Sportsball WTF

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

Incentive for losing the Big 10 title game: $500,000
    Incentive for winning the Big 10 title game: $1,000,000
    Incentive for coming up just short of the national playoff: $200,000
    Incentive for just making the playoff: $500,000
    Incentive for winning the national title: $1,000,000

Max possible incentive for academic progress of his players (and this requires a near perfect Academic Progress Rate): $150,000

aLl AbOuT aCaDeMiCs :mocking_spongebob:

• BINNED

@izzion said in Sportsball WTF:

Max possible incentive for academic progress of his players (and this requires a near perfect Academic Progress Rate): $150,000

You know he's just the football coach, right?

What do you think he's supposed to be doing to improve the academic performance of football players? Isn't that the job of the professors?

Do the actual professors at Michigan get bonuses based on how well their students perform academically?

• Considered Harmful

@GuyWhoKilledBear said in Sportsball WTF:

Yeah those are the only people in US education with newsworthy comp packages.

What do you think he's supposed to be doing to improve the academic performance of football players? Isn't that the job of the professors?

Depends a lot on their practice and away schedules.

Do the actual professors at Michigan get bonuses based on how well their students perform academically?

Hahaha, of course not, see first response in this post.

Just seems a bit hypocritical of NCAA institutions to claim that collegiate sports is all about the academic benefits it brings to the players when the football coach's incentive structure places 15x more value on winning football games than academic performance.

• @GuyWhoKilledBear said in Sportsball WTF:

Isn't that the job of the professors?

The professors who are actively punished for failing or even requiring actual work out of the football players? The ones who are required to turn a blind eye to everything?

• Considered Harmful

@Benjamin-Hall data has consistently shown gaming the measurement system to be the most effective approach.

• BINNED

Just seems a bit hypocritical of NCAA institutions to claim that collegiate sports is all about the academic benefits it brings to the players when the football coach's incentive structure places 15x more value on winning football games than academic performance.

Then get better professors, or a better dean, or better trustees, or a better Governor of Michigan.

You're pointing at literally the only person on campus whose job it isn't to educate students.

If you got rid of all the NCAA football programs in the country, it wouldn't make football players, or students at large, any smarter.

• BINNED

@Benjamin-Hall said in Sportsball WTF:

Isn't that the job of the professors?

The professors who are actively punished for failing or even requiring actual work out of the football players? The ones who are required to turn a blind eye to everything?

The football coach isn't supposed to be in charge of professors. If that's happening at Michigan, the person who can fix it is higher up the food chain.

You're pointing at literally the only person on campus whose job it isn't to educate students.

@izzion is not blaming the coach. He's blaming the academic system.

If you got rid of all the NCAA football programs in the country, it wouldn't make football players, or students at large, any smarter.

The money that's spent on this is not being spent on education.

• BINNED

@Zerosquare said in Sportsball WTF:

He's not complaining about money being paid to the academic system. He's complaining about money being paid to the coach.

Sure, but what money are we talking about?

The actual dirty little secret of college athletics is that schools run athletic programs to solicit donations from rich alumni. All these programs operate at a loss on actual revenue (ticket and merchandise sales, TV deals, etc.) But enough people donate money to the school based on the success of the football program that the school winds up making a profit that's used to fund the rest of the school.

If you shut down the football program, you can't transfer that money into academics, because a lot of that money is going to stop getting donated and the school won't have it at all.

He's not complaining about money being paid to the academic system. He's complaining about money being paid to the coach.

The actual dirty little secret of college athletics is that schools run athletic programs to solicit donations from rich alumni. All these programs operate at a loss on actual revenue (ticket and merchandise sales, TV deals, etc.) But enough people donate money to the school based on the success of the football program that the school winds up making a profit that's used to fund the rest of the school.

If you shut down the football program, you can't transfer that money into academics, because a lot of that money is going to stop getting donated and the school won't have it at all.

My only complaint is that NCAA schools constantly complain that they can't pay the athletes they're exploiting for those donations, because amateurism / academics is the focus. But then you see the big bucks flowing around to the coaches and how their incentives are structured, and it makes an absolute mockery out of the concept that the academics are the focus. Hell, it's obvious that they're not even second place consideration.

If you want to keep exploiting your work force, be honest about it. But complaining "academics" when you pay your coaches millions of base salary and additional millions of bonuses for winning games and a pittance for academic progress incentives just makes you look like a politician.

• @GuyWhoKilledBear: I don't have any reason to disbelieve what you've said. But that makes it an even bigger :wtf:.

I mean, tuition in American universities isn't cheap. It's so expensive student debt is a major issue. Yet they can't survive without rich people's donations? And said rich people don't even care about education, they're just in it for the sports?

• BINNED

My only complaint is that NCAA schools constantly complain that they can't pay the athletes they're exploiting for those donations, because amateurism / academics is the focus. But then you see the big bucks flowing around to the coaches and how their incentives are structured, and it makes an absolute mockery out of the concept that the academics are the focus. Hell, it's obvious that they're not even second place consideration.

