Keep Categories, New Topic on top while scrolling

• In a world of infiscroll topics on the meta board, create topic cannot be done 'inline'.

This means if you're browsing for a period of time through old topics, perhaps searching for relevant items, you have to scroll all the way back to the top to create a new topic. Depending on how long you scroll, this might be quite far from where you left off (breaking create topic / back navigation that jumps to where you left off)

TL;DR?

Make the top meta line that has create topic a fixed element on screen, or a smaller section on screen somewhere.

Filed under: @sam @codinghorror [FR]

• @Matches said:

you have to scroll all the way back to the top to create a new topic.

Doesn't Home work?

• Not without a keyboard.

More context needed:

Not without a full keyboard that includes buttons such as 'Home'

Notably, my mobile keyboard doesn't have a home button.

• Banned

How about "Reply as New Topic" on the right gutter? That lets you start a reply.

You can also delete the default contents of the reply if you don't want any connection to the current post you triggered it from.

• Pssst:
    @Matches said:

In a world of infiscroll topics on the meta board, create topic cannot be done 'inline'.

@Matches what you could do is click on the logo, it'll reload you to the top of the "Latest" list and back to the Create Topic button.

• I suppose that's a work around. Still involves a page refresh, but thus is the magic of infiscroll.

No, spoke too soon. Clicking the logo takes you to the overall most recent topics board (which is actually what you said, but I misread it as 'the topic you're looking at most recent'), rather than the board you were looking at. You have to renavigate or identify which board you're trying to post to instead of automagically populating for you.

In the grand scheme of things, this is fairly minor, but annoying nonetheless.

• Actually, the second question that New Topic asks you is which category you want to post to. I'd say that losing the category context is pretty much a nonissue - the category you want should be on your mind while you try to create a new topic.