Banner disappears when moving downthread

• Go to a biggish thread (one that does not fully load in one go). I'll use the funny stuff thread here for illustration. Go to anywhere in the middle of the thread (or at the start and scroll a tiny bit down). The top of the page looks like this:

6d59ac55-d8a3-42ab-ae15-d876d3b0ccd8-image.png

Notice the thread title, and the category icon (which is actually a link to the category page, something that I find very useful to e.g. quickly readignore all garage junk).

Now skip to the end of the thread with e.g. the End key, the top now looks like this:

8f9c9604-958e-4dfc-9a57-ceefda530338-image.png

Whoopsie. I hope you remember which thread you were in (looks weird but not really an issue, I'm :belt_onion: but I still remember he was called Aloïs) and more importantly to me, the category icon and link is also gone.

It only happens when you jump forward (either to the end, or if using the thingy at the top where you enter a post number to jump to -- note that if you jump backwards the title/icon reappears, it's only forward jumps that cause it), and only if the thread is large enough to not have all posts pre-loaded (I think). Obviously in my case, with infiniscroll on.

Manually scrolling slowly enough (i.e. like you're normally reading all posts) does not trigger the issue. Scrolling fast enough sometimes cause some sort of jelly potatoing, but that's a different thing.

• @remi said in Banner disappears when moving downthread:

Go to a biggish thread (one that does not fully load in one go). I'll use the funny stuff thread here for illustration. Go to anywhere in the middle of the thread (or at the start and scroll a tiny bit down). The top of the page looks like this:

6d59ac55-d8a3-42ab-ae15-d876d3b0ccd8-image.png

Notice the thread title, and the category icon (which is actually a link to the category page, something that I find very useful to e.g. quickly readignore all garage junk).

Now skip to the end of the thread with e.g. the End key, the top now looks like this:

8f9c9604-958e-4dfc-9a57-ceefda530338-image.png

Whoopsie. I hope you remember which thread you were in (looks weird but not really an issue, I'm :belt_onion: but I still remember he was called Aloïs) and more importantly to me, the category icon and link is also gone.

It only happens when you jump forward (either to the end, or if using the thingy at the top where you enter a post number to jump to -- note that if you jump backwards the title/icon reappears, it's only forward jumps that cause it), and only if the thread is large enough to not have all posts pre-loaded (I think). Obviously in my case, with infiniscroll on.

Manually scrolling slowly enough (i.e. like you're normally reading all posts) does not trigger the issue. Scrolling fast enough sometimes cause some sort of jelly potatoing, but that's a different thing.

Anything that can reduce the size of those obnoxious sticky headers is a feature, not a bug.

• Java Dev

IIRC, the title disappearing entirely is standard nodebb behaviour, and the banner is a wtdwtf css hack.

• @PleegWat To me the banner is an extremely good UI behaviour and if it's not standard NodeBB, they're :doing_it_wrong:, at least in desktop mode. I don't use mobile so I can't comment there and maybe it makes sense to save space, but definitely not in desktop mode.

So what I'm saying is that there is a bug in a hack around a UI failure. 👍

• @remi said in Banner disappears when moving downthread:

@PleegWat To me the banner is an extremely good UI behaviour and if it's not standard NodeBB, they're :doing_it_wrong:, at least in desktop mode. I don't use mobile so I can't comment there and maybe it makes sense to save space, but definitely not in desktop mode.

So what I'm saying is that there is a bug in a hack around a UI failure. 👍

Sticky headers are bad UI behavior, even in desktop mode. The banner is doing it worse.

• @jinpa said in Banner disappears when moving downthread:

Sticky headers are bad UI behavior

1. why?
    2. it's (almost) identical to the perma-header with icons, thread post count, notifications etc. so really, what's the difference?

And
    3) not having the thread title/category is even worse UI behaviour.
    4) having a sticky header that comes and goes semi-randomly (i.e. this bug report) is yet more worser.

• Also now that I've filed that report, I've been watching each thread I browsed and for some reason sometimes the issue doesn't happen, even after a couple a jumps back and forth. So it's not consistently broken, which I assume is how the broken code got there in the first place (aka "the single test case I used for 2s worked" standard of QA that we're all used to).

• I consistently have the banner not appearing/disappearing issue when entering a thread from unread/category listing in the same tab. Open the same thread in a new tab instead or refresh the page and the banner is there (may require scrolling to kick in).

It may also require a standard last read bookmark to trigger the bug. I opened this thread for the first time, and the banner is there. I opened the bugs forum in a new tab, then opened this thread again in that tab, no banner.

• @coderpatsy That's... interesting (and it does match some of my observations, now that I think about it). It would tend to mean that somehow, this bit of CSS relating to public information (thread title/category) that does not depend on anything on the user side (whether they have bookmarks or not etc.), well, does actually depend on stuff on the user side.

I'd suspect some interaction with user-specific CSS, but then the only one I have is to remove the Lounge background, AFAIR, so that seems unlikely to be the cause.