If you want to keep exploiting your work force, be honest about it. But complaining "academics" when you pay your coaches millions of base salary and additional millions of bonuses for winning games and a pittance for academic progress incentives just makes you look like a politician.

I don't know what the football coach has to do with any of that. None of the academic stuff is supposed to be his priority. He's there to win football games, which is why his contract has real incentives for winning games and bullshit incentives for Academic Progress Rate. (I'm guessing you didn't check this, but Harbaugh has been above his conference's average in APR for his entire career.)

Look, I think college football players should get paid too. And so does Jim Harbaugh. After all, he's a guy who took a team of professional football players (minimum salary $300,000/yr) to the Super Bowl.

But "The head football coach makes too much money" is the dumbest possible argument you can muster to support the idea of paying these kids.

Sure, to a certain extent the schools are exploiting the players. But to try to blame that on the coach's contract, rather than a deeper problem with how the schools work, is wrong.

• ♿ (Parody)

@GuyWhoKilledBear: I don't have any reason to disbelieve what you've said. But that makes it an even bigger :wtf:.

I mean, tuition in American universities isn't cheap. It's so expensive student debt is a major issue. Yet they can't survive without rich people's donations? And said rich people don't even care about education, they're just in it for the sports?

Over the last few decades they've gone insane in hiring extra administrators and paying them exorbitant salaries. All that easy student debt has been a major cause for the increase in tuition. The money's there so they keep jacking up the prices.

• BINNED

@GuyWhoKilledBear: I don't have any reason to disbelieve what you've said. But that makes it an even bigger :wtf:.

They're two different things.

Rich college donors what to "own" their college football team for the same reason slightly richer people want to own professional sports teams. It's prestigious to own (or "own") a winning sports team.

Colleges administrators will take money from the athletic department if offered, because why wouldn't they?

College is so expensive because Federal government subsidizes the shit out of it. That problem is completely unrelated to the athletics program.

The United States beat New Zealand 5-0 in the SheBelieves Cup in Carson, California, on Sunday afternoon thanks in large part to three own goals from New Zealand defender Meikayla Moore.

Not her best outing.

• ♿ (Parody)

31dbde2a-cc27-4496-afe6-a9238abbea79-image.png

• Fake News

@boomzilla said in Sportsball WTF:

Over the last few decades they've gone insane in hiring extra administrators and paying them exorbitant salaries.

They're also in a constant arms race of building more and more palatial dorms and facilities.

A double feature Country music WTF:

• BINNED

The International Automobile Federation (FIA) is the organization that sanctions most non-US automobile racing, most famously Formula 1.

TLDR:

They also sanction some video game racing competitions, and now apparently they sanction people who stream video games online. In order to promote safety, they're requiring streamers who participate in their competitions to wear five point racing harnesses in order to promote safety. Even when they're not streaming in an FIA competition.

This is actually a very well executed April Fool's joke by this sim racing news website. I totally bit on it, and came this close to going to one of the Garage threads to bitch about it. Thank God I clicked on the PDF they link that turned out to be a picture of Rick Ashley.

• 🚽 Regular

@GuyWhoKilledBear

My honest opinion on the matter

The best April Fools jokes are those that go between the believable yet bizarre "real news" and the outrageous Onion/Bee-esque satire. This one achieves it pretty well.

• @The_Quiet_One

Yeah, they are right there on that 'This is completely asinine but yet I can still see someone doing it' line. Well done I say.

Live on 168 hour tape delay!

That’ll leave a mark on someone’s resume…

• Considered Harmful

@izzion are the Generals still keeping their noses clean? I dunno if I could take that betrayal.

• ♿ (Parody)

@Gribnit oh, man, Curly would have been pissed.

• BINNED

Everything from Boston is terrible, so good job, Mr. Irving.

But isn't Kyrie Irving himself from Boston? :thonking:

• BINNED

But isn't Kyrie Irving himself from Boston? :thonking:

No?

I don't follow the NBA, so I read part of the Wikipedia page you posted. He was born in Australia, he played his college ball at Duke (in North Carolina) and he currently plays for the Brooklyn Nets.

He used to play for Boston, but AIUI, he left because he hates Boston fans.

Truly a man after my own heart.

ETA: Also he grew up in New Jersey. HELL YEAH

• @GuyWhoKilledBear So, his entire life has been spent in terrible places.

• Considered Harmful

@HardwareGeek said in Sportsball WTF:

@GuyWhoKilledBear So, his entire life has been spent in terrible places.

At this rate, Florida within a decade.

Such a sad case.

• BINNED

@HardwareGeek said in Sportsball WTF:

@GuyWhoKilledBear So, his entire life has been spent in terrible places.

Hey! No trolling outside the Garage.

