there something about Debian that specifcally appeals over Ubuntu/Mint?

(I have a VPS running Debian, but I've yet to find a circumstance where it behaved differently to an Ubuntu one...)

• FoxDev

[You sure about that?](http://benlubar.github.io/useless-crap/jbo/glosser.html#mi nelci lo torcrida badydi'u .i lo go'i cu rigni do)

…fuck.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

😆
    MarkUpDownLeftRght working well as usual.

• FoxDev

Three bottles of Chimay does that pretty well, it seems.

@RaceProUK said:

Three bottles of Chimay does that pretty well, it seems.

Blue?

• FoxDev

One each of Red, White, and Blue

Blue is the best (and 'coincidentally' the strongest). Drank a lot of Blue in Belgium.

Blue > Red > White > Gold.

• Status: DST will begin in 1 hour. I wonder if my PC's time will be messed up the next time I use Windows.

• BINNED

root@jarvis:~# uname -a
    Linux jarvis 3.16.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.16.7-ckt7-1 (2015-03-01) x86_64 GNU/Linux

Yes, root. Something in my home dir seems to be upsetting Cinnamon but it's far too late to figure out what. It will wait until tomorrowI wake up.

@tar said:

Interesting. Is this just 'for science' or is there something about Debian that specifcally appeals over Ubuntu/Mint?

Ubuntu is full of bloat these days. I could go for some of the other *buntus, but I intend to use Cinnamon anyway, so everything they will install is just guff I have to remove myself.

Mint was fine by me, but they decided to stick to 14.04 base. I prefer to stay up to date with stuff (and also like shiny new toys). I'm familiar with Debian-based systems by now, I know where stuff is, I know how to use aptitude and dpkg so it seems like a logical step if I want to go away from *buntu crowd and still not stumble a lot. I did deal with CentOS so it's not like I'm not familiar with any other distro, but Debian appeals to me the most.

I also don't know if it's my perception, or the fact I didn't install all the stuff I usually do yet, but damn does this thing feel snappier so far. It sure boots faster, I can tell you that.

• I guess Debian is a logical place to go if you're familar with Ubuntu but want to jump off. (There's always Ubuntu Server edition—doesn't even come with a WM installed.)
    It's the 5 year support on the LTS which is Ubuntu's killer feature if you ask me. Not that it really matters, as long as it has apt...

• apt-get install jbofihe

• na go'i

• BINNED

@RaceProUK said:

Chimay

I had a few of these yesterday

• BINNED

Status: Managed to get an AWS EC2 instance running and connected to SSH.

That was the most confusing set of instructions ever. And I just skipped half of them anyway 😑

• FoxDev

yeah EC2 documentation is somewhat lacking in some critical areas.

• Good to see Amazon's PC software is well maintained and not at all an outdated pile of shit.

BTW, that lime-green color - their idea.

@Onyx said:

That was the most confusing set of instructions ever. And I just skipped half of them anyway

I'm sure it went through the important bits step-by-step and everything else could be figured out with some button pressing.

• BINNED

@loopback0 said:

I'm sure it went through the important bits step-by-step and everything else could be figured out with some button pressing.

No, it started with some links to their tools that send me deeper down the rabbit hole of links that led to no downloads nor instructions, constantly switching between two different tools (something Java based and CLI, though both referred to commands that should be executed in a CLI...), I had like 10 tabs of nothing useful.

And then I just went into the control panel thing, copied the DNS entry and SSHd into it by just copy-pasting that bit instead of going through some mystical install I couldn't find.

tl;dr; - first step is a recursive function that never exits and is utterly useless.

Oh the stupid Java SSH client thing?

• BINNED

Yeah, it wated me to use it to get id / DNS from it... which is utterly pointless since you can just read it in your control panel. Standard ssh client works without a hitch (as it should).

• FoxDev

The Java client is about as useful as a chocolate egg in a nuclear reactor core

• Java Dev

Status: decided yesterday to set up a sockbot instance. Then got a call this morning from work that an environment that got upgraded yesterday, which cost a bunch of people a bunch of time yesteday, was down again and today was my turn.

Got a birthday to visit tonight so I don't think much sockbot playing will occur today.

• Status: Still no ticket. Now the question is do I buy from scalpers now or wait a month or so...

Or not go at all, that's still an option, but it's a little silly considering the ticket is probably the smallest portion of the trip.

• I wouldn't say that arch is that crazy. Installing a DE is like two more steps. Don't use it on a production system of course.

• BINNED

@JazzyJosh said:

I wouldn't say that arch is that crazy. Installing a DE is like two more steps. Don't use it on a production system of course.

Well, ok, it has a package manager so it's relatively fine, but damn is it involved at times. Or people who I saw using it tend to overcomplicate things. Either way, while I have no problem diving into the CLI and getting my hands dirty when things don't work, what I saw of Arch so far seemed to indicate there's a greater need to do that than on Debian for example. And I'm just too lazy for that shit :P

That said, I had a few interesting problems with this Debian install. I got it all working now, but it's already a bit of change after Ubuntu's and Mint's "shit just works, yo" experience. But if this speed boost I'm experiencing is indicative of how it will behave in the long-run, I say it was worth it.

Maybe I should try getting that damned DPM working on my ATI now... newer kernel and all.

• BINNED

Status: Confused. Didn't GitHub have one private repo as a part of the free plan before?