Left side navigation breakage (that’s different)

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

Every iOS (and thus Safari) update I install is progressively breaking more of the functionality of the left side navigation menu on mobile.

A month or so ago and iOS 14.something.I.forget made it so that recent notification details don’t show in the Mac bar. You still get the number of notifications on the hamburger menu, and when you open the menu the “view all notifications” link is there, but none of the recent notifications show.

Now with iOS 15.1, any time you try to scroll in the navigation menu so you can get to the “view all notifications” link, it closes the menu when you release your finger from the scroll. So you have to open the menu, scroll, open the menu AGAIN (thank Cthulhu it doesn’t lose your scroll place), and then click on “view all notifications” to actually see or interact with your notifications.

Oh, and to top it all off, the number on the hamburger menu never updates dynamically: whatever number of notifications you had when you first loaded the forum is what will show until you do a full refresh or reload. Navigation within the app does not update the number of notifications shown on the menu, regardless of how many notifications you clear by visiting them.

Fake edit: ok, I’ve determined that the “notifications don’t load in the menu” (and thus presumably the dynamic updates to the count as displayed on the hamburger) were failing because of the content filter I use on my phone. But the “menu auto closes after scroll is still happening on “virgin” Safari. I know we have somewhat of a tradition of never updating, more so in the brave new dictator world… but can we pleeease try an updated version of NodeBB to pick up the various bug fixes and new bugs that we’re missing?

• kills Dumbledore

Yeah, I switched to an iPhone a month or so ago and between this and the weird behaviour in reply boxes the forum is far more irritating to use than on android.

Swiping to bring up the menus, besides the danger of starting :3px: too far over and navigating back, is a horrible mess of being partially swiped in one frame, gone the next, repeat. Then you scroll it down and it disappears