Why does a goaltender even dope? How much do bigger pecs help with sitting in front of a little square? :tro-pop:

• @izzion said in Sportsball WTF:

Why does a goaltender even dope? How much do bigger pecs help with sitting in front of a little square? :tro-pop:

Big enough that you don't even have to move?
    65083977-b3c9-466d-a7b7-b9bb2e1ca562-image.png

• BINNED

6C44F61F-244B-4358-B8DB-0D7BD2CA9062.png

2A86EEBE-4C0E-4664-AE69-660CAB611561.png

ED663A21-95A5-4C56-AE24-ECA9826E6542.png

• BINNED

@topspin said in Sportsball WTF:

6C44F61F-244B-4358-B8DB-0D7BD2CA9062.png

2A86EEBE-4C0E-4664-AE69-660CAB611561.png

ED663A21-95A5-4C56-AE24-ECA9826E6542.png

It's not right.

Think about it. The NHL plays with four officials on the ice - two referees and two linesmen. Only the referees are allowed to initiate a face-off, but even if you were to let the linesmen do it too, there'd only be four officials. They couldn't drop five pucks.

Also there's nine faceoff dots, not five. (Two in each offensive zone, two in each neutral zone, plus one at center ice.)

The actual NHL overtime procedures in the regular season is you play 3 periods of 20 minutes each. If you're tied at the end of regulation, there's a 5 minute, sudden death 3v3 period (3 skaters plus a goaltender per side.) If you're tied at the end of THAT, you go to a best of five shoot-out. If you're STILL tied, you keep the shoot-out going until there's a winner.

If you win the game in the first 65 minutes, but not the shootout, you're credited with a Regulation/Overtime Win (or ROW). "Who has the most ROW?" is the first tiebreaker when two teams are tied in the standings at the end of the season.

The overtime procedure in all rounds of the playoffs is called Continuous Overtime. You play a 20 minutes period of 5v5 hockey, or until someone scores to break the tie. It's sudden death, so as soon as someone scores, that's the end of the game.

If you're still tied at the end of 20 minutes, there's an intermission, and then you play another 20 minute sudden death period, followed by an intermission, and so on until somebody scores.

In principle, a playoff hockey game could go on forever.

The NHL playoffs are the best tournament in sports.

• @GuyWhoKilledBear sudden death rounds would need much more fun if the name was literal. I'm thinking exploding pucks. Note: :tro-pop:

• ♿ (Parody)

It's not right.

:fun: :killitwithfire:

• @GuyWhoKilledBear

The actual NHL overtime procedures in the regular season is you play 3 periods of 20 minutes each. If you're tied at the end of regulation, there's a 5 minute, sudden death 3v3 period (3 skaters plus a goaltender per side.) If you're tied at the end of THAT, you go to a best of five shoot-out. If you're STILL tied, you keep the shoot-out going until there's a winner.

Isn't it a best of 3 shoot-out now?

The longest professional game was in 1936, 116 minutes of overtime.

The next closest was in 2000 clocking in at a respectable 92 minutes of overtime played.

The NCAA tournament is fun to watch as well. Go DU Pioneers and their record tieing 9th national championship.

the best tournament in sports.

Somewhat like the "best" case of ebola.

• BINNED

@GuyWhoKilledBear whoa! Cricket ON ICE! 🚎

🦗 ⛸

@Dragoon said in Sportsball WTF:

@GuyWhoKilledBear

The longest professional game was in 1936, 116 minutes of overtime.

The next closest was in 2000 clocking in at a respectable 92 minutes of overtime played.

The NCAA tournament is fun to watch as well. Go DU Pioneers and their record tieing 9th national championship.

It was so surreal to cheer for a team in Boston University colors. But they were playing Michigan, so I was able to put away the ghosts of 2009 (gawd, I'm old).

That said, the Verizon Center's upper deck has some damn good sight lines to watch a fluky deflection flutter up and over your goalie's shoulder and glide oh so slowly through the crease to drive a dagger into your heart.

• BINNED

@Dragoon said in Sportsball WTF:

@GuyWhoKilledBear

That's right, they changed it to best of three.

That it is.

DU has a special place in my heart. You guys were the first team my alma mater ever beat in the NCAA tournament. It was 2010, and the Tigers were on the way to their first (and to date, only) Frozen Four appearance.

The NCAA just changed the rules to allow otherwise-D3 schools with D1 teams to give D1 scholarships to D1 athletes.

So hopefully we'll be seeing more of each other in the NCAA tournament.

give D1 scholarships to D1 athletes.

That thread is :arrows:. I don't remember which thread it is, but it's in the :trolley-garage:.

• ♿ (Parody)

I could be that guy...

355fe1ef-7041-4ab6-9e1f-82f2ac139d01-image.png

@boomzilla said in Sportsball WTF:

I could be that guy...

355fe1ef-7041-4ab6-9e1f-82f2ac139d01-image.png

A drunkard unlike any other 🏆

• @izzion You could even call him a....Master(s) drunkard

• ♿ (Parody)

@izzion I mean, I do have some pride and would at least have Bud Diesel out on the course instead of Miller Lite.

I wonder if WWE appearances fall under the new NIL rules 🤔

Is there any event in sports more pure than the bean brawl?